Bristol's Body, Sarah's Choice

This_person

Ok now that I have a second to get my thoughts out pretty much this is how I feel about fetal rights.
Two people cannot have equal legal rights over the same body.

In doing such you are allowing the government to control pregnant woman from conception to the birth. If anything happens in between be it miscarriage or still birth...well now you have a potential murder investigation on your hands? Could you ever imagine having a miscarriage then being subjugated to a criminal investigation?

You may say highly unlikely but why give a fetus the same legal rights if they are not entitled to the same rights as a born person?

Further more comes all the new rules and regulations that pregnant woman are expected to follow now add the fear of being charged with child abuse for drinking caffeine, eating sushi, any of the current no-nos of the week. Next it will be forced c-sections. Currently childbirth is not treated as a natural event. You need a doctor or you could hurt your baby. Women are trained to fear the natural even of having a baby. If a fetus has full rights and a doctor wants you to have a c-section well guess what? S/he could get a court injunction forcing this decision on you!!!

Giving a z/e/f legal rights will do nothing more than allow women to be further policed and have no control over their medical decisions.
Puggy, that's quite a "slippery slope" argument - if abortions are allowed c-sections could be ordered by doctors working on behalf of fetuses? :rolleyes: Come on......

The argument is whether it's okay for a woman (or, as the thread started, a child) to decide if they can kill someone out of convinience, not whether or not the mom would be forced to forego her medical rights.

However, if any unborn is the same, than 8 months 29 days 23.5 hours of gestation would, legally, be the same as 24 hours gestation. So, induce labor, and suck the brains out while still in the birthing canal would be exactly the same as suction in the first trimester. By the argument of "my body, my choice", there should be no reasonable difference, right?

ylexot

Super Genius
why give a fetus the same legal rights if they are not entitled to the same rights as a born person?

Ummm...you give them rights because they don't have them :confused:

That's like asking, why give gays the same legal rights to marry if they are not entitled to the same rights as a straight couple? Or in general, why change the law to say Y when the law says X? And the simple answer is because we think the law should say Y and X is wrong.

wsmiles

Oh stop... you said, "SHe was a model student, musician, and never gave any sign of trouble."

To her parents, that is how she portrayed herself, but they didn;t know about her abortions because by law, they didn;t have to be notified.

Make your mind up as to how your story goes. You can't have it both ways.

wsmiles

Words, so simple to screw up.

She was all of those things, but only those positive things to her parents. She never showed her parents any side of any sort of self-esteem issue and I am not sure she ever did since her parents were never notified of her abortions.

Have a great evening.

Cowgirl

Words, so simple to screw up.

She was all of those things, but only those positive things to her parents. She never showed her parents any side of any sort of self-esteem issue and I am not sure she ever did since her parents were never notified of her abortions.

Have a great evening.

Unless you are one of the parents, you really don't know, do you?

puggymom

Puggy, that's quite a "slippery slope" argument - if abortions are allowed c-sections could be ordered by doctors working on behalf of fetuses? :rolleyes: Come on......

The argument is whether it's okay for a woman (or, as the thread started, a child) to decide if they can kill someone out of convinience, not whether or not the mom would be forced to forego her medical rights.

However, if any unborn is the same, than 8 months 29 days 23.5 hours of gestation would, legally, be the same as 24 hours gestation. So, induce labor, and suck the brains out while still in the birthing canal would be exactly the same as suction in the first trimester. By the argument of "my body, my choice", there should be no reasonable difference, right?

Not really from the way I see it. The only real way to make abortion illegal is to give a fetus legal rights. Once a fetus is given the same legal rights as every other born citizen shouldn't they be actually due those rights no matter what?

puggymom

Forgot to ask...what medical decisions can't be made?

A decision as to whether to continue a pregnancy or abort. Yes it is an emotion FILLED medical decision and I am not trying to downplay it at all but it is just that.
I do not think politicans should be involved in medical decisons.