Burglar Alarm for the home

ginwoman

Does anybody have recommendations on home security systems and who I should contact for information and quote? Thank you. :howdy:

Old Timer

Does anybody have recommendations on home security systems and who I should contact for information and quote? Thank you. :howdy:

We have ADT. We haven't had any problems in the 12 or 13 years we've had them. Their monitoring rates haven't gone up much in that time either.

anniemay

I went with Vector Security. They were the best priced and they have the best ratio for customers versus call centers. From what I've heard is: ADT has a decent ratio, but Brinks has so many customers but not the support that Vector has. Not sure how accurate this is, since I got it from a former ADT worker who now works for Vector.

The current promotion is installation and 8 sensors and the unit was $69.95.

I'm happy with it so far!

CREResident

Big Dog, Gun, and ADT

Most police will say that a dog with a big bark is the best to deter people from coming in or to your house. Doesn't have to be a protective dog, just one that will bark with a deep sound (not your yip yapper). ADT has been GREAT! Get a gun and learn how to use it. If you're not familiar with guns, consider a revolver instead of or in addition to a semi-automatic, shotguns work well too. Be careful with bullets that are likely to go through walls and possibly hurt someone else. I think hollow points work well......

With ADT, consider using multiple types (contacts, motion detector, glass breaks). And conceal your phone wires (run them underground into your house) so they can't be easiliy located and cut. Also, get wireless backup.

Not that I ever needed a burglar alarm...... left my garage door open for a week and nothing was touched. But the ADT Fire Alarm, I think is worthwhile...... it only takes a short time for your home to burn down to the ground.....

Last edited:

belvak

Happy Camper
We've got Brinks and no complaints! We also added the fire alarm coverage so that if we ever have a fire when we're gone, the kitties have a little bit better chance of being rescued before it's too late.

LateApex

I thought you had 3 alarm systems....:shrug:

I went with Gaurdian.

When I had my house built they came in and ran all the wires needed.

I have sensors on all windows and doors. If the contact is broken and the alarm is set on passive a chime will sound letting me know. If the alarm is set, the siren goes off.

I also have a motion sensor pointing towards the basement stairs entry and one set pointing at the stairs that lead up to the second floor.

All smoke/carbon sensors are tied in to the system and will immediately notify the authorities if set off.

If that doesn't work my dogs will eat you as I'm drawing a bead on your forehead.

Geek

I went with Gaurdian.

When I had my house built they came in and ran all the wires needed.

I have sensors on all windows and doors. If the contact is broken and the alarm is set on passive a chime will sound letting me know. If the alarm is set, the siren goes off.

I also have a motion sensor pointing towards the basement stairs entry and one set pointing at the stairs that lead up to the second floor.

All smoke/carbon sensors are tied in to the system and will immediately notify the authorities if set off.

If that doesn't work my dogs will eat you as I'm drawing a bead on your forehead.

:CancelingSurpriseBirthdayParty:

LateApex

Home Security Store | Security Camera |Alarm | Wireless Security Systems

If you don't want to pay for a service to monitor it, this place has some cool stuff.

I've looked there before. Pretty cool stuff.

I messed around for a couple of weeks to see if I could intercept the signals that are generated in the control module. Ideally, I wanted to be able have my home comp capture those signals. This way I could whip up an app that would call me on my cellphone or work phone etc. if something is tripped.

What would really be neat is to install some cameras and send that data real time to my iphone so that I can see what's going on. Or, have it relayed over my computer.

Too much imagination. Not enough time.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I've looked there before. Pretty cool stuff.

I messed around for a couple of weeks to see if I could intercept the signals that are generated in the control module. Ideally, I wanted to be able have my home comp capture those signals. This way I could whip up an app that would call me on my cellphone or work phone etc. if something is tripped.

What would really be neat is to install some cameras and send that data real time to my iphone so that I can see what's going on. Or, have it relayed over my computer.

Too much imagination. Not enough time.

That would be cool and probably not that far from being an afordable reality.

mdgirlie

I have Monitronics. Monitronics » Security Systems for Home and Business $39 a month and I don't have it running through a hardline (telephone), which is better, because buglars could cut it. It, rather goes through my cellular as back-up. They give door, window, and motion sensors along with keypad and remote. The owner of our locality is awesome. PM me if you would like my contact.

Last edited:

RoadKill

The HomeSecurityStore dot com source has...

... stuff that will provide all of the remote monitoring features that you are looking for. However, that sort of functionality is quite expensive, and is not a trivial DIY installation (although the staff at the HSS is quite switched on and was patient). I love the landland and wireless notifications, and the SMS text messaging features, but it is waaaay overkill IMO. I justified the cost because it became a hobby for me and is definitely not needed for an average residential instalation. Totally cool though.

LateApex

I have Monitronics. Monitronics » Security Systems for Home and Business $39 a month and I don't have it running through a hardline (telephone), which is better, because buglars could cut it. It, rather goes through my cellular as back-up. They give door, window, and motion sensors along with keypad and remote. The owner of our locality is awesome. PM me if you would like my contact.

I forgot to mention that I have the cellular backup as well. It's over kill since my land line is buried and it comes in through the basement. I got it just in case the land line is down.

If I were you, I would actually get it through the land line as well.

What if the cell towers or service were down? You're in the same boat as the person who only has it through their land line.

LateApex

... stuff that will provide all of the remote monitoring features that you are looking for. However, that sort of functionality is quite expensive, and is not a trivial DIY installation (although the staff at the HSS is quite switched on and was patient). I love the landland and wireless notifications, and the SMS text messaging features, but it is waaaay overkill IMO. I justified the cost because it became a hobby for me and is definitely not needed for an average residential instalation. Totally cool though.

If I were to do the remote monitoring it would be all grassroots.

I have access to hardware that could be configured to do just about anything. The only difficult part would be intercepting/identifying the signals. Once I have that it would be simple to code an application that would interface with the hardware.

From there I could do pretty much anything I wanted to.