Chantix

Sparx

I took it for one month 3 years ago and haven't smoked since. One month was all I could do because it messed with my stomach and made me snap at people much more than simple nicotine withdraw.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
and I used Chantix to help but it made me so sick! I vomited several times while taking it and would feel like garbage for atleast an hour after taking the pill! Needless to say - I gave up, but I have spoke to a doctor about having another try at it. I wonder what other things may work though! Oh and I had those vivid dreams too!

Don't take it on an empty stomach.

SoMdDude

I have a few friends who have had success with Chantix. My uncle tried to commit suicide while on Chantix, and another person i know successfully committed suicide while taking Chantix also. The commercials say that people who are depressed or already have suicidal thoughts shouldn't take it because it just makes those feelings worse.

After 2 weeks on the stuff, I too started having suicidal tendencies, but before i started taking chantix I never had those thoughts at all. I also became angry easily and wanted to rip peoples heads off..I stopped taking them because of the suicidal thoughts though

D

dems4me

I think everyone's make up is different and Chantix will have different effects on different people. :shrug: I did have very negative effects from it but it did help me quit smoking so I think it all balanced out.

I didnt WANT to quit smoking, I HAD to quit smoking for health reasons but even though I didn't really want to quit I was still able to do so using Chantix. I celebrate 2 years smoke free on June 6th. I think one of the reasons of not becoming a smoker again is because I dont want to go through all of that again and the Chantix issues. Its easier to just not smoke then go through it all again for me. :yay: Its not worth repeating. :yay:

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
Congratulations to all who have quit smoking and best of luck to those of you who are trying! My Dad said it was the hardest thing he had ever done and one thing he was very proud of.

JULZ

BFJ
I think everyone's make up is different and Chantix will have different effects on different people. :shrug: I did have very negative effects from it but it did help me quit smoking so I think it all balanced out.

I didnt WANT to quit smoking, I HAD to quit smoking for health reasons but even though I didn't really want to quit I was still able to do so using Chantix. I celebrate 2 years smoke free on June 6th. I think one of the reasons of not becoming a smoker again is because I dont want to go through all of that again and the Chantix issues. Its easier to just not smoke then go through it all again for me. :yay: Its not worth repeating. :yay:

:yeahthat:

I'm on my third week with Chantix and haven't quit yet...I don't think my drive is there yet, however I will keep working at it. The dreams are a trip!

D

dems4me

:yeahthat:

I'm on my third week with Chantix and haven't quit yet...I don't think my drive is there yet, however I will keep working at it. The dreams are a trip!

I took Chantix for a month before I quit. You'll get there :huggy: You'll get to the point where you realize you're just wasting ciggerettes and money... the Chantix has already blocked your receptors or whatever... What was important to me was stretching that first ciggerette in the morning... you dont have cravings if you don't keep smoking... so... I'd get dressed in the morning THEN smoke my first ciggerette. Then the next few days I'd wait until I was out the house THEN smoke that FIRST ciggerette... then wait until I'd get to a certain stoplight THEN smoke that first ciggerette... Eventually I had gotten it down to going an entire day at work without one... little by little... baby steps :yay: You can do it!! After realizing I went all day at work, I drank a bunch of beer, passed out... and there ya have it... one day smoke free, I never looked back really. I'll hold one here and there at parties but thats about it. It was critical to me though to keep putting off that first ciggerette later, and later in the day. Take your time to reach this goal - you'll get there!! Good luck!! :clap: :huggy:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My husband got a prescription years ago but he has no desire to quit so he's never taken any of the pills. I'm sure by now, they aren't even any good now. I could only imagine if he did take it and his dreams got even weirder than they normally are. He has the strangest dreams I have ever heard of and they are a regular occurance with him.

Congrats to everyone who has quit or is in the process of quitting. I wish my husband would but I can't make him unless he wants to. I just hope nothing has to happen (health-wise) for him to get the wake-up call and quit.

JULZ

BFJ
I took Chantix for a month before I quit. You'll get there :huggy: You'll get to the point where you realize you're just wasting ciggerettes and money... the Chantix has already blocked your receptors or whatever... What was important to me was stretching that first ciggerette in the morning... you dont have cravings if you don't keep smoking... so... I'd get dressed in the morning THEN smoke my first ciggerette. Then the next few days I'd wait until I was out the house THEN smoke that FIRST ciggerette... then wait until I'd get to a certain stoplight THEN smoke that first ciggerette... Eventually I had gotten it down to going an entire day at work without one... little by little... baby steps :yay: You can do it!! After realizing I went all day at work, I drank a bunch of beer, passed out... and there ya have it... one day smoke free, I never looked back really. I'll hold one here and there at parties but thats about it. It was critical to me though to keep putting off that first ciggerette later, and later in the day. Take your time to reach this goal - you'll get there!! Good luck!! :clap: :huggy:

That was a good plan you had there. Good for you. I'm gonna keep at it! Thanks for sharing.

D

dems4me

That was a good plan you had there. Good for you. I'm gonna keep at it! Thanks for sharing.

Sure and if you are home bound like on a weekend, just push the first smoke by 15 min. per day.... 8:30 one morning 8:45 the next morning, etc... if you want to challenge yourself....push yourself another 15 just to see if you can:shrug: Just occupy yourself to get through the craving and before you know it... its time for that FIRST ciggerette. :smile: Also its good to try to do this for all cravings (occupy and hold off) throughout if you can. But I found the key was the first ciggerettein the morning! You wake up and already have about 6-8 hours smoke free already under your belt! :smile: Go from there and push it back as much as you can, if you can, progressively on a daily basis. :yay: Good luck!! I'm cheering for ya! :clap: I know its much easier said then done, but I found this to be the easier, softer way on quitting, it wasn't extreme and cold turkey it was more of a cessation technique. And remember, "its not an event, its a process" you can do it!! :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

bobbyb

4 weeks here. Smoke free since January 13, 2007 @ 1525 hours. Last one finished at the intersection of Rt. 2/4. But whose counting?
Chanitix + will worked so far. I say so far because I personally have to re-quit every day.
I know the feeling. I quit 35 years ago and I still have strong feelings that I want to smoke again.

To this day, I still have to remind myself not to buy smokes whenever I go into a 7-11 or WaWa.

I know that if I ever smoke just one cigarette that I'm screwed and I'll be right back in the habit again.

[FONT=&quot]Congratulations to all of you that quit and are sticking with it.[/FONT]

Last edited:

JULZ

BFJ
Sure and if you are home bound like on a weekend, just push the first smoke by 15 min. per day.... 8:30 one morning 8:45 the next morning, etc... if you want to challenge yourself....push yourself another 15 just to see if you can:shrug: Just occupy yourself to get through the craving and before you know it... its time for that FIRST ciggerette. :smile: Also its good to try to do this for all cravings (occupy and hold off) throughout if you can. But I found the key was the first ciggerettein the morning! You wake up and already have about 6-8 hours smoke free already under your belt! :smile: Go from there and push it back as much as you can, if you can, progressively on a daily basis. :yay: Good luck!! I'm cheering for ya! :clap: I know its much easier said then done, but I found this to be the easier, softer way on quitting, it wasn't extreme and cold turkey it was more of a cessation technique. And remember, "its not an event, its a process" you can do it!! :clap:

I know it's hard work. It would be nice if I could just not have to think about it and just never smoke again.

Jameo

What?!
I know it's hard work. It would be nice if I could just not have to think about it and just never smoke again.

I decided to quit right in the middle of smoking a cigarette. Never thought about quitting prior to that moment. But I was done right then. Put the cigarette out and threw a whole pack away. It was like a switch was flipped. I have never had any cravings for one either. A few months ago I did lite one just for the hell of it. :dork: It made me sick. I don't miss it at all!

mingiz

Horse Poor
I used Chantix about 3 weeks this time and haven't had one since it has been alittle over a month. I quit once for 3 yrs and started back up. But this time I'm done. I thought I wanted a smoke the other night so I got a cig lit it, took a drag and put it out. I never realized how bad they tasted. The only part about it I do hate is the weight gain....:popcorn:

I know the feeling. I quit 35 years ago and I still have strong feelings that I want to smoke again.

To this day, I still have to remind myself not to buy smokes whenever I go into a 7-11 or WaWa.

I know that if I ever smoke just one cigarette that I'm screwed and I'll be right back in the habit again.

[FONT=&quot]Congratulations to all of you that quit and are sticking with it.[/FONT]

I always say that I am "one puff away from a carton."

glitch

Devil's Advocate
Chantix, Zyban, and the other 'quit smoking' drugs are nothing more than anti-depressants. Specifically, SSRIs (selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors). All they do is try to curb the anxiety, depression, and aggression that some people manifest while trying to quit smoking.

Please! For the love of god! Do your research before you try these kinds of medications. They are not Advil. These medications literally change the chemical balance of your brain.

I was proscribed an antidepressant (Xoloft) last year to help deal with some anxiety issues I was having. I lost 14lbs. in 11 days. Couldn't sit still for more than 5 minutes at a time. And had some seriously disturbing dreams/thoughts. I finally called my doctor, who wanted to up my dosage, to inform him that I had decided to quit taking the medication. Within a couple of weeks, I was still having anxiety issues but at least I was eating again. I'm convinced I was suffering from a mild case of seratonin poisoning. So, if you're already a mentally balanced person, I would think long and hard before using any SSRIs to help you quit.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I used Chantix for several months. No side affects.
It really does help !
Ex smoker for 2 years and 4 months now.

Last edited:

Rael

Supper's Ready
I decided to quit right in the middle of smoking a cigarette. Never thought about quitting prior to that moment. But I was done right then. Put the cigarette out and threw a whole pack away. It was like a switch was flipped. I have never had any cravings for one either. A few months ago I did lite one just for the hell of it. :dork: It made me sick. I don't miss it at all!

Quit for three years -- cold turkey. And kind of like you, it was a sudden decision to do it. And it was just as sudden a decision to go back to it. Why? Can't tell, honestly. Maybe that urge just never disappears completely.

As much as I think it's good to quit, I'm with those who say you have to WANT to quit in order to do it.