Carpal Tunnel

K

kris31280

Anyone else had it long term? Did you get surgery for it? Was it helpful?

I've been dealing with it off and on for about 10 years now, but this time around it's actually really really painful, and I'm sick of the feeling like someone's injecting fire in to my forearm. I've heard good things and bad things about the surgery, so I'm lookin' to see if anyone else has had it or knows someone who has and what their outcome was.

I've been dealing with it off and on for about 10 years now, but this time around it's actually really really painful, and I'm sick of the feeling like someone's injecting fire in to my forearm. I've heard good things and bad things about the surgery, so I'm lookin' to see if anyone else has had it or knows someone who has and what their outcome was.

My brother is an iron worker and about a decade ago he had carpal in both hands so bad, he'd have to soak them in ice water each night when he got home to lessen the pain. He feared his only recourse would be surgery, but knew surgery would impair his ability to to intricate work. I did extensive research and found a cure for him.

Check it out and DO IT. natural, Herbal Home Remedies For Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment

I swear he noticed a difference within two weeks and within a couple months no longer needed to wear his braces. It's been over a decade and he has had no more issues and in fact, other ailments have be bannished as well. He follows the B vitamin regiment faithfully because he can tell when he gets lax.

NURSCAMERON

I am a nurse and after 18 years of charting, writing my initials hundreds of times, & writing my signature hundreds of times a shift, I finally had to break down and have the surgery. I did extensive research on orthopedic surgeons and finally decided on Dr. Razzaq in Waldorf. I had my right hand done, which required me to be out of work 6 weeks as I couldn't write good until about 5 weeks. The surgery was less traumatic than I had expected. I still have a little ache in my right hand if I over use my hand during an activity, however, my hand no longer goes numb while i'm driving down the road. Best decision I made and am going to have my left hand done this next year!!!! Good luck..

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I am a nurse and after 18 years of charting, writing my initials hundreds of times, & writing my signature hundreds of times a shift, I finally had to break down and have the surgery. I did extensive research on orthopedic surgeons and finally decided on Dr. Razzaq in Waldorf. I had my right hand done, which required me to be out of work 6 weeks as I couldn't write good until about 5 weeks. The surgery was less traumatic than I had expected. I still have a little ache in my right hand if I over use my hand during an activity, however, my hand no longer goes numb while i'm driving down the road. Best decision I made and am going to have my left hand done this next year!!!! Good luck..

Good Gawd, six weeks? I guess in your profession, that might be the case. My BFF had it on a Thursday at that center in Annapolis (don't remember the name) and she was back to work on Monday. Course, she wasn't writing a lot, but was doing a lot on the computer. I think they've come a long way with it, Kris, and if you can afford it or your insurance pays for it, get it done. I don't know anyone that has been out of work for more than a week after having it done.

How's that little boy of yours?

Radiant1

Soul Probe

I'm on the keyboard up to 12 hours a day. I've been dealing with a combo of carpal tunnel and de Quervaine's for 5 years now. You can actually see the sheathed median nerve bulging from my right wrist heading up my arm, and my wrist flexors/extensors are so weak now that I can't even make a tight fist or open jars. I've been avoiding surgery due to the recovery period and the nature of my work.

I was told by my doctor to shake my hands out every morning; however, I find that just aggravates the issue, but it may be helpful to you. Wear wrist splints at night while sleeping; we often contract our wrists during sleep without noticing. Switch to an ergonomic split keyboard; I can't tell you how much this has helped me! When using the mouse, make sure your wrist hangs off an edge so there is no pressure on the underside of it. Pay attention to your chair height when at your desk; your arms should be level with your keyboard, not leaning up or down. Seriously, they are little things, but if you pay attention to them they are really helpful in avoiding exacerbations.

I'm going to try Kwillia's suggestion with the B vitamins. :yay:

I'm going to try Kwillia's suggestion with the B vitamins. :yay:

Please at least give it a try. Take it faithfully and you should notice a big difference in a few weeks. I did extensive research on it. Do some reading yourself and you will understand the importance of B vitamins and their relationship to nerve repair.

dn0121

I've heard good things about the surgery. I switched to a track ball and ergo keyboard 8 years ago and learned to use my left hand with the track ball. I will switch between the two hands a few times a day most days. It has helped some.

Bossylady

I suffered with carpal tunnel for six years and wore the arm supports at night
had it in both hands.I would hurt and have numbness in the left hand to the point I couldn't hold anything in that hand.I had the surgery on both hands
one in Dec. the other in Feb. I am so glad I had it done instantly pain free.

Dr.Helmut Pfalz
Calvert Memorial Hospital

Excellent bed side manner Excellent Doctor.

Last edited:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Please at least give it a try. Take it faithfully and you should notice a big difference in a few weeks. I did extensive research on it. Do some reading yourself and you will understand the importance of B vitamins and their relationship to nerve repair.

Will do.

I've heard good things about the surgery. I switched to a track ball and ergo keyboard 8 years ago and learned to use my left hand with the track ball. I will switch between the two hands a few times a day most days. It has helped some.

I tried a track ball but my fingers would cramp up. How long did it take you to get used to using your left hand?

I suffered with carpal tunnel for six years and wore the arm supports at night
had it in both hands.I would hurt and have numbness in the left hand to the point I couldn't hold anything in that hand.I had the surgery on both hands
one in Dec. the other in Feb. I am so glad I had it done instantly pain free.

How long was your recovery each time?

Bossylady

Two weeks before stitches came out and 3 weeks before I could get it wet in the shower.Then I could start to use the hand as mush as I wanted.

I would do it all over again the Doctor will tell you what could happen but that is with all surgery.Good luck and let us know the out come.I highly
recommend Dr.Pfalz.

K

kris31280

Thank you everyone for the help! I'm gonna try Kwillia's idea since my doctor's appointment isn't until June 24, at least that way I'll be able to notice if there's any change coming from it before I even attempt to get scheduled for the surgery.

BS Gal, Rowan's doing really well. He's almost 4 and every bit as independent as his mama, which is frustrating to no end but ultimately is a good thing. How are you doing? :huggy:

I went through an intense series of physical therapy, they taught me a lot of stretching exercises that really helped and had tens unit therapy. Mine eased up a lot with the PT..

Oh and they watched how I write and type and made suggestions, in my case they said that-- it appears that as a child I was actually left handed and was forced to be right handed--

Last edited: