Cheltenham Hay Auction

Cowgirl

The difference I see in PA hay and MD hay is not in the soils. It is in the curing and fertilizing. In fact, most soil is depleted in both areas so fertilizer is frequenly used both in MD and PA to add nutrients to the soil to produce a better crop. We do have some great growers in MD who produce fantastic hay.

Also, a large amount of hay at the auction does, in fact, come from PA. There are all types. I don't particulary care "where" hay comes from. I look at the quality (smell, color, seedheads).

Yep. Location isn't so much the issue. Two farmers can cut half of the same field and end up with totally different hays depending on how they treat it.

S

Sunkist

Sorry Sunkist, I forgot to answer the second part of your question. The alfalfa bales actually looked good. Nice and green and with a good smell. Sometimes they have crap too; however, these were pretty nice.

Thank you! I need to get some alfalfa bales for my gelding. They didnt prepare him for winter so I need get to get some fat on him quick

mingiz

Horse Poor
I just paid 650 a bale for orchard grass at Stauffers feed mill. 65 lb bales but I hope the inside looks better than the outside. Brown !!!! looks more like low end county hay than nice orchard grass..I haven't' busted them open yet. I will know tomorrow...

Cowgirl

I just paid 650 a bale for orchard grass at Stauffers feed mill. 65 lb bales but I hope the inside looks better than the outside. Brown !!!! looks more like low end county hay than nice orchard grass..I haven't' busted them open yet. I will know tomorrow...

They're probably just faded. I bought some nice OG/Alfalfa square bales for $3 each (I had connections :lol:) and when I first saw it I didn't want it. Then I opened a bale....it's nice stuff! Hope yours is too. :lol:

fredsaid2

Let us know Mingiz! Sounds like it might be just as easy to buy at the Henyard for the price.

spellbound

Every time I go to Stauffer Feed Mill and ask for the lowest price grass hay, it looks as you described, and my horses don't seem to like it very much.