Changing Maryland???

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Good question.

I think one of each party, however many are listed, plus you can write if who you like.

The idea of closed primaries gives too much power to the parties, in my view. "You can't vote in OUR private primary for, or against, someone who we intend to be your ELECTED representative of OUR public gummint."

What do you think?

Primaries are held for the benefit of the parties. It allows the members of those parties to select which of several hopefuls they wish to represent their party in the general election. Why bother having a primary if any Tom, Dick, or Harriet can vote to decide who the party should support?

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
It puts the power of who can run for office squarely in the hands of government. Could EVERY party get funding, or just the two big ones?

I'm not necessarily advocating for this idea -- yet. But from the proponents that I've talked to, busting up the two party monopoly is part and parcel to this whole thing. Fund a diverse group of candidates, parties either don't exist are are irrelevant at this level.

I don't have the answers, but I believe that as our system is supposed to be "of the people, by the people, for the people", public funding of elections is a whole lot closer to the embodiment of that than is the "he who has the most money wins" model we currently have.

SamSpade

I'm not necessarily advocating for this idea -- yet. But from the proponents that I've talked to, busting up the two party monopoly is part and parcel to this whole thing. Fund a diverse group of candidates, parties either don't exist are are irrelevant at this level.

I don't have the answers, but I believe that as our system is supposed to be "of the people, by the people, for the people", public funding of elections is a whole lot closer to the embodiment of that than is the "he who has the most money wins" model we currently have.

Consider the fact that public funding also puts the cost of funding someone you DETEST on you. You are being charged to pay for the campaign of someone you are vehemently opposed to.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
Consider the fact that public funding also puts the cost of funding someone you DETEST on you. You are being charged to pay for the campaign of someone you are vehemently opposed to.

The system as it is designed now guarantees I get someone I DETEST foisted upon me, and I'm forced to pay for it, so at least it is no different in those departments.

But I do see where you are going and take your point. Like I said, this is just one idea.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Primaries are held for the benefit of the parties. It allows the members of those parties to select which of several hopefuls they wish to represent their party in the general election. Why bother having a primary if any Tom, Dick, or Harriet can vote to decide who the party should support?

Exactly; the party. Not the nation. The party. At the end of the day, the stick bomb guy I may like IS going to be, should he or she win, the leader of every Tom, Dick and Harriet.

If you're argument is that the two party system is good enough, I can accept that without agreeing to it. :buddies:

SamSpade

The system as it is designed now guarantees I get someone I DETEST foisted upon me, and I'm forced to pay for it, so at least it is no different in those departments.

I am not sure how the current PRIVATE method of funding in any way leaves you with the bill of paying for someone you don't want. You don't even have to show up at the polls (unlike, say, Australia where you are FINED if you don't vote).

What we ultimately are aiming for is to de-fang the two major parties - they have so much power as to make other parties less relevant. People are ok with a concept such as a Green Party, whose policies are intended to coalesce around a safer, cleaner environment. Do all this other stuff, but the environment is paramount. But what happens with money, debates, airtime is that their message is erased.

I am okay with the concept of a party. Have an issue, or a philosophy, you should be able to get your voice heard. What got the Republican Party started was primarily the issue of anti-slavery. This is the basic idea of representation and representative government instead of democracy. That's why the representative and Senators from Wyoming are chosen by the people of that state, even if the majority of the nation does NOT agree with them. They represent their constituency. I get it. Same with parties and factions and so forth.

What I don't like is what many on here don't like - the differences between the two major parties disappearing, but no one else gets a shot at the brass ring. So we're left to choose between two people, neither of which we want, whose views don't differ radically.

I've looked at solutions in other countries - and I don't like them either. For example, Norway doesn't permit political ads on TV and radio. Wow. That levels things a BIT, doesn't it?
But philosophically, it's an intrusion on free speech I can't trust.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I truly admire yours and Larry's optimism.

What optimism? I think the GOP had one great chance to turn this nation around before it was too late in 2001, leading the WH, both chambers of congress and a favorable court as well as strength in state houses across the nation and took it and blew it in ways that should make fans of big government look forward to the GOP getting control again. I think Bush perhaps the worst president we have ever had and I think he did irretrievable damage and one need look no further than his successor to see how far we're gone.

The US is in decline and I am not optimistic about things getting better because both sides pretty much want more of the same that got us here. People are getting on board with this, the entire too big to fail thing, simply out of personal survival. Jobs, cost of living, a mandate now that the feds can tell you what to buy, the wars. Look at us.

The most important thing in the world right now is some NBA guy who is OK with his GF screwing Magic Johnson, just don't bring him to the games. THAT is America now.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Exactly; the party. Not the nation. The party. At the end of the day, the stick bomb guy I may like IS going to be, should he or she win, the leader of every Tom, Dick and Harriet.

If you're argument is that the two party system is good enough, I can accept that without agreeing to it. :buddies:

I expressly did NOT mention a number of parties. In fact, in many jurisdictions, the primary elections include up to six parties participating.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I expressly did NOT mention a number of parties. In fact, in many jurisdictions, the primary elections include up to six parties participating.

Is that a distinction without a difference?

Where I come from on this is service to the community or state or nation. That, in my view, can NOT be subordinate to party interests and that is exactly what we see, all the time, especially in DC; people not voting for things they would support because their chairmanship is on the line. Or voting for something they don't support for similar reasons. And that is because their loyalty is to party, not the community or state or nation.

FollowTheMoney

Only need one

Pass a state constitutional amendment mandating the complete separation of the three branches of government. Meaning...
No lawyer, attorney, counselor, any member of the BAR or the judiciary, may run for elected office to the legislature or
executive branch without first (before filing) giving up their license to practice law and ending their membership in the
BAR. Second, that if elected, shall not apply for a law license, practice law, until 10 years have passed after leaving
said office.

You want to flush the excrement out of Annapolis and those chicken vacuums? This is how you do it.

You want change to happen? Put a stop to lawyers writing laws that benefit them, then profiting from them. Ever been
to the PG County courthouse? Seen the many delegates and senators walking the halls with their clients? Ever wonder
why we don't have tougher DWI/DUI laws on the books?
The only ones that benefit from the many laws passed are the lawyers. $$$$$$$$
And we suffer by losing our freedoms, rights and liberties.
There is a reason the founders put the separation of powers in the Constitution.

Once this happens, all other laws that need to be rescinded or strengthened, will be done by those that actually
represent the people, and not their bank accounts and their friends on the bench.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Pass a state constitutional amendment mandating the complete separation of the three branches of government. Meaning...
No lawyer, attorney, counselor, any member of the BAR or the judiciary, may run for elected office to the legislature or
executive branch without first (before filing) giving up their license to practice law and ending their membership in the
BAR. Second, that if elected, shall not apply for a law license, practice law, until 10 years have passed after leaving
said office.

You want to flush the excrement out of Annapolis and those chicken vacuums? This is how you do it.

You want change to happen? Put a stop to lawyers writing laws that benefit them, then profiting from them. Ever been
to the PG County courthouse? Seen the many delegates and senators walking the halls with their clients? Ever wonder
why we don't have tougher DWI/DUI laws on the books?
The only ones that benefit from the many laws passed are the lawyers. $$$$$$$$
And we suffer by losing our freedoms, rights and liberties.
There is a reason the founders put the separation of powers in the Constitution.

Once this happens, all other laws that need to be rescinded or strengthened, will be done by those that actually
represent the people, and not their bank accounts and their friends on the bench.
This sound kind of reactionary, why would someone's trade be a hinderance to being in politics?

FollowTheMoney

This sound kind of reactionary, why would someone's trade be a hinderance to being in politics?

Not at all reactionary. When the judiciary controls the legislature, as it does now, laws are made that shouldn't be. Laws that control
all aspects of life that only profit the system rather than doing any societal good. Why do you think laws are created, then passed,
and we haven't heard hide nor hair of then until some news or radio station every year tells us the plethora of laws to take effect in
October? The people didn't ask for them. There was no groundswell of demand to curb some type of criminal activity. They just make
and implement them so more and more people can get ensnared in the legal system so they can profit. Making the once law abiding
people criminals for past conduct that was once legal.

By the way, being a lawyer is not a trade. A carpenter, bricklayer, electrician etc are trades. Lawyers... well you know.
Lawyers being in politics is not a "hindrance" it is a conflict of interest.

daileyck1

well Texas represents a better business environment
.... Cali-fukU has been bleeding business into Nevada for 15 yrs or longer

this is just the latest - and a MAJOR Player, then Larry moving his green houses to Va.

yep business is BOOMING in texas just like that fertilizer plant.