Cartoonist Slammed As 'Racist' For Serena Williams Cartoon

Toxick

Splat
Remember what Morgan Freeman said when asked about racism: "Stop talking about it."

Edit: this is to say, stop finding racism where there is none.

Thank you for translating English into English.

I do not look for racism. I do not look to be offended. I do not have the mentality of one of these hand-waving social justice warrior panty-waste morons. I am not a fan of identity politics and I never handle groups of people with kid-gloves just because they may get salty on me.

However, I'm not going to turn a blind eye, or outright deny obvious lapses in judgement - and that cartoon is a glaring lapse in judgement.

I agree that one of the first steps in ending racism is to not hunt it down and find it where it doesn't exist. Another one of the ways is when it does crop up, lop it the heck off.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What, that they didn't see it as you do? You don't seem to get the fact that it is only your opinion that the cartoon is racist. Others can and do see it differently.

I recall the various caricatures of ole Barry over the last 8 years or so....I guess most of them were over-the-top rayciss too. Caricatures of humans, by definition, exaggerate body features...most of the time, facial body features.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
But here's the thing - and I mentioned this yesterday.. we're not talking about a dog. Or an actual barbarian or even a young uneducated sweet summer child who drew this picture.
This is a professional artist who is (presumably) situationally aware.

I say presumably because I do not know the artist, his upbringing, his culture or truth be told, his species. I am presuming this is an American who is familiar with American Culture (as well as its current foibles and mores). And I do not believe this is an unreasonable presumption.

So here is my compromise with you.... If this is an American artist who lives in this culture and is familiar with our trends, our past and sensitivities and sensibilities, then I will continue to assert this is an ignorant piece of work put together by ignorant person, and approved by other ignoramouses, and defended by even more ignoramouses.

If it was drawn by a puppy, I will take everything I've said back and issue you, and everyone else in this thread a formal, sincere apologies with all due humility.

:shrug:

I'm not offended per se. I'm just boggled that anyone would think that picture was OK in today's climate. That kind of #### belongs in the past with Flat-Earthers, zoot-suits and zeppelins.

He's an Australian.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
it is only your opinion that the cartoon is racist.

No, bebe. The cartoon caused a ####storm because a LOT of people saw it the same way as I did. Now, I'm fairly used to being the weirdo who thinks differently than the majority, but while I didn't take a poll or anything and have no statistics to share, I have seen a rather impressive backlash on various social media and comments sections.

So no, it's not "only" my opinion. And if that many people saw the insensitivity of the cartoon, surely someone along the editorial line of the Herald Sun saw it too.

Smokey1

No, bebe. The cartoon caused a ####storm because a LOT of people saw it the same way as I did. Now, I'm fairly used to being the weirdo who thinks differently than the majority, but while I didn't take a poll or anything and have no statistics to share, I have seen a rather impressive backlash on various social media and comments sections.

So no, it's not "only" my opinion. And if that many people saw the insensitivity of the cartoon, surely someone along the editorial line of the Herald Sun saw it too.

And a lot of people have the opinion that it is not racist. Who wins?

black dog

Free America

It shocks me that someone who owns a social media platform sees satire as racist material.
Like the cartoons in Playboy, Penthouse and Hustler Magazines... Nothing but Satire.
1984, Flynt V. Falwell. Thank God for Larry Flint...

This_person

But here's the thing - and I mentioned this yesterday.. we're not talking about a dog. Or an actual barbarian or even a young uneducated sweet summer child who drew this picture.
This is a professional artist who is (presumably) situationally aware.

I say presumably because I do not know the artist, his upbringing, his culture or truth be told, his species. I am presuming this is an American who is familiar with American Culture (as well as its current foibles and mores). And I do not believe this is an unreasonable presumption.

So here is my compromise with you.... If this is an American artist who lives in this culture and is familiar with our trends, our past and sensitivities and sensibilities, then I will continue to assert this is an ignorant piece of work put together by ignorant person, and approved by other ignoramouses, and defended by even more ignoramouses.

If it was drawn by a puppy, I will take everything I've said back and issue you, and everyone else in this thread a formal, sincere apologies with all due humility.

:shrug:

I'm not offended per se. I'm just boggled that anyone would think that picture was OK in today's climate. That kind of #### belongs in the past with Flat-Earthers, zoot-suits and zeppelins.

Is it your suggestion that a black person being caricatured would then by definition always be a racist thing? Do you see no way to caricature a black person without it being racist?

This_person

Thank you for translating English into English.

I do not look for racism. I do not look to be offended. I do not have the mentality of one of these hand-waving social justice warrior panty-waste morons. I am not a fan of identity politics and I never handle groups of people with kid-gloves just because they may get salty on me.

However, I'm not going to turn a blind eye, or outright deny obvious lapses in judgement - and that cartoon is a glaring lapse in judgement.

I agree that one of the first steps in ending racism is to not hunt it down and find it where it doesn't exist. Another one of the ways is when it does crop up, lop it the heck off.

But, it didn't crop up here. Racism requires the intent of demonstrating a superiority of one's race, or inferiority of another's. That is simply not present here in any way, shape, or form.

This_person

That's even worse. I thought Australians were supposed to be these world models of tolerance and civility that we knuckle dragging 'Murcans are supposed to emulate?

Well, rumor is they simply don't see race as a "thing" about which to be worried, and therefore are able to caricature a black person without considering it "racist".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It shocks me that someone who owns a social media platform sees satire as racist material.
Like the cartoons in Playboy, Penthouse and Hustler Magazines... Nothing but Satire.

Caught me by surprise too, she did...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Perhaps you should consider reading something other than skin mags.