Charlotte Hall High Density Housing?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Wow this may be the demise of our area. Go up to waldorf and look around and figure that's what our area will be in 5-10 years.
What type of clientele will be attracted to lower cost apartments. Probably not the type id want living in my neighborhood. Call me racist or stereotypical, I would just say
I'm honest.

Okay. If the shoe fits.....

The article clearly states that's it's not going to be section 8, etc. Even so, not everyone can live in a McMansion like you. There is a need for affordable housing for working folks.

Clem72

Okay. If the shoe fits.....

The article clearly states that's it's not going to be section 8, etc. Even so, not everyone can live in a McMansion like you. There is a need for affordable housing for working folks.

You don't need to be section 8 to be low-rent apartments. Several of the apartment complexes in Lexington Park will not allow you to live there if you make over a certain amount of money. I'm not sure what kind of kick back they get (tax cuts, allowed to build other projects, etc.) but they are very directly targeted at low income without being section 8.

glhs837

Power with Control
What they get for kickbacks is permission to build higher end, larger profit margin single family homes. Part of the whole mixed socioeceonomic classes thing. Put the low rent places in close proximity to the single family McMansions and the plebes (or more properly their kids) will see fruits of being a good student on display every day and make friends with the kids of those successful parents, and be motivated to work harder to earn those things.

You can see the results in Riverbay and Westbury.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
What they get for kickbacks is permission to build higher end, larger profit margin single family homes. Part of the whole mixed socioeceonomic classes thing. Put the low rent places in close proximity to the single family McMansions and the plebes (or more properly their kids) will see fruits of being a good student on display every day and make friends with the kids of those successful parents, and be motivated to work harder to earn those things.

You can see the results in Riverbay and Westbury.

That's driven at the State level, do a mix of housing and, when the County puts in requests for funding for schools, roads, sewer and water capacity, the approvals are easier.

Workforce or affordable housing, especially affordable, are the new names for subsidized housing. Section 8 had too negative a connotation.

Having said that, there is a need for housing that people who aren't federal employees or government contractors can afford. Don't be fooled by the relatively high median family incomes in Southern Maryland, that's skewed by a relatively few high income/wealth people.

fatratcat

Race to the bottom much? Why isn't the case for high end housing being made? Instead, the focus here is on the bottom. I just say invert the argument. I'm for high end housing and nice retail.