Bristol's Body, Sarah's Choice

wsmiles

parental consent

As parents we are supposed to help our children grow to become adults when we help them through small and large life challenges.

I had a friend in high school who, by the time she was 17 had at least 4 abortions that I knew of.

I was a young girl, who only knew how to support a friend, I was unable to give her the comfort and real help she needed as a 16 year old. He parents did not consent to any of her abortions - in MD it is not required by law- at least it wasn't in 1996.

Looking back, I know she needed help, the kind only her parents could give because she was emotionally a wreck and on a rollercoaster ride with her emotions, going through boys and men alike to find her value in life.

She needed her parents guidance and love, instead she was sent into a room for procedures she really knew nothing about, and hopefully when she finds out later in life about them, she won't be traumatized by the realization of what she's done.

My friend hopefully is the exception, not the norm, but as far as parental consent laws, she is a true example of how a parent's role should not be bypassed.

W

Wenchy

As parents we are supposed to help our children grow to become adults when we help them through small and large life challenges.

I had a friend in high school who, by the time she was 17 had at least 4 abortions that I knew of.

I was a young girl, who only knew how to support a friend, I was unable to give her the comfort and real help she needed as a 16 year old. He parents did not consent to any of her abortions - in MD it is not required by law- at least it wasn't in 1996.

Looking back, I know she needed help, the kind only her parents could give because she was emotionally a wreck and on a rollercoaster ride with her emotions, going through boys and men alike to find her value in life.

She needed her parents guidance and love, instead she was sent into a room for procedures she really knew nothing about, and hopefully when she finds out later in life about them, she won't be traumatized by the realization of what she's done.

My friend hopefully is the exception, not the norm, but as far as parental consent laws, she is a true example of how a parent's role should not be bypassed.

Her parents were never a help, otherwise she would have gone to them. Perhaps a wake up call for uninvolved parents.

My daughter came to me.

wsmiles

Her parents were never a help, because she never told them. SHe was a model student, musician, and never gave any sign of trouble.

How could they have known to help when they weren't allowed a chance?

Xaquin44

this is all deepy interesting .... the world is chocked full of 'supposed to'. Most never come about.

Fact of the mater is that your 'friend' didn't want kids for whatever reason and was within her rights.

Her parents were never a help, because she never told them. SHe was a model student, musician, and never gave any sign of trouble.

How could they have known to help when they weren't allowed a chance?
Her issues were much bigger than you present... there were obvious issues with her relationship with her parents and her home life if she was impregnated no less than 4 times by the age of 17, chose abortion as her birth control method and had zero self-worth spreading her legs for every Tom, Dick and Harry that came along. I think your story is BS.

wsmiles

I wish it was a bs story, but it's not. I went to HS is PG county and graduated with my friend in the late 90's.

Maybe she had other issues with her parents that I was naive to at 16, sure. The fact is that her parents were never notified about her abortions.

tommyjones

I wish it was a bs story, but it's not. I went to HS is PG county and graduated with my friend in the late 90's.

Maybe she had other issues with her parents that I was naive to at 16, sure. The fact is that her parents were never notified about her abortions.

well duh

Xaquin44

She got what? Help?

How is getting abortions help for her mental state of using sex and aborting babies help for herself?

She'd still be the same person only with children .... you seem to be frowning on her lifestyle, so why would you want four unwanted kids exposed to it?

wsmiles

She'd still be the same person only with children .... you seem to be frowning on her lifestyle, so why would you want four unwanted kids exposed to it?

Frowning on her lifestyle? I am upset that she didn't get help for her mental state. Even today, being pro-life, I am concerned for the girl at 16/17 who needs help and doesn't get it.

If a child has that many issues with their self worth, we should help them learn to cope with their insecurities why they chose to sleep around and have abortions as birth control. I don't think that "lifestyle" benefits anyone, including my friend.

I am sad that her mental health and well being was not put above simply letting her have abortions without any mental health help when she was a minor.

This_person

your personal experiences and bitterness explain alot about your position.
To you, maybe, but not to me. I don't find myself bitter at all.
my point is that you are saying that women should be prepared to have a baby because they made the decision to have sex. But you had unprotected sex with a woman you admitedly didn't really know, and want to blame an abortion on her because she didn't ask your permission. Maybe you should have been more careful, you know, like you want all the women to be.
Well, it's not just women that I want to hold accountable for their actions. And, I'm not suggesting that they change how careful they are, just that they don't kill people because they don't want to live with the consequences of their actions.

So, other than everything, you got what I was saying right!

This_person

12 weeks is the end of the 1st trimester.
OKay, but there's always a possible variation to that.

So, would 11 weeks be right?

Also, why is the first trimester different regarding whether it's a life on its own than the second trimester?

I am sad that her mental health and well being was not put above simply letting her have abortions without any mental health help when she was a minor.

Oh stop... you said, "SHe was a model student, musician, and never gave any sign of trouble."

Make your mind up as to how your story goes. You can't have it both ways.

puggymom

Ok now that I have a second to get my thoughts out pretty much this is how I feel about fetal rights.
Two people cannot have equal legal rights over the same body.

In doing such you are allowing the government to control pregnant woman from conception to the birth. If anything happens in between be it miscarriage or still birth...well now you have a potential murder investigation on your hands? Could you ever imagine having a miscarriage then being subjugated to a criminal investigation?

You may say highly unlikely but why give a fetus the same legal rights if they are not entitled to the same rights as a born person?

Further more comes all the new rules and regulations that pregnant woman are expected to follow now add the fear of being charged with child abuse for drinking caffeine, eating sushi, any of the current no-nos of the week. Next it will be forced c-sections. Currently childbirth is not treated as a natural event. You need a doctor or you could hurt your baby. Women are trained to fear the natural even of having a baby. If a fetus has full rights and a doctor wants you to have a c-section well guess what? S/he could get a court injunction forcing this decision on you!!!

Giving a z/e/f legal rights will do nothing more than allow women to be further policed and have no control over their medical decisions.

puggymom

So this is the type of person we should force to be a parent?? Wow way to screw a kid up.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
Wasn't there a case in Ireland where a young teenaged girl (I want to say 13 but I'm not sure if that's correct) was raped and impregnated by her father's friend and they wouldn't let her across the border for an abortion?