Checking blood sugar

Pooh31

My 10 year old has to check her blood sugar and its a pain in the rear to get her to do it. She does not like to stick herself because it hurts her, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it done and over really quick?

aosmiles

Does she prick her fingers? I have had to do this during pregnancy-4 times a day. After awhile, your fingers get used to it and it quits hurting. I would rather do it myself than have someone else do it. Maybe you can give her a choice-you do it or she does it (when she is not in school). She has to understand how important it is that she does it and what could happen to her if she does not. Of course, a lot kids don't worry about the "what ifs" of doing things. Offer to help her, tell her why she has to do it, and maybe reward her for a time for doing it-encouragement and praise. She is still pretty young, but this is something to help her live healthily.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
Pooh31 said:
My 10 year old has to check her blood sugar and its a pain in the rear to get her to do it. She does not like to stick herself because it hurts her, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it done and over really quick?

How long ?

sockgirl77

I'm diabetic. I prick the corners of my fingers near the nails rather than the tender spot that most people do. I check it five times a day and I am still able to post in here too much. Also, most of the new systems require less blood so the needle does not need to go down as far. :yay:

unixpirate

Pitty Party
sockgirl77 said:
I'm diabetic. I prick the corners of my fingers near the nails rather than the tender spot that most people do. I check it five times a day and I am still able to post in here too much. Also, most of the new systems require less blood so the needle does not need to go down as far. :yay:

I got a close friend I play ball with. He's has one of those automatic pumps that is attached to his stomach. It's set to inject the proper insulin needed every 4 hours. He does check his sugar level here and their to up or down the injection amount if needed.
The days of manual injections is over. :hello?:

I was just tested for diabetes. The normal level is 100. I'm at 116. Doc said don't gain weight. "whateva".. :lol: haven't. Don't drink soda and I don't. Don't eat sweets. Unless she lets me. :popcorn:
Don't eat Pasta. No sex.. No drinking.. :dead: :lmao:

sockgirl77

unixpirate said:
I got a close friend I play ball with. He's has one of those automatic pumps that is attached to his stomach. It's set to inject the proper insulin needed every 4 hours. He does check his sugar level here and their to up or down the injection amount if needed.
The days of manual injections is over. :hello?:

I was just tested for diabetes. The normal level is 100. I'm at 116. Doc said don't gain weight. "whateva".. :lol: haven't. Don't drink soda and I don't. Don't eat sweets. Unless she lets me. :popcorn:
Don't eat Pasta. No sex.. No drinking.. :dead: :lmao:
My normal range is from 80-120. As far as not eating sweet, drinking sodas, and eating pasta, the liquor or beer that you drink is deadly for diabetics. Your sugar level will sky rocket when you drink. So, as long as you are drinking, you may as well shove a twinkie in your mouth before you guzzle a Dew after a meal of spaghetti. :yay:

Oh, and who is she? I was not aware that you had a "she". :shrug:

unixpirate

Pitty Party
sockgirl77 said:
My normal range is from 80-120. As far as not eating sweet, drinking sodas, and eating pasta, the liquor or beer that you drink is deadly for diabetics. Your sugar level will sky rocket when you drink. So, as long as you are drinking, you may as well shove a twinkie in your mouth before you guzzle a Dew after a meal of spaghetti. :yay:

Oh, and who is she? I was not aware that you had a "she". :shrug:

That's not bad. Your young. Do you drink sodas?

I know liguor has a high content of sugar.

Don't drink soda, never have, and HATE skettie.

Don't shove twinkies, but we can talk :shrug:

:lmao:

sockgirl77

unixpirate said:
That's not bad. Your young. Do you drink sodas?

I know liguor has a high content of sugar.

Don't drink soda, never have, and HATE skettie.

Don't shove twinkies, but we can talk :shrug:

:lmao:
I love how you avoided my question. :smack:

I do drink sodas occasionally. I drink Cherry Coke Zero and such. But I only drink one per week. I'm more of a flavored water girl.

Toxick

Splat
Pooh31 said:

They have lancets which are designed to poke the arm or other less sensitive flattish areas of the body that are not fingertips. Those don't hurt at all.

I can't use them because my hide is apparently too thick. I keep trying but I can never squeeze enough blood out unless I zap my fingertips. My wife has tried it a couple of times just to check and she starts gushing like we hit an artery - so the lancets work well ... unless your skin is tough and durable. I don't think a little girl will have the same kind of trouble as me.

When I do poke my fingertips though, I use the sides of my fingers, instead of on the pads. I type all day long, so I can't be mucking up the goods. I find that it hurts less, but, if you have an adjustable lancet, always check and make sure it's on the least setting to draw blood. I poked myself the other day without checking the gauge, and it felt like a harpoon went through my finger. I had accidentally bumped the gauge to max.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
The fingertips contain more nerve endings than any other part of your body so avoid them. I don't know much about them but my MIL also does the side of her finger. Can you try numbing it with an ice cube first or will that mess up the reading?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pooh31 said:
I'm trying to remember where I've been in the last week.. but I remember having to wait for someone behind a counter that was waiting on me because they were testing their blood sugar.

She had a small "machine" that she held to the palm of her hand.. it pricked her (I assume) and tested at the same time and not on her finger tips. the machine was about the size of a fold up cell-phone when folded..

Damn if I can remember where I was at the time.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I remember where I was..

At the Ridge Fair, someone working the ice cream counter..

I was trying to order and someone took over for her while she was testing her blood sugar.

SoMDGirl42

Toxick said:
They have lancets which are designed to poke the arm or other less sensitive flattish areas of the body that are not fingertips. Those don't hurt at all.

I can't use them because my hide is apparently too thick. I keep trying but I can never squeeze enough blood out unless I zap my fingertips. My wife has tried it a couple of times just to check and she starts gushing like we hit an artery - so the lancets work well ... unless your skin is tough and durable. I don't think a little girl will have the same kind of trouble as me.

When I do poke my fingertips though, I use the sides of my fingers, instead of on the pads. I type all day long, so I can't be mucking up the goods. I find that it hurts less, but, if you have an adjustable lancet, always check and make sure it's on the least setting to draw blood. I poked myself the other day without checking the gauge, and it felt like a harpoon went through my finger. I had accidentally bumped the gauge to max.
:yay: I'm diabetic and my skin isn't as thick as toxick. I use the top of my arms, I can't feel the pricks. Much less painful, I HATE pricking my finger, I would rather someone cut off a limb.

Pooh31

Thank you for all your suggestions. She has had the test for diabeties and the doctor told us to keep a track of her blood sugar. She will cry like there is no tomorrow when she has to stick herself (yes I let her do it with me watching) once she is done she is fine. I swear she screams like someone is killing her when I tell her it is time.