cable companies??

bilbur

ok, so I ended up going with Metrocast because there is a clause in the HOA here saying no satellite for tv... that being said, this is the crappiest cable I have EVER had in my life! Seems like they have a total monopoly and that isn't fair for the people of Leonardtown. Are there options that I am not aware of? I'm going to ask the HOA for permission because the back of our house is not visible to anybody; it backs into a steep hill. I'm being price gauged! And they don't even give you a box for the "extra rooms" unless you pay them some $20 extra per month rental fee... so we can't even get all the digital channels and there are no labels on the channels so you have no idea what you are watching!! SO ANNOYED!

I may be wrong but aren't you limited to where you can install a dish because it has to have an unobstructed view of a certain part of the sky? This might mean installing it in a place that is visible to the road or your neighbors.

I live in a condo under the rule of a very strict condo president. We can't have wreaths on our doors, Christmas decorations on our balconies, hardwood floors, satellite dish's, pets over 20lb's, etc.... Most of this stuff doesn't bother me because I don't want to do those things anyway but personally I don't care if my neighbors had these things. I will give the president credit though, he does keep the place looking nice for a 30 year old condo complex.

Bavarian

I think metrocast sucks.

A few years ago we were told by a few installers that we cannot have a dish because our tree line it too high or something crazy like that. We're not big fans of those either. Same goes for one of those HD antennas.

If it weren't for football, we wouldn't have any kind of cable. Even football is in jeopardy because half our games must be streamed via the internet anyways. We're keeping our fingers crossed that football channels get a modern upgrade soon so we can get rid metrocast tv.

We've had some very serious problems with the internet in the past but we haven't had any complaints for the past couple of years.

Lived in Chestnut Ridge, lots of trees. Started on roof of garage with the original 19"er, When DirecTV added local UHF, needed bigger dish, moved to roof above next higher roof. And dropped Metrocast. Then with HD needed 7 LNB and was put on roof and the installer found nice opening in trees over driveway,

Here in FL, dish on post next to house, one LNB all that is needed. Much easier installation, one feed, one LNB feeds all. Now get One Demand.
And we have worse HOA rules here. Had to get place weeded a couple of times before we moved. $500. Hope I can leave lights up until Baptism of Our Lord as Church says. (off track)

Bavarian

I founded it via a video magazine before I bough my first DirecTV dish, (only on), printed and made it known to HOA, they knew about already, this is an engineering/scientific area, and had a friend help me install the small 19" dish to get Sci-Fi channel.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
PARDON ME, price GOUGED (as in pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available). They do NOT give you ANYTHING free, silly man. We have "smart tv's" and this provides the same cable quality as a hotel room. There are no labels for the channels, no description of what is on. This service reminds me of what I had in 1990 or something. For the amount I am paying for cable, I should be able to at least know what CHANNEL I'm watching.:buttkick:

If you only have extended basic and not the digital package which gives you a box then all you can do is go to channel 97 and it will give you the program guide. I have also attached a link with the channel line up effective 1/1/14 for you to print out.

Unfortunately unless you have a digital package you will not have and info button to give you a description of the show or the ability too look at what is on at 11pm when it's only 6pm but you can always purchase a TV guide or get the one that comes out in the Friday Enterprise local newspaper. You may also be able to fiddle around on the website to see if it has that function.

Your TV Channel Lineup from MetroCast Digital Cable TV

I am interested in what you paid in California as well as to how many different companies you had to choose from for cable service? I pay around 160.00 per month and that includes the two little convertor boxes as well as two Digital VIP boxes, I also have HBO, my internet and phone included in this.

When I had Verizon for home phone & Internet I paid 120.00 per month for that bill and close to 70.00 to Metrocast. So in my case I am saving money from what I used to pay. Overall this area is way more expensive than people would think. Just wait until some of your other bills start rolling in electric, water and sewer, propane etc.

Anyway welcome to Maryland.

alicejohn

The HOA can have a say about where the dish or antenna can be placed. For example, if the reception is equally good from the front of the house (which can be seen from the road) and the back of the house (where the antenna can not be seen), the HOA can require you to put it on the back of the house as long as the cost is not prohibitive to put it on the back (prohibitive is subjective). You should request approval for where you want to put the antenna. Like everything else with a HOA, they can require you to move it if you don't have prior approval.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
The HOA can have a say about where the dish or antenna can be placed. For example, if the reception is equally good from the front of the house (which can be seen from the road) and the back of the house (where the antenna can not be seen), the HOA can require you to put it on the back of the house as long as the cost is not prohibitive to put it on the back (prohibitive is subjective). You should request approval for where you want to put the antenna. Like everything else with a HOA, they can require you to move it if you don't have prior approval.

Sorry, but "F" the HOA.

somdfunguy

not impressed
you both need to read and research before posting. i provided the link that has all the info earlier. there have been trials over this and the HOA always loses.

no they cant

I may be wrong but aren't you limited to where you can install a dish because it has to have an unobstructed view of a certain part of the sky? This might mean installing it in a place that is visible to the road or your neighbors.

I live in a condo under the rule of a very strict condo president. We can't have wreaths on our doors, Christmas decorations on our balconies, hardwood floors, satellite dish's, pets over 20lb's, etc.... Most of this stuff doesn't bother me because I don't want to do those things anyway but personally I don't care if my neighbors had these things. I will give the president credit though, he does keep the place looking nice for a 30 year old condo complex.

you can have a dish, you just can mount it permanently to the condo. if you have a view and a balcony you can put it on a post in a cement bucket and they pound sand.

Last edited:

mitzi

How is that Metrocast's fault??

Both of my TV's are supposed to be QAM ready too but I still needed the DTA's.

And if you have a digital DVR, you don't need the DTA's.

I've never had an issue with Metrocast and have always received superior customer service.

Me too. I've always been pleased with them. Issues are going to come up no matter what service you have.

Caution

Here is the deal. This is St. Mary's County MD. This is not some major market where numerous Cable Companies compete for market share. You get what you get. You don't like it? Well you probably should not have moved here then started bitching about the place. If it was so great were you were. Move the #### back. You asked a #### ton of questions before you came here. and you should have asked this one.

Welcome to the Neighborhood

MarieB

Here is the deal. This is St. Mary's County MD. This is not some major market where numerous Cable Companies compete for market share. You get what you get. You don't like it? Well you probably should not have moved here then started bitching about the place. If it was so great were you were. Move the #### back. You asked a #### ton of questions before you came here. and you should have asked this one.

There are monopolies in cities and suburbs across the nation - i know that. Yeah, less service for more money sucks but it is what it is. Some people can't even get DSL around here

Sometimes smart tv's aren't smart enough.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Nasty old man.

Hank

my war

:lmao:

Dick

Caution

There are monopolies in cities and suburbs across the nation - i know that. Yeah, less service for more money sucks but it is what it is. Some people can't even get DSL around here

Sometimes smart tv's aren't smart enough.

Ya I think Metrocast is right expensive. But on the flip side of the coin I have not seen one competitive offer from any other cable franchise trying to get a foothold in the market down here. Why? Cause there just is not that much of a profit to be made here.

Maybe some day but for right now Metrocast is what we have.

Just bugs me to see new people move here and THEN start bitching. You were not smart enough to ask the right questions before coming here then that's on you. You feel a need to complain just to be a part of the herd, that is fine too. Have at it.

But if you don't like it here. LEAVE!

(no directed toward you at all Marie. Just a general rant from me and Crown Royal)

MarieB

Ya I think Metrocast is right expensive. But on the flip side of the coin I have not seen one competitive offer from any other cable franchise trying to get a foothold in the market down here. Why? Cause there just is not that much of a profit to be made here.

Maybe some day but for right now Metrocast is what we have.

Just bugs me to see new people move here and THEN start bitching. You were not smart enough to ask the right questions before coming here then that's on you. You feel a need to complain just to be a part of the herd, that is fine too. Have at it.

But if you don't like it here. LEAVE!

(no directed toward you at all Marie. Just a general rant from me and Crown Royal)

I don't mind the bitching so much, as people come here for jobs, etc. we are here because of a job opportunity, otherwise we wouldn't be here. I understand the sticker shock BUT, metrocast service has been really great for us. It wasn't what we were used to, but it could have been worse. I didn't expect competition here. There is also little in "larger" areas. It's the elitist #### that is annoying for me.

Caution

I don't mind the bitching so much, as people come here for jobs, etc. we are here because of a job opportunity, otherwise we wouldn't be here. I understand the sticker shock BUT, metrocast service has been really great for us. It wasn't what we were used to, but it could have been worse. I didn't expect competition here. There is also little in "larger" areas. It's the elitist #### that is annoying for me.

Ya I just tend to let some things get to me. This lady asked a bunch of questions before coming here. Had numerous folks go out of their way to help her. Them once she is here, starts whining within her first week of being here.

My thinking is. Who the hell asked you to come here and bless us all with your god damned snotty opinions?

If you are to good for Southern MD. then MOVE. Otherwise, how about shutting the hell up and not introduce yourself to all of us by being a beyotch. Maybe get out and spend some time meeting some people before dissing the place.

If all you have to bring with you is bitching. Please just leave.