Bring on the speed cams!!!!

tblwdc

Personally I believe more accidents are caused by illegal turns, not looking before entering the highway,and ramming people in the back because somebody didn't pay attention than from speeding. I see very few accident where speed is really a factor and then it is a really exceptional high sped and an idiot or drunk at the wheel.

Okay.

glhs837

Power with Control
Cliff notes.

1. Study was flawed. Results were actually such that there is no definable benefit.

2. Speed cams only work if you have a lot of crashes cuased by speeding. MD law only allows them in school zones, not a place where you usually have accidents or injuries caused by speeding.

3. No officer gives tickets for profit. Enforcing for profit is a bad idea.

I'll be glad to debate this all daya long :)

stgislander

PREMO Member
Cliff notes.

1. Study was flawed. Results were actually such that there is no definable benefit.

2. Speed cams only work if you have a lot of crashes cuased by speeding. MD law only allows them in school zones, not a place where you usually have accidents or injuries caused by speeding.

3. No officer gives tickets for profit. Enforcing for profit is a bad idea.

I'll be glad to debate this all daya long :)

'Bout time you showed up. :buddies:

glhs837

Power with Control
What do speed cameras have to do with insurance companies?

You're right, I should have phrased my question better. What do speed cameras have to do with insurance companies profits if they are not about safety?

I clarified my thought in another post. You said they don't care about lives, but profits. Other than less accidents occurring, which of course saves lives, how do speed cameras effect their profits?

So, in a few places, places the insurance companies would like expand out of, the law allows points to be assessed and insurance company notofication to happen. So, in those places, the interest is that more automated enforcement citations means higher rates they can charge, which means more profits. Now, the private companies that provide the systems, most commonly under whats called a bounty system, they of course have a very vested interest. Imagine, if you would, if officers were given a 30% cut of every citation they issued.... pretty scary, eh?

puggymom

"At least once a week I have to yank my kids to the side of the road because someone has to drive twenty miles per hour or more above the speed limit. "

If you and your kids stayed out of the road you would not have to yank them to the side of the road.

I live in a small 25 mph TWO street cul-de-sac neighborhood. There is no reason why my kids can't safely ride their bikes on the street with fear of some jack** trying to do 40-50mph down the road.

Hijinx

I live in a small 25 mph TWO street cul-de-sac neighborhood. There is no reason why my kids can't safely ride their bikes on the street with fear of some jack** trying to do 40-50mph down the road.

Cul de sac's are not through roads, they have dead ends, and mostly they are only traveled by people who live in the cul de sac or their visitors.
If you have someone driving 40 in there you should know who it is and get in touch with them and advise them to slow down.

glhs837

Power with Control
What do speed cameras have to do with insurance companies?

You're right, I should have phrased my question better. What do speed cameras have to do with insurance companies profits if they are not about safety?

I clarified my thought in another post. You said they don't care about lives, but profits. Other than less accidents occurring, which of course saves lives, how do speed cameras effect their profits?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/iihs-study-finds-speed-traps-could-save-thousands-lives-nationwide/

Can't wait till we get them in the other two Southern Maryland Counties.

Still can't wait?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
There's a stretch of road on Adelphi Road near the U of M where it's *25* mph - on a four lane divided road. No reason. I still don't get the slow area in Mechanicsville and only on southbound 235.

if I had to guess, because thats the way it has always been [and it makes for a nice ticket zone]

My thought about cameras is that, I wish I had a nickel for every time I've seen some daredevil schmuck zoom down the road and not get caught.

yeah the police are out because of complaints about the guys zipping along at 70-80 mph going south from Waldorf [or points further north] everyday
.... but the people that routinly get caught are the ones cruising at 65

glhs837

Power with Control
Well there are many documented cases here in Mdof municipalities dropping speed limits either right before or right after implementing speed cameras.

stgislander

PREMO Member
It's funny that on the past couple Sunday mornings, a Trooper has been sitting on a northbound stretch of 249 between Valley Lee and Tall Timbers. If he really wants to write some tickets, he should be on the southbound side between 7:30 & 8:00am Monday through Friday.

glhs837

Power with Control
It's funny that on the past couple Sunday mornings, a Trooper has been sitting on a northbound stretch of 249 between Valley Lee and Tall Timbers. If he really wants to write some tickets, he should be on the southbound side between 7:30 & 8:00am Monday through Friday.

Well, Sunday mornings are nice because it's an otherwise quiet time, good time to catch up on stuff that gets lost in the shuffle of real police work, like "showing the flag" on an issue that's not huge, but still a thing citizens want to see, traffic enforcement. Not a lot else going on, people can actually see that the Sheriff is out there enforcing the traffic laws. Doing this stuff during rush hour, that generates complaints, not kudos. And who wants that, really?

Have you been experiencing accidents on the stretch due to speeding? Have there been complaints about this to the Sheriff? Those are the things that might trigger enforcement actions. Otherwise, it's a thing that gets done when there is free time, like Sunday morning when the bad guys are sleeping it off.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Well, Sunday mornings are nice because it's an otherwise quiet time, good time to catch up on stuff that gets lost in the shuffle of real police work, like "showing the flag" on an issue that's not huge, but still a thing citizens want to see, traffic enforcement. Not a lot else going on, people can actually see that the Sheriff is out there enforcing the traffic laws. Doing this stuff during rush hour, that generates complaints, not kudos. And who wants that, really?

Have you been experiencing accidents on the stretch due to speeding? Have there been complaints about this to the Sheriff? Those are the things that might trigger enforcement actions. Otherwise, it's a thing that gets done when there is free time, like Sunday morning when the bad guys are sleeping it off.

No accidents in that stretch in a long time that I'm aware of. As for complaints of speeders, there aren't any houses in that particular stretch where he was parked. (Btw - It was a State Trooper and not a Deputy if that factors into the equation.) I believe your first explanation is probably the most likely.