Calvert County: Permit Needed for Sheds?

nutz

If I may ...

OMG! Really! It is a shed! An easily transportable shed that is placed on leveling cinder-blocks. Do you get a permit to place a camping trailer on your yard? Even for one of those huge fifth wheel travel trailers? The kind you could live in year round? No, you do not. Same with a shed. Un-permitted structures you are referring to is the kind that is built onsite, attached to the ground via a footer/foundation. Once it becomes "real estate" or a "real estate improvement", then you are kinda asking for trouble.

Real Estate: Land and anything fixed, immovable, or permanently attached to it such as appurtenances, buildings, fences, fixtures, improvements, roads, shrubs and trees (but not growing crops), sewers, structures, utility systems, and walls.

sounds like you're behind the curve. Most places now count "temporary" structures, adopting language to the effect of "Any structure having more than x sq. ft.". So gazebos, sheds, pergolas, etc. are now all included.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The only building permit exemption for sheds (accessory structures) that I can find was in COMAR. COMAR 05.02.07.04. 105.2 states -
105.2 Work exempt from permit.

Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:

Building:

1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (11 m2).

So if it was me I would definitely talk to someone in planning and zoning.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The only building permit exemption for sheds (accessory structures) that I can find was in COMAR. COMAR 05.02.07.04. 105.2 states - So if it was me I would definitely talk to someone in planning and zoning.
sounds like you're behind the curve. Most places now count "temporary" structures, adopting language to the effect of "Any structure having more than x sq. ft.". So gazebos, sheds, pergolas, etc. are now all included.

These are for "building", ie., onsite construction. Ie., a "work" crew comes out and "builds" it onsite. Ie., If the ground is disturbed to place (graded), support (footers), secure (foundations), etc. Why is it so difficult for you all to understand? Permits are for when you are "building" some thing. Do you think a "permit" is required to have placed one of those used conex containers for storage on your property? No. Of course not. So why would a pre-built shed being placed on some cinder block need one? It doesn't.

nutz

Last edited:

nutz

If I may ...

These are for "building", ie., onsite construction. Ie., a "work" crew comes out and "builds" it onsite. Ie., If the ground is disturbed to place (graded), support (footers), secure (foundations), etc. Why is it so difficult for you all to understand? Permits are for when you are "building" some thing. Do you think a "permit" is required to have placed one of those used conex containers for storage on your property? No. Of course not. So why would a pre-built shed being placed on some cinder block need one? It doesn't.

Yea, ok

Bassboater

just in case someone comes looking like i did an has same question
Detached garages and accessory structures. An accessory structure or detached garage may be permitted as an exemption to the elevation requirement if it is less than 300 square feet, used solely for parking of vehicles and limited storage, meets the venting requirements of § 46-33, has all interior wall, ceiling and floor elements below the flood protection elevation unfinished, and has no machinery, electric devices or appliances located below the flood protection elevation. A nonconversion agreement must be signed by the property owner.
D.
An accessory structure or a detached garage between 300 square feet and 600 square feet may be permitted below the flood protection elevation only by a conditioned permit described in § 46-10.
E.
An accessory structure or garage larger than 600 square feet in area must be elevated properly or be able to meet all applicable requirements under the variance procedure in § 46-40 of this chapter.

http://ecode360.com/15519874