Local Business Charlotte Hall- Do you want them to build apartments there???

fatratcat

If you want a restaurant and have a cool idea for one, go out and make happen. Don't expect someone else to always build what you want.

Not a big believer in the consumer economy, huh? I have money to spend and no where to spend it. Did you build the school you send your kids to? The 7-11 down the street?

fatratcat

To misquote Tonto, "What do you mean, 'we', white man?" Anyone can build anything, and they want to build a 48 unit apartment. Anyone else is free to build a restaurant.

No. They are not free to build a restaurant in CH because of sewer restrictions. Pay attention and stop chewing on your crayons! :) So, how is there sewer capacity for 48 apartments but not restaurants. Are we going to build that sewer capacity? If we are that changes things. I'll drop most of my objections. Just explain to me how that is possible?

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Not a big believer in the consumer economy, huh? I have money to spend and no where to spend it. Did you build the school you send your kids to? The 7-11 down the street?

Well, evidently the people who do build such things just hate you and dont want to make money. Only reasonable explanation. Or possibly they dont feel there are enough like you where you live to make money? Or perhaps it's a conspiracy?

vince77

Southern Maryland would seem to be the least attractive region in the metro area if you have plenty of cash to spend and want higher end amenities. Montgomery County or Fairfax/Loudoun County in Virginia provide more opportunity for an upscale lifestyle and amenities and they are already in place in those areas. Waiting to live the dream in CH seems like a losing proposition.

awpitt

Main Streeter

If you don't like what's available in your local area, either step up and build it or move somewhere that's more to your liking. Don't expect others to spend their money to please you.

fatratcat

Well, evidently the people who do build such things just hate you and dont want to make money. Only reasonable explanation. Or possibly they dont feel there are enough like you where you live to make money? Or perhaps it's a conspiracy?

Conspiracy much? Are you wearing high top sneakers, drinking kool aid, and waiting for the mother ship? Just checking... The question stands, "How is there enough sewer capacity to build 48 apartments, but not enough to support a restaurant?" Do me a favor, finish up that kool aid and let me know if you find the answer on the mother ship! :)

fatratcat

Southern Maryland would seem to be the least attractive region in the metro area if you have plenty of cash to spend and want higher end amenities. Montgomery County or Fairfax/Loudoun County in Virginia provide more opportunity for an upscale lifestyle and amenities and they are already in place in those areas. Waiting to live the dream in CH seems like a losing proposition.

You are definitely onto something...

fatratcat

If you don't like what's available in your local area, either step up and build it or move somewhere that's more to your liking. Don't expect others to spend their money to please you.

Let me Barney style this for you..."Even if I talked with my investor friends, we cannot build a restaurant without buying into a private sewer system because there is no public sewer. This means they who control the private sewer, control the development. That's called a monopoly. I hate monopolies. So does the law. Ask a phone company. I'll move when I'm damn good and ready. Not a minute sooner. Until then, I'll hold my position, despite opposition from carpet baggers that don't live anywhere near CH." Read slowly and sound out the big words... If it helps I'll dress up like a purple dinosaur and read it to you slowly in a kind voice.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Conspiracy much? Are you wearing high top sneakers, drinking kool aid, and waiting for the mother ship? Just checking... The question stands, "How is there enough sewer capacity to build 48 apartments, but not enough to support a restaurant?" Do me a favor, finish up that kool aid and let me know if you find the answer on the mother ship! :)

I thought I read where the parcel for the apartments was 134 acres. You can build a pretty crazy septic on that much land. Or are you saying that the govt is going to build capacity just for the apartments, but not enough for everyone else. You seem to have this notion that not restaurant can be built without public sewer, even though there are many great places to eat in the county that are not on public sewer. Face it, you demographics simply do not support the types of places you want. It's not sewer, it's money.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I thought I read where the parcel for the apartments was 134 acres. You can build a pretty crazy septic on that much land. Or are you saying that the govt is going to build capacity just for the apartments, but not enough for everyone else. You seem to have this notion that not restaurant can be built without public sewer, even though there are many great places to eat in the county that are not on public sewer. Face it, you demographics simply do not support the types of places you want. It's not sewer, it's money.

He (or she) wants, so the party with the funds must do that. I want Verizon to bring FiOS to my house. Does anyone think that's going to happen in the next 10 to 15 years?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

Whoever he talked to probably told him that to make him shut up. There are people who you'll tell anything to so they'll just STFU and go away.

officeguy

Whether existing restaurants are on septic systems has no bearing on the question whether one would be able to get a permit for one today. Even with a grease trap, commercial kitchen liquid waste is hard on septic systems. I dont know what requirements the county and MDE put on systems that would serve a restaurant if one was to apply today.

BernieP

Resident PIA
True, but as you say, you dont know, I'll bet that FCRT doesn't either.

BTW, I believe garbage disposals are contraindicated on a septic system, and regulations have changed, so what other establishments have done may simply be grandfathered in. But that's not here nor there. It's not the government's job to put sewer service in because he wants a restaurant - other than fast food. Nor should the government regulate the businesses that come in other than that they meet code. If there are N acres and the code says that the density is X units per acre, if the developer wishes to build condos and leave the rest open it is their business decision, not open for community approval.

officeguy

Well, whether he can build condos also depends on the zoning. If the parcel is included in the Town Center, he probably can get the right zoning for the higher density.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Well, whether he can build condos also depends on the zoning. If the parcel is included in the Town Center, he probably can get the right zoning for the higher density.
I'm not totally familiar with zoning laws here, but in most areas there are two factors, single detached homes (only) and the number of units per acre.
Unless it's restricted to single family, detached dwellings, the owner would be allowed to build townhomes, condos, apartments, duplexes, etc. as long as the number of units stayed within code. Actually some would argue that so called high density housing would be better for the environment, you restrict the footprint of the units and impervious surface to a smaller area than if the development were single family detached units.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I'm not totally familiar with zoning laws here, but in most areas there are two factors, single detached homes (only) and the number of units per acre.
Unless it's restricted to single family, detached dwellings, the owner would be allowed to build townhomes, condos, apartments, duplexes, etc. as long as the number of units stayed within code. Actually some would argue that so called high density housing would be better for the environment, you restrict the footprint of the units and impervious surface to a smaller area than if the development were single family detached units.

That's the whole idea coming down from the State, build high density in the Town Centers and give out rewards to do so for all the reasons you listed plus a couple more.

Build single family houses on large lots outside the TV and get punished for contributing to sprawl.

North Beach just went through a comprehensive rezoning and one version was to jam apartments into what is a single family zoned area (by the way, doing that usually decreases property values). It was not adopted because someone sat down and ran the numbers and discovered that just under 40% of the current housing stock in town consists of apartments/condos, townhouses and duplexes, most of which are rentals. Which is way above what most small towns have and makes mortgage brokers raise their eyebrows when processing mortgage applications.