Cannon Shots in SOMD

TPD

the poor dad
Is this going to continue indefinitely? Having it happen every few minutes, around clock, is getting old.

I did some sleuthing today and eliminated one person I thought it could be coming from. I'm almost sure the sound is my first hunch - deer deterrent. After sitting at my desk all afternoon with the windows open, I have realized the blasts are coming from two different locations. Times are varying but averaging about once every 45 minutes from each location best I can tell. My guess is after about a week, these machines will be moved to different locations only because the deer will become accustomed to the noise, as someone here has already mentioned.

Just for those that don't know, we as farmers lose thousands of dollars every year due to deer eating our crops. The population seems to be worse this year than previous. One farm I planted soybeans on about 3 weeks ago - 70 acres total - appears to have already lost 10% due to the deer. This equates to at least $3,000! This is only one of many farms I till. Of course we are still months away from harvest and the fawns are only getting bigger and eating more each day so losses will get bigger.

If you wanna see what I am talking about, watch this video. Same farm but while I was harvesting wheat 4 weeks ago. Start at about the 3:55 mark if you just want to see all the deer I am talking about.

[video=youtube;WieIMRKKcO0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WieIMRKKcO0&t=103s[/video]

I'm timing it at every 15minutes. Where I am, in the woods, I can't differentiate locations. But it is noticeably louder at my parents' house on the water.

I small-animal farm, and coyotes are a problem. My choice of deterrent is livestock guardian dogs. Yes, I do rely a bit on the "right to farm" provisions to protect my investments (livestock and dogs) from neighbor complaints. But my dogs bark maybe 10min/night, if at all, and can only be heard by my closest neighbors (which aren't very close). I'm not sure that cannon fire going off every 15min 24hrs/day and audible within a several mile radius is going to go over well for long. I don't begrudge farmers their ecologically sound forms of crop protection, but when it impacts all of your neighbors on the south end of the county, people are going to begin to complain.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I want to punch in the face who ever is causing the booms to go off. All hours of the day and night, the guns go off. Ordinarily, it is just a nuisance, but the noise is freaking out my dog. She believes the noise to be thunder, and when she hears thunder, she whimpers, cowers in my closet, and pees on the carpet. I'm tired of cleaning my carpets. Knock off the damn guns!

glhs837

Power with Control
I did some sleuthing today and eliminated one person I thought it could be coming from. I'm almost sure the sound is my first hunch - deer deterrent. After sitting at my desk all afternoon with the windows open, I have realized the blasts are coming from two different locations. Times are varying but averaging about once every 45 minutes from each location best I can tell. My guess is after about a week, these machines will be moved to different locations only because the deer will become accustomed to the noise, as someone here has already mentioned.

Just for those that don't know, we as farmers lose thousands of dollars every year due to deer eating our crops. The population seems to be worse this year than previous. One farm I planted soybeans on about 3 weeks ago - 70 acres total - appears to have already lost 10% due to the deer. This equates to at least $3,000! This is only one of many farms I till. Of course we are still months away from harvest and the fawns are only getting bigger and eating more each day so losses will get bigger.

If you wanna see what I am talking about, watch this video. Same farm but while I was harvesting wheat 4 weeks ago. Start at about the 3:55 mark if you just want to see all the deer I am talking about.

[video=youtube;WieIMRKKcO0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WieIMRKKcO0&t=103s[/video]

The field on the east side of Rt 5 at the Park Hall Road intersection has a small herd wife and I see every day right on the south end about 20-30 feet into the field from the treeline.

RodRugg

There's this guy who lives in a trailer back in the woods behind my uncle's trailer back in the woods and he used to professionally shoot his guts with real cannonballs. After he quit his job, the circus let him keep that cannon as a reward or gift or whatever and now he keeps it in pieces under his trailer and puts it together sometimes. He usually just fills it with powder and blows it off to scare away birds or shake apples down. He used to fill it with rocks to see if he could shoot it up to the clouds or put in bricks and shoot his guts but then he said he started to believe that that's not where God's will was anymore so he quit. Anyways, I know it's not that guy because when he does my uncle's ears bleed and my grandma can even feel it at her house and it makes her feet hurt.

TPD

the poor dad
The heat has been turned up tonight - a blast about every 3 minutes!

I did learn today that it is not a local farmer responsible for these blasts but one of our “super farmers”.

stgislander

PREMO Member

I did learn today that it is not a local farmer responsible for these blasts but one of our “super farmers”.

Super farmers??? :confused:

Can you do one of your great videos on that topic?

So understanding the "right to farm" law - does it apply when you're bothering not just your immediate neighbors, but those within x mile radius with a 24hr/day cannon fire that goes off every few minutes? At night I can hear it through closed windows, a/c on and ear plugs. And at the current frequency, just when I start to doze off, I hear it again.

black dog

Free America
So understanding the "right to farm" law - does it apply when you're bothering not just your immediate neighbors, but those within x mile radius with a 24hr/day cannon fire that goes off every few minutes? At night I can hear it through closed windows, a/c on and ear plugs. And at the current frequency, just when I start to doze off, I hear it again.

Lots of information out on this topic.

https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/201...does-not-protect-farmer-using-propane-cannon/