Caps Trade

R

rhenderson

First glance - looks like a good trade for Caps. Chimera has better or at least more consistent stats than Clark. Looks like he will be assertive - running close to a hundred PIMs for full seasons. Also - he's a left winger which Caps need.

Bonus is they clear about $2M cap space. That could come in handy with the trading deadline still a few weeks away.

Terps

Do you think they will make anymore moves? What area do they really need to shore up before the deadline - more of a casual fan here so I'm not all that knowledable.

OldHillcrestGuy

Caps are freeing up salary cap space, trading deadline is in March sometime. Watch for Caps to free up more space by trading Theodore if not within a month, definitly by trading deadline. Has to be a reason behind them starting Neuvirth 3 straight games before last night. Theodore had a lousy game last night and has been complaining about playing time.
Whole team played bad last night and you gotta contribute some of it to the trade, Clark was a big asset in the locker room a good leader and the trade kind of came out of nowhere, players learned about as they arrived for the game last night. Clark was a big player for the Caps just a couple of years ago but injuries kind of pushed him down from the front lines to the 3rd or 4th line, and he was playing out of position this year.
Good trade for Caps, got a guy who is doing a bit more scoring then Clark, and is more of a enforcer which the Caps, need to protect their star players, Ovie, Semin, and Backstrom. Didnt include Green he's also one of the stars but he can protect himself.
I look for the Caps to pickup a defensemen, a big stay at home type guy who can handle himself for the playoff run. Could be a big name type guy also. They picked up alot of salary cap space with this trade and finally getting rid of Nylander's contract and trading Theodore would clear up a whole lot of $$$.

Last edited:

DaBRAVES

Getting rid of Clark was good. He was a good leader but has been injury prone as of late. I wish they could of kept Jurcina though. He was one of their better defensemen. I would of liked them to get rid of Schultz!!!!! He is terrible!!

Peter Forsberg

Varly is hot and...

...is garnering experience.:lol:
Varlys getting warm in the AHL!!! Threeormore played well the other night against the canes... NOT Let's call him Sixormore? Caps have a great team but need solid goaltending come playoff time. Maybe thats why they are clearing cap space!

Last edited:

DaBRAVES

Varlys getting warm in the AHL!!! Threeormore played well the other night against the canes... NOT Let's call him Sixormore? Caps have a great team but need solid goaltending come playoff time. Maybe thats why they are clearing cap space!

Great point. Hopefully Threeormore will have a few more solid games between now and the deadline. Varly is our #1 but as seen against the Pens last season, he is suspect. We need a solid backup that can be relied on. Someone like Clemenson or Voukoun from Florida would be great.

I think at the deadline watch for the caps to get a solid defensemen like a Hal Gill and a soild backup goalie.

DaBRAVES

I don't think Atlanta can hold on to Ilya Kovulchuk's contract....That would be a nice addition .......

NO!!!!! The last thing this team needs is more scoring. We have enough of it. What we need is goaltending and hard nose solid defensmen. Plus I think Ted learned his lesson with Jagr. The CAPS are not run like the DEADSKINS. They will not try to "BUY" a championship.

Peter Forsberg

NO!!!!! The last thing this team needs is more scoring. We have enough of it. What we need is goaltending and hard nose solid defensmen. Plus I think Ted learned his lesson with Jagr. The CAPS are not run like the DEADSKINS. They will not try to "BUY" a championship.
I got an idea put Fat Albert in Goal? :killingme

OldHillcrestGuy

Thank god Ted learned his lesson with Jagr. The Caps now have one on the best farms systems in Hockey. Hershey is again atop the the AHL and Caps have many players just about ready for the NHL.
I dont believe the Caps will bring any other goaltender in here, I do think Theodores days are numbered. Varlarmov is the goaltender of the future and he did quite well in the playoffs last year for being so young and new to the NHL. With the rest of this season to get more experience he will be just fine come playoff time. Nervrith(sp) is getting more playing time and will be a capable backup by seasons end.
We dont need more scorers we need a big stay at home defensman in the likes of the old days with Stevens and Langway.
Shutlz is having a good year much better then last year, I think he is one of the top plus/minus guys in the league this year.

They didnt look so good last night. Nervrith(sp) although they lost by 3 kept them in that game with numerous great saves. Green had a horrible game, not being selected for the Canadian team must have affected him. He should be on that team. IMO.

Peter Forsberg

Thank god Ted learned his lesson with Jagr. The Caps now have one on the best farms systems in Hockey. Hershey is again atop the the AHL and Caps have many players just about ready for the NHL.
I dont believe the Caps will bring any other goaltender in here, I do think Theodores days are numbered. Varlarmov is the goaltender of the future and he did quite well in the playoffs last year for being so young and new to the NHL. With the rest of this season to get more experience he will be just fine come playoff time. Nervrith(sp) is getting more playing time and will be a capable backup by seasons end.
We dont need more scorers we need a big stay at home defensman in the likes of the old days with Stevens and Langway.
Shutlz is having a good year much better then last year, I think he is one of the top plus/minus guys in the league this year.

They didnt look so good last night. Nervrith(sp) although they lost by 3 kept them in that game with numerous great saves. Green had a horrible game, not being selected for the Canadian team must have affected him. He should be on that team. IMO.
San Jose looked strong last night and if the Caps are going to win the Cup they will have to beat them in a long grinding series.

OldHillcrestGuy

San Jose looked strong last night and if the Caps are going to win the Cup they will have to beat them in a long grinding series.

I was thinking the same thing while I watched the game, they are a very good team and have been for a couple of years now. Alot of offense and good goalie. Those of us on here have our favorite teams, Penguins, Flyers and Capitals and our teams dont play many games with the Western Conference teams so we dont see just how good some of them are out West.
San Jose led the whole league in points last year, but then I think went out in the first round of the playoffs, they do seem to have the Capitals number we beat them earlier this year, but Caps havent beaten them out there in what 13 years. Heck Caps have to get by their own hangups, like the Pens to even think about a Cup Final.

Peter Forsberg

I was thinking the same thing while I watched the game, they are a very good team and have been for a couple of years now. Alot of offense and good goalie. Those of us on here have our favorite teams, Penguins, Flyers and Capitals and our teams dont play many games with the Western Conference teams so we dont see just how good some of them are out West.
San Jose led the whole league in points last year, but then I think went out in the first round of the playoffs, they do seem to have the Capitals number we beat them earlier this year, but Caps havent beaten them out there in what 13 years. Heck Caps have to get by their own hangups, like the Pens to even think about a Cup Final.

Another scary team is the Chicago Blackhawks. They have that Patrick Kane line that can put the biscuit in the back of the net. Huet X Caps goaltender is in net for them.

ranger73

Went to the Bears game on Saturday Night and Varly was watching from 2 sections over. It didn't sound like he suited up the game before either.