Build your own Truck

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Looking at buying a New Truck (Chevy) for a retirement present.
Looking at the 1500 Trail Boss (20" rims).
2500 High Country would be nice, but now that gets up to the $80K.

What are good add on options?

glhs837

Power with Control
Retirement? Heated seats for one. Use them year round for making a sore olf back feel better.

Where the real problem comes is the friken packages and interlocked options. Sometimes you cant get those heated seats unless you also get the "Microclimate package" with a heated wheel and cooled seats. Or maybe you need leather, or whatever. Sometimes they don't even make sense. "Choosing the heated seat option deletes the 20 inch wheel option"

TPD

the poor dad
Trailer brake control, spray-in bed liner, running boards, & remote start if you don't have a heated garage.

Funny you say this now - daughter is looking, but at Ram 1500. We were out on Friday test driving...

glhs837

Power with Control
Trailer brake control, spray-in bed liner, running boards, & remote start if you don't have a heated garage.

Funny you say this now - daughter is looking, but at Ram 1500. We were out on Friday test driving...

I mean I get buying trailer brake control from the maker but spraying bed liner and running boards. Aren't you much better off getting those done? Aftermarket

TPD

the poor dad
I mean I get buying trailer brake control from the maker but spraying bed liner and running boards. Aren't you much better off getting those done? Aftermarket
No not at my age. Drop truck off in PF - 50min drive each way - for Linex and pick up at end of day, find someone to pick me up. Crawl under truck drilling holes crap dropping in my eyes for running board install. Let me pay $1000 in the option and I’m much happier. Yeah in my younger days I do it myself.

stgislander

PREMO Member
No not at my age. Drop truck off in PF - 50min drive each way - for Linex and pick up at end of day, find someone to pick me up. Crawl under truck drilling holes crap dropping in my eyes for running board install. Let me pay $1000 in the option and I’m much happier. Yeah in my younger days I do it myself.
My buddy Carl at Trick Trucks will install all of that.

stgislander

PREMO Member

Just have your daughter stay away from the Ford F-150 Black Widows. Gilligan's SO has one with a lemon tranny.

Reactions: TPD

glhs837

Power with Control

Note I said "maker". I'm fine with paying somebody else to work. But no way would I get spray in bedliner done by the dealer, same for running boards. Now, were they factory options, thats different. But asa dealer installed options, even if they hire that work out to Trick TRucks, they are a middleman you don't need, IMO. When the wife was looking at Mavericks, took me about an hour to find the maker of virtually every accessories they made and see it was less expensive.

Had the local Jeep place diagnose a clunk that only happened over bumps and starting and stopping as rod knock. Needed a new engine they said. Screw that.

I was under the impression that DW was asking how to fill out the order form for a new truck. Tow package, thats one to order. Usually comes with stuff you cant get later or cost more to add than the factory package.

TPD

the poor dad
My buddy Carl at Trick Trucks will install all of that.
Again a 35 minute drive to Leonardtown to drop truck off for the day, finding a ride. I’ve used trick trucks in the past but the older I get, I realize my time is better spent sitting on my ass, as I’ve been accused of…

stgislander

PREMO Member
Again a 35 minute drive to Leonardtown to drop truck off for the day, finding a ride. I’ve used trick trucks in the past but the older I get, I realize my time is better spent sitting on my ass, as I’ve been accused of…
Your tractor interior does look pretty comfy. You have AC and a refrigerator in there right?

stgislander

PREMO Member
GMR in LP City, but whats a few extra miles.

TPD

the poor dad
Note I said "maker". I'm fine with paying somebody else to work. But no way would I get spray in bedliner done by the dealer, same for running boards. Now, were they factory options, thats different. Because even if they hire that work out to Trick TRucks, they are a middleman you don't need, IMO.

Had the local Jeep place diagnose a clunk that only happened over bumps and starting and stopping as rod knock. Needed a new engine they said. Screw that.

I was under the impression that DW was asking how to fill out the order form for a new truck. Tow package, thats one to order. Usually comes with stuff you cant get later or cost more to add than the factory package.
Ram has a truck bed option that includes bedliner, lights, and tie down system for about $900 - factory option. The last Linex we had done 4 years ago was $600 plus time and gas for drop off. So for $300 more I get lights and upgraded tie-down system - well worth it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Ram has a truck bed option that includes bedliner, lights, and tie down system for about $900 - factory option. The last Linex we had done 4 years ago was $600 plus time and gas for drop off. So for $300 more I get lights and upgraded tie-down system - well worth it.

Agree, as a factory option that's the way to go. I just don't want dealership techs drilling holes into stuff.

Reactions: TPD