Calvert County / Chesapeake Village Bus Stop

wendyocurrie

How long have you lived there? Did you consider these issues when purchasing a home in that development? The road in front of that development is wider than most places on Bayside which gives the kids an oppportunity to be quite a distance away from the cars traveling on the main road. My elementary school kids catch the bus on Summer City Blvd. There is no shoulder nor sidewalk for the kids to stand on. I asked for the stop to be moved off the main road and was told that it was also against policy. They have those policies for the safety of all involved. I was not happy with being told no either so to ensure my children's safety I either take them to the bus stop or have another adult do so. I will continue to do this until I feel they are mature enough to handle the responsibility of being there alone or move to a home that the bus comes down the street.

We have lived here for two years. The request has been submitted and denied for at least the past three, so far as I know. I currently have provisions for my own children.

wendyocurrie

If Chesapeake Village is a HOA with private roads the School Board will have to execute an agreement with the HOA that permits school busses to service those houses within the sub-division fronting those private roads. Is the HOA willing to do that?

Yes. The elementary school bus makes three stops within the neighborhood. Requisite agreements are already in place.

I haven't been up there since the first couple houses were built so this question has to be asked: is there adequate turn around space for a school bus to manuever in the sub-division?

Yes.

You're not going to get a Deputy posted at the current stop, by the way. You'd be laughed out of the Sheriff's Office, although they might monitor it for a few days.

I agree. This is cost prohibitive and therefore not a viable solution.

On a general note, don't y'all just hate people who ask a question and then argue about the answer?

Last edited:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
We have lived here for two years. The request has been submitted and denied for at least the past three, so far as I know. I currently have provisions for my own children.

Yes. The elementary school bus makes three stops within the neighborhood. Requisite agreements are already in place.

How close are the other stops? It might be easier to just "vote with your feet". In general practice, it's supposed to work that the child goes to the bus stop closest to their home. We live in between 2 stops so my child goes to either one. Could the children at the 261 stop just go to one of the other stops in the neighborhood? If they all started getting on at a different stop, the bus driver would probably say something about asking to have that one stop dropped/changed. Or, if parents don't want their individual children picked up at that stop, they can be responsible for having their child get to another stop. So you see, you all DO have some options.

I doubt very much whether you will be successful in getting that 261 stop changed simply because to do so would set a precedent on the part of the school board and open the way for all such stops to be prohibited which would create a real mess for something that really hasn't been much of an issue overall in the County. Quite honestly, I really can't see that change happening.

(On another note, are you using the "reply with quote" button at the bottom of posts? Somehow or other, whenever you quote someone, it gets really messed up and is difficult to read.)

wendyocurrie

How close are the other stops? It might be easier to just "vote with your feet". In general practice, it's supposed to work that the child goes to the bus stop closest to their home. We live in between 2 stops so my child goes to either one. Could the children at the 261 stop just go to one of the other stops in the neighborhood? If they all started getting on at a different stop, the bus driver would probably say something about asking to have that one stop dropped/changed. Or, if parents don't want their individual children picked up at that stop, they can be responsible for having their child get to another stop. So you see, you all DO have some options.

I doubt very much whether you will be successful in getting that 261 stop changed simply because to do so would set a precedent on the part of the school board and open the way for all such stops to be prohibited which would create a real mess for something that really hasn't been much of an issue overall in the County. Quite honestly, I really can't see that change happening.
QUOTE]

We have only one stop for middle school and high school for our neighborhood. There are no other options for these kids besides the stop on 261. We are not asking for additional stops, only that the existing stop be moved away from 261. I understand the "precedent" concern that you mentioned and had considered that myself. I am unsure that it would apply here as there exists a unique mix of conditions that are particular to this circumstance. In fact, after having reviewed several bus schedules, moving the stop or adding stops would make Chesapeake Village more analogous with the precedent set in other neighborhoods. The Town Council Meeting is this evening and school starts next week. I am hopeful progress will be made soon. In any event, I have to "pull the string" to the end. It is the right thing to do for the kids. Thanks for your input on this issue.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We are taking responsibility to have the bus stop moved to an inherently safe location. Please see the county policy as quoted earlier in the discourse. Review the clause concerning egress.

Can you cite injuries or incidents over the last several years that would support your claim that it's unsafe?

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
I am wondering what the results were from the Chesapeake Beach Town Meeting on Thursday evening. I don't see anything here reporting any progress...:coffee: