Charles Co. Fire Truck Overturns

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

That sucks that the truck flipped over. People seriously need to pull over when emergency vehicles have their lights and sirens on. I'm glad no one else was hurt when the truck flipped over.

What ever happened to the baby that they were responding to?

i'm not positive but I read on here that it was like a 13 y/o...so not a baby, and that (s)he? is fine now.

LateApex

Hello everyone, I'm new to the boards and I have something to say. I'm a volunteer in PG County and our station runs daily with Waldorf. The crew that day to me did nothing wrong, and it takes alot and I mean alot of training to drive one of those trucks. Must have the correct type of license, Emergency Vehicle Operator, and numerous hours of daily training and driving to drive one of them. It was an accident, and I dont think it was meant to happen, especially a day after St. Leonards accident!

I'm sure it was an accident.

I would want them to respond as quickly as possible if I needed them.

But, I saw a picture of the skid marks. They were hauling down a road that has a 40 mph speed limit. This accident could have been avoided if the driver had more time to react. Not sure what the speed was, but going by the marks he was traveling pretty fast.

I used to be a paramedic in the military. I drove the rigs with lights and sirens blazing. You have to be alert and even more aware of your surroundings when responding to calls just in case someone doesn't hear or see you coming...

poster

Do you volunteer? Do you put you life at risk for others? No?? then STFU....

I promise you wouldn't be whining if they were coming to or even from a call at your house.

First of all my complaint is with the return of equipment to the station, by all means if they're heading out - lights on - sirens on - they should be moving fast and we shouldn't be in their way, I have not complaints about that and think it's wonderful that there are people in this world who would do whatever it takes to help others.

However returning from a call, no lights, no siren - at NO time should they be moving faster than the posted limit. These trucks they're driving are heavy and can not stop when moving that fast.

I do not volunteer? I do not put my life at risk for others?
But I can tell you that those that do should know better than anyone else what kind of disaster speeding, no sirens, no lights would cause.

And I don't believe that those who do volunteer and risk their lives should believe themselves above the posted driving laws unless of course during the response of an emergency... so?? then STFU....

poster

I'm sorry... I am not a nasty person by any means, but seriously! Like you have NEVER in your life went over the speed limit... come on!
And as far as saying that it was a person that couldn't handle the vehicle... did you read where it says "A CIVILIAN VEHICLE PULLED OUT IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!". They wrecked because 2 vehicles wouldn't pull to the side and they had to drive down the left side of the road. They passed the first vehicle and the 2nd one made a left directly into the path of the Squad. What would you have done?? And don't say you would slow down or wouldn't have been driving that fast because when you hear that there is a patient not breathing and especially a CHILD, you want to get there as quickly as you can!!!
Some people just don't understand!!!!!!!

This response was in reference to St. Leonard not the Charles Co. incident.