Breezeline

SamSpade

They don't really rip up the property, there is conduit along the major roads and even when they have to put in the conduit it's like a four square foot area every 30-50 yards (super rough estimate) they dig and then fill back in. Even in densely populated neighborhoods it's not particularly invasive/difficult. And Verizon's contractors are not working county contracts, they need to get stuff done in a timely fashion.
Well they DID tear up my front yard a bit. They put the divots back of course. Did the same to a couple of my neighbors. It's not like they had a back hoe and dug trenches - mostly they used spades and honestly I don't know what they were doing. I guess a mix of both. They didn't destroy my yard like the well people did, years back.

Yeah, I did see a lot of what you're saying - driving the cables into the ground. They did that in places too, and they replaced all of the boxes up and down the road. Along Mervelll Dean, Rte 235 and Airport View Road - lots of spots where they were digging up a lot as well.

But what I HAVE NOTICED is - nothing lately. Like, at least a month, maybe longer. So when do they - flip the swtich?

somdwatch

According to a verizon surveyor I ran into on Villa Rd. Fiber should be active in south county by the end of this year.

My son, lives in Hollywood and comcast added their connection box at the end of the driveway.

Makes me wonder if they're splitting the ISP's based on location as I'm on breezeline. Verizon did our initial broadband install back in 2002 or so.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Internet service is down in the Sandgate area.

Thank God for the hotspot mode on my phone.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
According to a verizon surveyor I ran into on Villa Rd. Fiber should be active in south county by the end of this year.

My son, lives in Hollywood and comcast added their connection box at the end of the driveway.

Makes me wonder if they're splitting the ISP's based on location as I'm on breezeline. Verizon did our initial broadband install back in 2002 or so.
They just put a F/O pedestal in my yard in California today.

hobbz

It's not "splitting," it's increasing competition. Verizon won a grant from the state (federal American Rescue Plan funds) to expand rural broadband and they're bringing it to everywhere south of Wildewood. Comcast has a lot of areas under construction, too. See link below for a map of where each provider is expanding.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
It's not "splitting," it's increasing competition. Verizon won a grant from the state (federal American Rescue Plan funds) to expand rural broadband and they're bringing it to everywhere south of Wildewood. Comcast has a lot of areas under construction, too. See link below for a map of where each provider is expanding.

That map is depressing for those of us in the Callaway area. It looks as though the Breezeline stranglehold will never be broken.

hobbz

That map is depressing for those of us in the Callaway area. It looks as though the Breezeline stranglehold will never be broken.
The two bottom Comcast polygons just north of MD-5 didn't exist until just recently. I wouldn't be surprised if both Verizon and Comcast continue building out past what's currently shown.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
I have relatives in Valley Lee that have had Verizon DSL for years now. It seems to be a more dependable service than what Breezeline is providing. If you're not on the main drag of route 249 there's no chance of getting hooked up to that though.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have relatives in Valley Lee that have had Verizon DSL for years now. It seems to be a more dependable service than what Breezeline is providing. If you're not on the main drag of route 249 there's no chance of getting hooked up to that though.
We (my business on St. George's Island) were quoted $54,000 by Verizon to extend the fiber service from Piney Point proper (Harry Lundebeg School with Homeland Security tenant) 3 miles farther south to our facilities. We laughed and laughed...still stuck with Breezeliars.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I had DSL for years. It was very reliable, but absolutely sucked for speed. Downloads and surfing were painful. 1Mb/s was all I got at it's best, more often 750Kb/s.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I had DSL for years. It was very reliable, but absolutely sucked for speed. Downloads and surfing were painful. 1Mb/s was all I got at it's best, more often 750Kb/s.
That's about the same as the T1 Verizon provided us back in the day. They could not provide anything better. They still cannot.

hobbz

If you're that remote, Starlink is always an option. I used it at a friend's in the sticks outside of Powhatan and it was pretty good!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
If you're that remote, Starlink is always an option. I used it at a friend's in the sticks outside of Powhatan and it was pretty good!
I have Starlink. It's pretty stable, expensive, but nowhere near the advertised data rates. When I first got it, I had download rates near 300Mb/s. Today it's just under 50. For those speeds, I can pay a whole lot less with a cellular 5g system and get more than adequate data rates.