cell phone for kids

HappyCats

I have one step child from my hubby and the childs mother can be a real pain in the butt sometimes. We got the kids cell phones because of after school projects, if they are with friends at the mall or just out. You never know when a cell phone can come in handy.

She refuse to let the child use the phone. Hubby had to have the lawyer take over it and they actually had to go to mediation because of it.

She now lets the child bring and use the phone. We of course only call if we cannot get a hold of them with the land line. But I cannot believe she made us go thru all that.

It never ceases to amaze me how unreasonable adults can be. My relationship with my ex is good. He is a great Dad...I just figured it would be easier if she had her own phone. I know that she would be allowed to use it...it's long distance for her to call me from his house!

B

Bronwyn

Some phones have GPS that you can activate from your phone. If the phone is lost you can find it.

I heard on the radio that a lady put her (niece? I think) cell phone in her BF car. She thought he was cheating so she tracked him for three weekes with the GPS. :lmao:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Don't they have little kid phones? I think I remember seeing one that has like 4 buttons on it. You program 4 numbers in it they can call. Your cell, house, 911 etc..

aanderson

Thinking about getting my kid a cell phone. Has anyone tried the "Kajeet" phone for kids? Just curious how coverage is and how much $$ do you keep in the wallet for usage?

TIA:howdy:

Do you have a Verizon plan? If so you can add your kid for $10 a month and then just get the free phone that comes with the deal. My son is 11 and has this phone...works well for calls and texting, but does not have any option to do web or download music or anything else. And the service is just as good as mine. He has had it for a year now and we haven't had any problems with him going over in minutes or misusing it...and I like having the ability to get ahold of him whenever.

Oh and we have the same situation...he goes to his dad's every other weekend.

bcp

In My Opinion
my daughter has had a cell phone since she was 9.
she has never abused it. and I do check.

sockgirl77

Would you consider chores as payment?

Yep. I do believe in the allowance system. Worked well with me. However neither of my little brothers were given that system. They were just had everything handed to them. And now, neither of them appreciates a dollar.

My boy does chores around the house everyday - some he needs to be reminded, others are automatic... I consider this his "payment"... BTW we have Verizon and it is an additonal $10/month. We also sprung for the insurance - $4.99/month for lost, stolen, damage replacement - $50 deductable... only had to use it once in 3 1/2 years.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Yep. I do believe in the allowance system. Worked well with me. However neither of my little brothers were given that system. They were just had everything handed to them. And now, neither of them appreciates a dollar.

I don't believe in an allowance. :lol: The girls are supposed to keep their space clean and they should help around the house because they live in it, too. I will remind them if they forget, but I also give punishments for habitual reminding. :patriot:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I don't believe in an allowance. :lol: The girls are supposed to keep their space clean and they should help around the house because they live in it, too. I will remind them if they forget, but I also give punishments for habitual reminding. :patriot:

I agree with you for the most part. In my house they are called responsibilities. We all have them and don't always get paid to do them. If one of my kids wants to something over and above what their daily responsibilties to earn money, then I consider the task and how much I think it would be worth. :coffee:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
I hear ya. Besides 10 really is not a bad age for them to start using the cell phone. You know your kid best and the situation.

It gives me a peace of mind that I can call them or they can call me if they ever need to.

:yay: My daughter is 10, she got her cell phone at 9 I think, never has abused it .