Bullying...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you were in the Safeway and I walked over and slapped you, would you call the store manager?

Actually, I'd beat the chit out of you. I was always the littlest kid in my class, so I learned how to take care of myself.

If it's verbal, teach em to toughen up, it's a cruel world out there and lil Johnny has to learn how to deal with it....
And that goes for the physical as well, because there won't always be a cop around - or Mommy and Dad.

vince77

Actually, I'd beat the chit out of you.

And that goes for the physical as well, because there won't always be a cop around - or Mommy and Dad.

:killingme

beats having the store manager suspend us both from the store...:nono:

this generation is raising a bunch of pansies in many cases, but if you swung at everyone who acted like an a$$hole, you'd be too tired to have any fun....

ladyhawk

What's wrong with some of you people? If your kid is getting hit at school, it's an assault, that's a police matter, not a school matter. Don't ask the school to intervene, they'll cover it up. Crime's are handled by the police, not the VP at your school.

If you were in the Safeway and I walked over and slapped you, would you call the store manager? Hell no! You'd call/go to the police station, give a statement, provide names etc......why won't you afford your children the same protection?

If it's verbal, teach em to toughen up, it's a cruel world out there and lil Johnny has to learn how to deal with it....

Sorry, I have to disagree with this being a police matter when it is happening in our schools! The Police have enough to do then babysit a bunch of kids that the school is suppose to be responsible for. As it is, the schools had decided at one point that the bus stops are not their responsiblity either... Don't know if this has changed but I know for a fact this was the case about five years ago. So how much more will the schools continue to wipe their hands of being responsible for our children...?

IMO~
If they continue to wipe their hands of responsibility we may as well get rid of the eduction system, reduce taxes that pay for public education and then mom or dad would be able to stay home for homeschooling or at the very least pay someone that could come to the home to educate their children... At least then, the kids would be safe!

I believe if a kid feels the need to "dish it out" they better be prepared to "take it", regardless of race or sex! Thats part a of dealing with it!

It has never been fair to punish both parties for the acts of one... The courts don't punish the victims of a crime so how can schools justify the punishment of both both parties expecially when one is clearly responsible?

June

royhobie

hobieflyer
This has got to stop.....I do not know if it is true or a rumor about the child from PHS,but it is happening everyday and now has hit our hometown.
When is enough enough?? I have been to the school a couple times because of bullying and felt it was taken very mildly...After awhile I noticed my daughter just stopped telling me things because nothing helped. I have tried to tell her she is better then the ones that choose this type of behavior,but one thing forsure she doesn't have very much of me in her because......Well I'll just leave it at that!

What school are you saying is not responsive? Does the school have a School Resource Officer? Have you documented each incident? It is a good idea to document what type of response you have from school authorities. I won't get in to why right now. If the school is not responsive, call the school board. If the Board is not responsive, call your Sheriff's Office. All local Sheriff's Offices are now aware of the significance of bullying in schools. If necessary, the police can investigate with, or without the school's permission. If that doesn't work, call our local Senator, Roy Dyson. He sits on the Education Committee for the State. I guarantee you that will have results.

vince77

This generation is raising a bunch of pansies? Yet you want every assault matter in schools to have the police involved? Who is the pansy? Sounds like you are...

you're kid must be taking a regular beating?....stupidity is in the genes...:howdy:

the kid doesn't call the cops, you would, if you saw physical evidence of assault

Last edited:

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
who cares if your kid gets suspended for fighting back against a bully. If a bully knows somone will fight back they will pick another target. Being suspended for a week is not goign to ruin a kids academic career.

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
...we all agree that bullying is a problem. with more staff in the schools, there can be more action taken by the schools to end this type of behavior...

More staff in schools to actually DEAL with the bullying.....ha!

More staff just means more government funding to provide salaries for more staff to hand out more slaps on the wrist - if they bother to do that at all. Again, the law isn't on their side, anyway.

---
Yeah, right.... schools need more funding and staff to REALLY deal with bullying....:sarcasm:

yankee44

Sorry, I have to disagree with this being a police matter when it is happening in our schools! The Police have enough to do then babysit a bunch of kids that the school is suppose to be responsible for.

This is where the wole world is f-ed up now. You and only You
are responsible for your kids.

Serenity40

I say defend yourself and handle the consequeces. I was followed around the hallways and taunted by a group of girls because I had big boobs. Not my doing I would have loved to be as flat as the other girls. I was called all sorts of nasty names but when I was shoved a switch flipped and I whooped the snot out of one of them. This was 1983 and that whole group is supposedly old classmate buddies on Facebook. I was paddled by our school principal too. He said not for fighting but for not stopping when he asked me to. once I got going all of the name calling and pushing and shoving came to a boil and I didn't want to stop. No one ever bothered me again after that.

ladyhawk

There's another problem...
What happened to them being responsible for their own behavior...

Never once did I say parents weren't responsible for their children..
School responsibilty is when our kids are at school, or on school property doing something they shouldn't be, the school should be intervening and calling parents before it gets out of control as it so often does...
They have failed often...

Being responsible for my kids...
My son kept coming home with bruises all over his body. I had no idea until we were horsing around one day and I pulled his shirt off of him. When I saw all the bruises I asked what was going on... Upon further questioning, not only was the teacher aware but so was the principle, everyone thought it was one of those girl likes boy playful games.....

I asked why he didn't defend himself. "Boys aren't allowed to hit girls". Well we had that rule at home too, I changed it only because the school would not get involved. I was then accused of raising a "wife beater" at which point I threw the principle out of my house.

We went to lunch every day he was suspended and I was told by some of the others that the girl and my son were "an item" at school for a while. Although the two of them kept insisting they were just friends.....

June

PS... For you moms with boys who never take their shirts off in front of you. This could be one of the reasons why..... I believe my son was more embarassed because he was being "beaten up" by a girl which is how it stayed hidden for so long...

royhobie

hobieflyer

Under Maryland law, it is a police matter if an assault or assault and battery, or other illegal activity occured. I expect "bullying" itself will become a criminal offense within the next 3 to 5 years. This is in part why schools have to fill out bullying incident reports. These reports are crap. They are crap because more than half of bullying incidents go unreported.

tom88

Under Maryland law, it is a police matter if an assault or assault and battery, or other illegal activity occured. I expect "bullying" itself will become a criminal offense within the next 3 to 5 years. This is in part why schools have to fill out bullying incident reports. These reports are crap. They are crap because more than half of bullying incidents go unreported.

Could you explain how exactly you think bullying could be construed or annotated into law? In absence of another crime, to be bullied a person would have to perceive that another person has power over them. How exactly would this be proven since it depends on the perception of another person? If I call you names, that is a form of bullying. Do I not have a first amendment right to call you names?

Norwiegen researcher Dan Olweus defines bullying as when a person is exposed, repeatedly and over time, to negative actions on the part of one or more other persons." He defines negative action as "when a person intentionally inflicts injury or discomfort upon another person, through physical contact, through words or in other ways.

Now, if a person physically assaults you a crime has already been committed. If a person hurts your feelings, then so be it. Everytime you open your trap you seem to stick your foot in it.

Happylife

I myself am quite sure as well that this will become a criminal offense here shortly. As kids get older - they are more aware of some of the resources that are available to them, however some will never use them out of a fear of showing weakness.

In Elementary schools, children are not aware of what guidance counselors are for. I am employed by a public school system, and I can tell you for a fact most elementary school age children between Pre-K and 3 have no idea what a guidance counselor is at their school for. The older ones who are aware have made comments about how no one is ever available when they need to talk.

I have also heard from many school counselors that they are never even made aware or bullying incidents when they are reported to Principals. I myself was outraged when I learned this. I believe the Counselor should be one of the most important people involving such a situation. After all isn't this one of the things they were taught how to handle. I was also informed to not waste my time speaking to principals because as someone stated earlier - most of the times these incidents are not handled correctly, are made light of, or are not taken seriously. I was told to fill out a Bullying form and send it directly to the BOE because by law every Bully form received must be looked into with great attention. These forms are also always kept on file, and patterns are then recognized more quickly allowing for a firmer punishment.

The sad fact is most children DO try and ask for help while they are at school. The majority of children always ask to speak to the Principal because in their young minds that is the most powerful person to deal with the situation. Sadly most principals are very busy with so many different tasks that some issues get pushed to the side or they are handled too quickly without much effort and the children leave feeling helpless.

If children are learning in Elementary Schools that they can't depend on school personnel when they need it they will eventually stop trying. Schools know which children are more likely to cause problems, and sadly the children causing the problems are eventually looked upon as an exception to the general discipline rules, and are given more chances than a non-trouble making child. Every referral a child receives is passed from grade to grade until they graduate so believe me ...... schools know which children are the more aggresive and they should be keeping a closer eye on them as far as complaints go.

xobxdoc

I myself am quite sure as well that this will become a criminal offense here shortly. As kids get older - they are more aware of some of the resources that are available to them, however some will never use them out of a fear of showing weakness.

In Elementary schools, children are not aware of what guidance counselors are for. I am employed by a public school system, and I can tell you for a fact most elementary school age children between Pre-K and 3 have no idea what a guidance counselor is at their school for. The older ones who are aware have made comments about how no one is ever available when they need to talk.

I have also heard from many school counselors that they are never even made aware or bullying incidents when they are reported to Principals. I myself was outraged when I learned this. I believe the Counselor should be one of the most important people involving such a situation. After all isn't this one of the things they were taught how to handle. I was also informed to not waste my time speaking to principals because as someone stated earlier - most of the times these incidents are not handled correctly, are made light of, or are not taken seriously. I was told to fill out a Bullying form and send it directly to the BOE because by law every Bully form received must be looked into with great attention. These forms are also always kept on file, and patterns are then recognized more quickly allowing for a firmer punishment.

The sad fact is most children DO try and ask for help while they are at school. The majority of children always ask to speak to the Principal because in their young minds that is the most powerful person to deal with the situation. Sadly most principals are very busy with so many different tasks that some issues get pushed to the side or they are handled too quickly without much effort and the children leave feeling helpless.

If children are learning in Elementary Schools that they can't depend on school personnel when they need it they will eventually stop trying. Schools know which children are more likely to cause problems, and sadly the children causing the problems are eventually looked upon as an exception to the general discipline rules, and are given more chances than a non-trouble making child. Every referral a child receives is passed from grade to grade until they graduate so believe me ...... schools know which children are the more aggresive and they should be keeping a closer eye on them as far as complaints go.

Royhobie has a follower. One more and he'll have a cult.

tom88

Could you explain exactly what bullying is, and how it would be defiened as a crime? In order to have a crime, there has to be a definative purpose which someone has done or neglected to do (elements) that are defined. I'm just curous how the legislature would define what you believe to be bullying?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
My understanding is that students on suspension recieve zeros for all classes during the suspension. Also, if the kid on suspension does any after school activities (sports, band, etc) those are a no go as well.

Kids have the opportunity to make up missed work if they are suspended. They may get an unexcused absence from school though, can't remember.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Could you explain exactly what bullying is, and how it would be defiened as a crime? In order to have a crime, there has to be a definative purpose which someone has done or neglected to do (elements) that are defined. I'm just curous how the legislature would define what you believe to be bullying?

Here's how the SMCPS defines it....

Bullying, harassment, or intimidation means intentional conduct, including verbal, physical, or written conduct, or an intentional electronic communication, that: (I) creates a hostile educational environment by substantially interfering with a student’s educational benefits, opportunities, or performance, or with a student’s physical or psychological well-being and is: 1. motivated by an actual or a perceived personal characteristic including race, national origin, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ancestry, physical attribute, socioeconomic status, familial status, or physical or mental ability or disability; or 2. threatening or seriously intimidating; and (II) 1. occurs on school property, at a school activity or event, or on a school bus; or 2. substantially disrupts the orderly operation of a school. Electronic communication means a communication transmitted by means of an electronic device, including a telephone, cellular phone, computer, or pager.

cdsulhoff

Point blank, bullying needs to stop. Kids are going to tease that is nature and we have dealt with that thru the beginning of time! But Bullying is becoming out of hand! Being a bully is like being a terrorist! IMO! you are terrorizing someone day in and day out of that person live to a point it effect the way they live and think! IT NEEDS TO BE STOP!!
When we were younger we didn't have cell phones, we didn't have computers, We got bullied at school or on the playground and went home where our home was our safe haven! Your tormentor could not effect you at home! these kids don't have that safe haven anymore! they are constantly connected to the world and the electronic world makes it easy for your tormentor to terrorize you even in your own home! this has got to stop! New laws need to go into effect! I tell you this its sad because a lot of time a bully is being bullied!