Cain's Wife

Starman3000m

absolutely none of that says that his wife wasn't mary.
:caretotryagain:

Mary? Do you mean "Eve"? On the other hand, Cain's wife could have been named "Mary" but she would have been an offspring from Adam and Eve so as to be his sister, niece, cousin, distant cousin. The age of people in those days reached several hundred years old - so there was plenty of time for other female relatives to have been born and from among the ones that Cain chose to be his wife.

thatguy

Mary? Do you mean "Eve"? On the other hand, Cain's wife could have been named "Mary" but she would have been an offspring from Adam and Eve so as to be his sister, niece, cousin, distant cousin. The age of people in those days reached several hundred years old - so there was plenty of time for other female relatives to have from among the ones that Cain chose to be his wife.

obviously i meant eve......

but you still haven't given ANYTHING from the bible that says parent child incest was any less likely than sibling. Again proving that nhboy's theory IS a possibility.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I'm not picking sides, but the possibility of sexual relations with one's mother is the logical conclusion to what you all are proposing, unless you can find a specific and contextual scripture verse stating otherwise. Just sayin'.

Starman3000m

I'm not picking sides, but the possibility of sexual relations with one's mother is the logical conclusion to what you all are proposing, unless you can find a specific and contextual scripture verse stating otherwise. Just sayin'.

The Bible would have stated that "Cain knew Eve" instead of

And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch. (Genesis 4:17)

This can be compared to the story of Joseph and Mary where it specifically states that Joseph did not have relations with Mary until after the Christ-child was born:

Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:

And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS. (Matthew 1:24-25)

But, you won't believe that, Radiant1, because the Vatican tells you that Mary was a "perpetual virgin" and never had other children - contrary to what the Holy Bible states about Joseph and Mary having other children besides Jesus:

And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?

Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

But Jesus, said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

(Mark 6:2-4)

thatguy

The Bible would have stated that "Cain knew Eve" instead of

And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch. (Genesis 4:17)

This can be compared to the story of Joseph and Mary where it specifically states that Joseph did not have relations with Mary until after the Christ-child was born:

But, you won't believe that, Radiant1, because the Vatican tells you that Mary was a "perpetual virgin" and never had other children - contrary to what the Holy Bible states about Joseph and Mary having other children besides Jesus:

so you still have nothing biblical that forbids an eve/cain relationship? all you have done is post a bunch of extrabiblica conjecture.

if god would have said "cain knew eve" then why didn't he say "cain knew his sister XXXXX" makes no sense. the rest of your post is simply a distraction

thatguy

There Is Only One Truth (John 14:6)

so you still have nothing biblical that forbids an eve/cain relationship? all you have done is post a bunch of extrabiblica conjecture.

if god would have said "cain knew eve" then why didn't he say "cain knew his sister XXXXX" makes no sense. the rest of your post is simply a distraction

Dedee

Cain and his wife went to another part of the world.....Eve didn't leave Adam, they kept having children.

thatguy

Cain and his wife went to another part of the world.....Eve didn't leave Adam, they kept having children.

care to back that up with scripture? From what i am reading, after the cain incindent eve wasn't refered to in the begoting, only adam and his 'wife' considering multiple wives were common at the time Adam could have begoten the rest of his clan with one of his daughters/granddaughters.

Dedee

care to back that up with scripture? From what i am reading, after the cain incindent eve wasn't refered to in the begoting, only adam and his 'wife' considering multiple wives were common at the time Adam could have begoten the rest of his clan with one of his daughters/granddaughters.

Does Scripture or God allow polygamy?

In Matt. 19:4 we are told by Jesus that God created one “male and [one] female” and joined them in marriage. Mark 10:6-8: "But from the beginning of the creation, God 'made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, 'and the two shall become one flesh'; so then they are no longer two, but one flesh.
The two as one is the pattern on how marriage was to be conducted from the start. NOT three or four as one.

Eve was taken from Adams body and given back to him as his wife (singular) showing God’s approval of what the marriage union is to be like. God always spoke of man's “wife,” as singular, not wives. Notice it also states one father one mother.

It wasn’t until after the fall of Adam and Eve into sin (Gen. 4:23) that polygamy occurs. Cain was cursed, Lamech is a descendent of Cain who is the first to practice polygamy. The first time polygamous relationship is found in the Bible is with a thriving rebellious society in sin; when a murderer named “Lamech [a descendant of Cain] took for himself two wives” (Gen.4:19, 23).

thatguy

Does Scripture or God allow polygamy?

In Matt. 19:4 we are told by Jesus that God created one “male and [one] female” and joined them in marriage. Mark 10:6-8: "But from the beginning of the creation, God 'made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, 'and the two shall become one flesh'; so then they are no longer two, but one flesh.
The two as one is the pattern on how marriage was to be conducted from the start. NOT three or four as one.

Eve was taken from Adams body and given back to him as his wife (singular) showing God’s approval of what the marriage union is to be like. God always spoke of man's “wife,” as singular, not wives. Notice it also states one father one mother.

It wasn’t until after the fall of Adam and Eve into sin (Gen. 4:23) that polygamy occurs. Cain was cursed, Lamech is a descendent of Cain who is the first to practice polygamy. The first time polygamous relationship is found in the Bible is with a thriving rebellious society in sin; when a murderer named “Lamech [a descendant of Cain] took for himself two wives” (Gen.4:19, 23).

Again, another distraction, but i'll play......
How about Abram, Esau, jacob, gideon, elkanah, and solomon, how many wives did each of them have?
I would be willing to bet there are more mentions of multiple wives in the bible than of single ones.

but back on point, no one has shown any scripture that indicate cains wife COULDN"T have been his mother. In fact if cain took eve as his wife and adam took one of his own daughters it would explain why neither are mentioned by name in the rest of the story. Not that that is what i beleive, but it is certainly a possibility.

Dedee

Again, another distraction, but i'll play......
How about Abram, Esau, jacob, gideon, elkanah, and solomon, how many wives did each of them have?
I would be willing to bet there are more mentions of multiple wives in the bible than of single ones.

but back on point, no one has shown any scripture that indicate cains wife COULDN"T have been his mother. In fact if cain took eve as his wife and adam took one of his own daughters it would explain why neither are mentioned by name in the rest of the story. Not that that is what i beleive, but it is certainly a possibility.

I didn't know I was playing a game. I don't know everything and don't claim to. But the Bible does say that Lamech was the first to have more than one wife. God does not approve of polygamy, Solomon and David had many wives but the Bible is clear that it did not please God. I "think" that the Bible would say that Cain and Eve got together simply because it tells us when Lot's daughters got him drunk and had sex with him to have children that God was very displeased. so I don't think it would leave something like that out.....just my thoughts...not sure....I don't think we are supposed to know everything. Is it that important?

StoneThrower

Thanks Radiant. Wonder what else God decided to 'leave out' of the Bible? :coffee:

1St Timothy3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

That’s all you need to know. The name of Cain’s sister is not going to lead you to salvation, nor does it point to Christ, or his plan of redemption!

John 21:25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Let alone, every other character in the Bible given honorable mention. Its historical narrative, that is axiomatic, not a complete account of all history.

So tell me again, why have you yet to turn from your sin and put your faith and trust in Jesus Christ alone for your salvation? What are you waiting for?
Today is the day of salvation!
V/r
Junior

thatguy

I didn't know I was playing a game. I don't know everything and don't claim to. But the Bible does say that Lamech was the first to have more than one wife. God does not approve of polygamy, Solomon and David had many wives but the Bible is clear that it did not please God. I "think" that the Bible would say that Cain and Eve got together simply because it tells us when Lot's daughters got him drunk and had sex with him to have children that God was very displeased. so I don't think it would leave something like that out.....just my thoughts...not sure....I don't think we are supposed to know everything. Is it that important?

your interpretation is your own, and i wont argue that with you, but you haven't backed it up with scripture at all. There are numerous instances of prominent figures in the bible having more than one wife. i dont think that means that god disapproved. Particularly David and Moses....

Dedee

your interpretation is your own, and i wont argue that with you, but you haven't backed it up with scripture at all. There are numerous instances of prominent figures in the bible having more than one wife. i dont think that means that god disapproved. Particularly David and Moses....

Read I & II Samuel

Dedee

I have already listed six instances where men in the bible had mulitple wives. there are plenty more....

I know it happened it still happens today but doesGod approve? The Bible does state that he does not. I don't have my Bible with me right now that's why I told you to read I & II Samuel. God punnished David greatly.