Boat Winterizing

dietbud

This is my first winter as a boat owner and am in search of someone that winterizes boats. Could someone either PM me with a name and number?
Thanks

dietbud said:
This is my first winter as a boat owner and am in search of someone that winterizes boats. Could someone either PM me with a name and number?
Thanks
Any marina. I always do my own, since it's a pretty small job on mine.

bohman

dietbud said:
Thanks

Like desertrat said, any marina can handle that. What county/body of water are you in? If you have a small boat, something you can trailer home for the winter, it'll probably be a lot more cost effective to do it yourself. Most winterization tasks aren't really difficult, but I'm a little biased because winterization for me just means lifting the o/b off the transom and bringing it home to flush & store.

dietbud

bohman said:
Like desertrat said, any marina can handle that. What county/body of water are you in? If you have a small boat, something you can trailer home for the winter, it'll probably be a lot more cost effective to do it yourself. Most winterization tasks aren't really difficult, but I'm a little biased because winterization for me just means lifting the o/b off the transom and bringing it home to flush & store.

I keep my boat out of the water already. It is an I/O Merc Cruiser. I live in Drum Point (Calvert County). A buddy of mine that used to work at Loffler Marine a long time ago said that I might want to have someone winterize it for me the first time just to be on the safe side.

bohman

Is your buddy still in the area? If he's knowledgeable, maybe you could get him to come over and help you get it right. Offer up a six pack or dinner in exchange for the help. Otherwise, you could probably just trailer over to the nearest marina and have it done.

dietbud said:
I keep my boat out of the water already. It is an I/O Merc Cruiser. I live in Drum Point (Calvert County). A buddy of mine that used to work at Loffler Marine a long time ago said that I might want to have someone winterize it for me the first time just to be on the safe side.
Buy a can of engine fogger and use it. Put Stabil in the gas and run the engine for a couple minutes to get it into the fuel system (do this before fogging the motor). Drain any water in the motor. Some people go so far as to replace the water with antifreeze. Just make sure you properly dispose of the antifreeze in the spring. Lube your trailer wheel bearings and any greese fittings on the outdrive. Put the trailer on jackstands to keep the tires off the ground to keep them from flatspotting. Pull the battery and put it on a trickle charger inside the house/garage (you never want to let a battery freeze if it's not fully charged, it's not good for them). Place it on a piece of wood, not directly on the concrete floor.

LordStanley

I know nothing
winterizing boats is an easy process. If you have a single engine boat, I suggest you start to learn this winter and do it yourself.

Now depending on how new the boat or engine model is will vary on what you need.

I suggest the following.

- winterization Kits that connects to your outdrive. this will allow you to circulate the antifreeze throught the engine.
-Marine and Rv antifreeze. (walmart has it for sale really cheap)
-oil change kit. You stick a tube down where your dipstick goes, Reaching all the way down to the oil pan. Pump out the old oil and replace with new, and a new filter.
-fogging spray. while engine is running you spray this down the carb to coat inside of the engine. You can also pull the spark plugs and shoot some fluid down there too.
-StaBil fuel stabilizer. Add this to your gas for storage.
-one pastic trash bag to tape around your outdrive to keep dirt and water from getting into your lower unit.

Now you may spend a little bit of money the first time, but If you plan to keep the boat for a while is will save you money the next season.

bohman

huntr1 said:
Pull the battery and put it on a trickle charger inside the house/garage (you never want to let a battery freeze if it's not fully charged, it's not good for them). Place it on a piece of wood, not directly on the concrete floor.

Why is that? I just started hearing this advice this year.

dietbud

Thanks for all the information. I will look to tackle this project this weekend. I will go ahead and do it myself and see how it works out.

Cause if I get my buddy to help we would just.... :alkies:

LordStanley

I know nothing
bohman said:
Why is that? I just started hearing this advice this year.

Everyone I boat with, never pulls the battery. They just disconnect it from the boat, but leave it in its holder.

Dont leave it on a trickle charger over the whole winter. What a waste of electricity

LordStanley

I know nothing
dietbud said:
Thanks for all the information. I will look to tackle this project this weekend. I will go ahead and do it myself and see how it works out.

Cause if I get my buddy to help we would just.... :alkies:

If you want precise directions, PM me and I will give you a list. Its really not that hard. Will probably take you about 2 hours the first time.

Then after that 45 mins

bohman

LordStanley said:
Everyone I boat with, never pulls the battery. They just disconnect it from the boat, but leave it in its holder.

That's a viable option, too. I just wondered why, if I pull it, should it be placed on wood and not directly on the garage floor?

Agee

bohman said:
That's a viable option, too. I just wondered why, if I pull it, should it be placed on wood and not directly on the garage floor?

I believe the idea is to keep the battery away from the winter cold. Be it a cold garage floor or left in the boat. It's also a good idea to remove the batteries from your tractors, lawn mowers, etc.

LordStanley

I know nothing
Its actually a myth. Well sort of. It used to be an issue back when battery casings were made of hard rubber. If any acid leaked out on the concrete it would create a conductive path and drain the battery.

since all batterys todday are made of non-pourous material, this is not a problem.

Now Ive also read that the cooler the temperature the slower the rate of discharge. So it just depends on what expert you talk to.

I say pull the cables for safety reasons. Nothing like some electrical device shorting out over the winter and possibly causing a fire.
Now the chances of that are remote. but Im just anal and I disconnect mine

Here is a tip. go to walmart. buy one of their batteries. they have a 2 year noquestions asked return policy. If your battery looses charge over the winter and you dont feel like spending the time putting it on a charger, take it back to walmart and return it for a new one. We do it all the time.

Cinderella_Babe

If you decide that you dont want to tackle the job yourself...You can always take it down to the Boatel California next to the Solomons bridge.