Braxton Hicks

DosGattos

I am 38 weeks pregnant and I have been having painful regular contractions for weeks. When they get really bad I call my drs office and they basically tell me to suck it up. Aside from my water breaking how am I really going to know when I am in labor? I would really hate to have my baby at home or have something happen because I just ignore the contractions. Anyone else have experience with this?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I am 38 weeks pregnant and I have been having painful regular contractions for weeks. When they get really bad I call my drs office and they basically tell me to suck it up. Aside from my water breaking how am I really going to know when I am in labor? I would really hate to have my baby at home or have something happen because I just ignore the contractions. Anyone else have experience with this?

:huggy:

:jameo:

lovinmaryland

I had Braxton Hicks w/ all my babies and the last one (#5) I had them starting at 4 months. I ended up having to go to the hospital to have them give me medicine to stop them w/ her.

If you are that concerned about them I would go to the ER or L&D. Wait til the evening when the Dr's office is closed :lol:

Is this your first baby?

DQ2B

Every labor is different. There could be many things that "tell" you. With my first I started throwing up the night before. Sleep became impossible and eventually it "should" become difficult to talk or do anything else while a contraction is happening.

nicole_M

I had Braxton Hicks w/ all my babies and the last one (#5) I had them starting at 4 months. I ended up having to go to the hospital to have them give me medicine to stop them w/ her.

If you are that concerned about them I would go to the ER or L&D. Wait til the evening when the Dr's office is closed :lol:

Is this your first baby?

:yeahthat: You are close to full term, I wouldn't ignore them for much longer.

I was on Terbutaline for months while pregnant with my twins. Made a daily trip to L & D because my dr. would not allow me to have a Terb. pump.

The shot stings like hell, but whatever worked to keep the babies in for longer was ok with me.

BTW - It was my body telling me it was time for labor since I was so big, the babies never had any issues and were born by a scheduled c-section at 38 weeks and both weighed over 7lbs :)

I had preterm labor from about 26 weeks until 32 weeks, then it just stopped!

DosGattos

This is my first baby and I don't want to seem whiny or overly paranoid! Unfortunately, my drs office is not civillian and they don't seem to care as much. If it continues for the rest of the day I might just pay L&D a visit. At least if nothing else they can alleviate some of my concerns.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
This is my first baby and I don't want to seem whiny or overly paranoid! Unfortunately, my drs office is not civillian and they don't seem to care as much. If it continues for the rest of the day I might just pay L&D a visit. At least if nothing else they can alleviate some of my concerns.

:yay:

How close together are they? If they're regular and five minutes or less I would be waddling off to the hospital as fast as you can!

P.S. Good luck and congrats! :huggy:

lovinmaryland

You can DEFINITELY tell the difference between real contractions and braxton hicks. If you are having a hard time talking through them they are real.

W. my first 3 my doctors office was like that so I would just go to L&D. They would hook me up watch me and sometimes do a quick sonogram. It set my mind at ease.

Keep us posted, I love babies!!! :love:

SoMDGirl42

I had braxten hicks bad with all 3 of mine. When you can start timing them and they come in regular intervals 5 minutes or less apart and last a minute, it's time. They'll start becoming painful as well.

Good luck. :buddies:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
if it's your first the chances of you having the baby at home are slim.

I had BH for awhile before I went into labor. In labor it was just, different. If they aren't regular you do kinda have to suck it up. and I can say that with a straight face since I already had her :killingme

the average for a first time mom is 40 weeksplus 8 days. in all likelyhood you have a while to go. I hate to say it, cuz I hated it when other people said it to me..but you will def know. no doubt about it, you will know.

I didn't sleep for two days. I just sat beside the bed and waited. having a baby is so strange:killingme

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
You can DEFINITELY tell the difference between real contractions and braxton hicks. If you are having a hard time talking through them they are real.

W. my first 3 my doctors office was like that so I would just go to L&D. They would hook me up watch me and sometimes do a quick sonogram. It set my mind at ease.

:yeahthat:

And you will be cussing up a storm and crying.

Exactly! I had Braxton Hicks that went from 20 minutes apart down to 5 minutes apart... went in the the hospital with a smile on my face because I was excited to be having that baby! They sent me home with false labor. They told me, "Honey, if you can talk and walk... it's not the real deal. You'll know when the real contractions kick in."

For both mine... my water broke first, then the "real deal" kicked in... there was definately a difference.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

:yay:.... my friend had them for almost three weeks straight!!!

.... but whatever you do... when your water breaks... go to the hospital!! :coffee:

sockgirl77

Exactly! I had Braxton Hicks that went from 20 minutes apart down to 5 minutes apart... went in the the hospital with a smile on my face because I was excited to be having that baby! They sent me home with false labor. They told me, "Honey, if you can talk and walk... it's not the real deal. You'll know when the real contractions kick in."

For both mine... my water broke first, then the "real deal" kicked in... there was definately a difference.

:yeahthat:

If she was in active labor, I highly doubt she'd be posting on here. :lol:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
I guess I'm dumber than the rest of the moms here because with Baby #2, my water broke, but I didn't know it (thought I peed my pants), and I was in labor for about 12 hours, but didn't know it (my "Braxton Hicks" contractions were regular, frequent and painful, but I thought I was having gas pains :blushing:). It wasn't until my weekly checkup (the next morning) that I found out I was in labor because the doctor told me so. :lol: Oh, and quickly had me wheeled to L&D. It was very exciting!! :clap:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
BTW, I had BHs from about 6 months on, and I really couldn't tell the difference until about an hour before he was born. That's when they got REALLY painful.