Chancellors Run Road, I got LASED!!!!!!!

glhs837

Power with Control
Not sure of the LIDAR max range (I recall reading that it is usually less than 2000), but they typically have a beamwidth of 3 to 4 milliradians (.17 to .23 degrees). At 4000 feet that would equate to a beam size of a right about 2.5 feet at a range of 4000, I'm sure the bridge is quite a bit wider.

I thought +7 is usually when cops will consider pulling people over. +10 is more likely and at +15 it's considered reckless driving and your ticket got that much uglier. No?

https://www.stalkerradar.com/lidar_lr.shtml

Beam Divergence: < 3 mrad FWHM.
3 feet x 3 feet @1000 feet (.9 meters x .9 meters @ 304.8 meters)

this appears to say, to my untrained eye, anyway, to say that at 1,000 feet, the beam is almost 9 square feet. Taking that out to 4,000 feet, well, 3 feet wide doesnt seem logical.

Police LIDAR Laser

In this listing here, it seems that 3-4 feet at 1,000 feet is normal, so 2.5 at 4,000 doesnt jive.

Beta, every officer is different, and has different standards, I just use 10 as the common point I have seen officers use amongst themselves. Some say 5 over, some say 12, but most seem to come down to 10 as the magic number.
And according to this, which does link to the appropriate Md code, there is no number associated with reckless driving.......

State Traffic and Speed Laws

MGA HTML Statutes

(a) A person is guilty of reckless driving if he drives a motor vehicle:
(1) In wanton or willful disregard for the safety of persons or property; or
(2) In a manner that indicates a wanton or willful disregard for the safety of persons or property.
(b) A person is guilty of negligent driving if he drives a motor vehicle in a careless or imprudent manner that endangers any property or the life or person of any individual.

Last edited:

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Just drive with your high beam son all the time. It will cut the effective range of the police laser in half.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
https://www.stalkerradar.com/lidar_lr.shtml

this appears to say, to my untrained eye, anyway, to say that at 1,000 feet, the beam is almost 9 square feet. Taking that out to 4,000 feet, well, 3 feet wide doesnt seem logical.

Police LIDAR Laser

In this listing here, it seems that 3-4 feet at 1,000 feet is normal, so 2.5 at 4,000 doesnt jive.

Beta, every officer is different, and has different standards, I just use 10 as the common point I have seen officers use amongst themselves. Some say 5 over, some say 12, but most seem to come down to 10 as the magic number.
And according to this, which does link to the appropriate Md code, there is no number associated with reckless driving.......

State Traffic and Speed Laws

MGA HTML Statutes
Yeah, I screwed up my calculation by not computing for the circumference and only used the radius. At 4000 feet 1mrad would be approx. 3.92 feet, given that the unit you referenced has a beamwidth of <3mrad the beam would still be less than 12 feet at that distance. How wide is the bridge?

glhs837

Power with Control
Bridge shows about 25-30 feet wide, so the beam wouldnt be wider, only half. But of course, you would need a tripod mount to hold the beam to just the eastbound lane at that range.