CiVista Med. ctr. DO NOT GO!!!!!

rdkarob

Last night my Mother in Law was at the emergency room in LaPlata. Yes it was very crowded and it took a while for them to “take her back” in the meantime an older gentlemen went to the nurses station to request a stretcher, unfortunately nothing was available but this guy looked bad, real bad. He kindof raised his voice and the nurses call the rent a cops to calm him, they proceeded to tell him there were not stretchers and he could lay on the FLOOR!!!!! And if he caused anymore problems he would have to leave. 2 hours later this guy passed out in his chair (still in the emergency room) the nurses got him to come to and plopped him back in his chair. I will never go there!!!!!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
There's a reason people are not immediately taken into triage/ER. Apparently the guy was well enough to wait it out, no? :shrug:

rdkarob

Chasey_Lane said:
There's a reason people are not immediately taken into triage/ER. Apparently the guy was well enough to wait it out, no? :shrug:

Apparently not....he passed out in his chair..... :smack:

Chasey_Lane said:
He passed out cold, Chasey... I'd say he wasn't all that well... :eyebrow:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Is that area still under renovation? My dad was sent there one time and I had to be his nurse/doctor/advocate for hours.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
kwillia said:
He passed out cold, Chasey... I'd say he wasn't all that well... :eyebrow:
I saw that part. I'm saying he probably looked well enough to the nurses on staff...maybe they thought he had the flu or something. :shrug:

rdkarob

bresamil said:
Is that area still under renovation? My dad was sent there one time and I had to be his nurse/doctor/advocate for hours.

It still just totally amazes me....he passed out...and I am sorry, it was not the nurses who sat him up in the chair, it was the receptionist behind the check in.....

P.S....the doctors and nurses arent doing the renovation. I have had nothing but bad experiences there.....St Mary's or Calvert from now on for me. :howdy:

Nanny Pam

Is it possible that he was a "repeat offender?"
Maybe he gets drunk all the time and ends up in the ER.
Or maybe he dopes himself up and goes to the ER.

According to the sounds of your story...it sounds like they know him.
:shrug:
Just a thought.

USNavyMike

rdkarob said:
Last night my Mother in Law was at the emergency room in LaPlata. Yes it was very crowded and it took a while for them to “take her back” in the meantime an older gentlemen went to the nurses station to request a stretcher, unfortunately nothing was available but this guy looked bad, real bad. He kindof raised his voice and the nurses call the rent a cops to calm him, they proceeded to tell him there were not stretchers and he could lay on the FLOOR!!!!! And if he caused anymore problems he would have to leave. 2 hours later this guy passed out in his chair (still in the emergency room) the nurses got him to come to and plopped him back in his chair. I will never go there!!!!!

Everyone knows, if you want to be seen quickly, call 911 for EMS, we have taken people for some issue's that made no sence what so ever!

D

dems4me

I think they just stink entirely. My grandmother passed away from invasive breastcancer, my mother gets benighn lumps, and as some of y'all know my mother's sister passed away last February from invasive breast cancer (all live in VA, I'm not blaming Civista for that). So its definately on my mom's side of the family and my dr. wanted me to get a mammogram when I was 30. He gives me a px to get the test done.

I called Civista to set up my mammogram. I take off of work to get this done and show up only to have them tell me, they assumed given my age that I was just there for the screening and they'd set me up for a screening. :faint: Their mammogram taker is gone for the day, I'd have to reschedule. I argued with them that I'd taken a day off of work for this test and CLEARLY told the lady on the phone I was to get a mammogram. So they take my perscription thing and tell me they will hold on to it for my next appointment and then made me a copy of it. :crazy:

I take off another day of work to get this done. I show up and explain I have a mammogram appointment and that they have my px. They have me scheudled but they don't have my PX for one and explain I'd need that for the test or they couldn't just give me one. I explain they took it last visit and gave me a copy. She ended up calling my dr. he faxed her a px order an it wasn't good enough. They needed an original. Again, denied a mammogram :rolleyes:

Take off another day so I can visit doctor and get ANOTHER ORIGINAL px for a mammogram (meanwhile about 3 months have gone by inbetween these attempts) (and I've eaten 3 vacation days on this). :cussing: I pick it up and then scheudle another mammogram and this time on the phone I hear her asking my age and asking me am I sure its for a mammogram, that the dr. probably just wanted me to get a "screening". :burning:

I show up and FINALLY get the freakn' mammogram (four vacation days taken out of my leave for one freakn' mammogram not to mention its now a 6 month time frame from when dr. told me I should get one). I was really upset, not the fact that I was worried I had cancer or anything but more so upset in the fact that they stress early detection is key and media stresses to get mammograms and here its taken 6 months due to their incompetencies to get one freakn' mammogram. After that experience, I said never again and waited about 6 years until I ever considered getting another one done (at Calvert this time)... they requested I get my last Mammograms from Civista to compare them to. I told them... just start over, I dont' EVER want to deal with Civista again, pretend I'd never had any taken before.

OldHillcrestGuy

bresamil said:

No its finished and what a lousy job they did, they certainly didnot go around the area and look to see how a ER should be designed, all 3 area hospitals (St. Marys, So Maryland and Calvert) have all remodeled, with Calvert doing the best job, excellent designed ER, you can see all the rooms from the nurses stations, Civista have hallways and corners everywhere.
Civista is always on yellow, in EMS terms unable to except any patients from the Rescue Squads prefer you go to another hospital or on red which means unable to handle any patients that may need to go on monitors, (chest pains, trouble breathing type calls). That does not stop someone who walks in they will be seen maybe in a couple of hours
Their ER is a disaster, most of the times even when a ambulance arrives crews have a long wait to get the patient from the stretcher to a examning room.
The person that was in the ER last night might have been a frequent flyer and was well known to the staff, you wouldnt believe the number of people who call 911 for :bs: calls and are taken to the ER by ambulance and once there are put out in triage .

Coventry17

I fell and hurt my back in November 2004. I woke up the next morning and it literally took me 45 minutes to get out of bed and get to the phone. I called the Emergency Room at Civista, told them what was going on and asked them whether or not I should come in. I didn't want to waste their time if there was nothing they could do for me. The person on the phone was very rude and said that he couldn't give me medical advice on the phone. So I drove to Civista, hobbled into the emergency room and waited. To their credit, I was seen in about half an hour. They took no x-rays, but they DID do a urinalysis??? I was prescribed muscle relaxers and Percs. I was active duty at the time, so Tricare is on the hook for the bill. Six months later, I'm out of the Navy and I get a collection notice from Civista. Understand, I have not received a bill and had given them my Tricare account number (which is the same as your SSN). The bill was for about $250. To avoid any credit damage, I paid the $250. Ok, we're square, right? WRONG! Last year, when I was refinancing my house, my credit report revealed a $250 judgement against me. So.... to expedite matters, the mortgage company cut ANOTHER $250 check! About a month after closing on my refinance, Tricare sent me a statement that showed they had paid the bill originally back in 2004. Civista had received the payment within a month of seeing me initially. About 2 weeks later, I received a check for $250 from my mortgage company. Civista never cashed the check from them, so they just refunded me. So when all the dust cleared, Civista was paid twice for my emergency room visit.

USNavyMike

dems4me said:
I think they just stink entirely. My grandmother passed away from invasive breastcancer, my mother gets benighn lumps, and as some of y'all know my mother's sister passed away last February from invasive breast cancer (all live in VA, I'm not blaming Civista for that). So its definately on my mom's side of the family and my dr. wanted me to get a mammogram when I was 30. He gives me a px to get the test done.

I called Civista to set up my mammogram. I take off of work to get this done and show up only to have them tell me, they assumed given my age that I was just there for the screening and they'd set me up for a screening. :faint: Their mammogram taker is gone for the day, I'd have to reschedule. I argued with them that I'd taken a day off of work for this test and CLEARLY told the lady on the phone I was to get a mammogram. So they take my perscription thing and tell me they will hold on to it for my next appointment and then made me a copy of it. :crazy:

I take off another day of work to get this done. I show up and explain I have a mammogram appointment and that they have my px. They have me scheudled but they don't have my PX for one and explain I'd need that for the test or they couldn't just give me one. I explain they took it last visit and gave me a copy. She ended up calling my dr. he faxed her a px order an it wasn't good enough. They needed an original. Again, denied a mammogram :rolleyes:

Take off another day so I can visit doctor and get ANOTHER ORIGINAL px for a mammogram (meanwhile about 3 months have gone by inbetween these attempts) (and I've eaten 3 vacation days on this). :cussing: I pick it up and then scheudle another mammogram and this time on the phone I hear her asking my age and asking me am I sure its for a mammogram, that the dr. probably just wanted me to get a "screening". :burning:

I show up and FINALLY get the freakn' mammogram (four vacation days taken out of my leave for one freakn' mammogram not to mention its now a 6 month time frame from when dr. told me I should get one). I was really upset, not the fact that I was worried I had cancer or anything but more so upset in the fact that they stress early detection is key and media stresses to get mammograms and here its taken 6 months due to their incompetencies to get one freakn' mammogram. After that experience, I said never again and waited about 6 years until I ever considered getting another one done (at Calvert this time)... they requested I get my last Mammograms from Civista to compare them to. I told them... just start over, I dont' EVER want to deal with Civista again, pretend I'd never had any taken before.

<-------------------- Free mamograms :drool:

Not to make light of this topic, it quite frankly scrare's the sh*t out of me. I praise the work which researchers are making in getting a leash on Cancers of all sorts while at the same time they have a long way to go. I have loss several family members from this awful disease.

My mom has been there several times when she was having problems with high blood pressure. They took very good care of her.

I was born there long ago. :blushing:

Toxick

Splat
I went there one time because I had a spear through my head.

It took me an hour and 45 minutes just to get through the front door, while the triage nurses laughed and laughed.

Although they may have been laughing because I was wearning my Kiss Me I'm Irish boxers and my helmet was peeking out.

When I did finally get in, it took a full 7 hours to get seen by anyone, and I kept knocking things over everytime I looked around. They told me that if I didn't stop knocking things down, that I was going to have to leave.

OldHillcrestGuy

Speedy70 said:
My mom has been there several times when she was having problems with high blood pressure. They took very good care of her.

I was born there long ago. :blushing:

Yeah loooooong ago. :razz:

Im surprised she didnot go to Calvert. :yay: being a Calvert girl.

I use to sware by Civista, but in last 5 years or so its been :boo:

Toxick said:
I went there one time because I had a spear through my head.

It took me an hour and 45 minutes just to get through the front door, while the triage nurses laughed and laughed.

Although they may have been laughing because I was wearning my Kiss Me I'm Irish boxers and my helmet was peeking out.

When I did finally get in, it took a full 7 hours to get seen by anyone, and I kept knocking things over everytime I looked around. They told me that if I didn't stop knocking things down, that I was going to have to leave.
:lmao:

D

dems4me

USNavyMike said:
<-------------------- Free mamograms :drool:

Not to make light of this topic, it quite frankly scrare's the sh*t out of me. I praise the work which researchers are making in getting a leash on Cancers of all sorts while at the same time they have a long way to go. I have loss several family members from this awful disease.

Yeah... I was in tears each rejection I got. I'd leave thinking, its a good thing this is just a start up of routine mammograms... but I felt sooo sad for those that would have to go throuh this that were having signs or symptoms. I couldn't believe it. Everywhere you hear to get it checked out and to not wait. I'd seen first hand my grandmother die from this as a kid and have peice by peice by peice of her removed as cancer was spreading... she was down to a quarter of a lung and in her brain but still fighting. She succumbed when it hit her liver. She was only 60 but waited to long to get it mammogramed and checked out. By the time she did it was the size of a golf ball. :frown:

So here I am being diligent and I kept getting brushed off for 6 months, I was soo upset driving home I had to pull over. :bawl: Its just not right they treat people like that and I was just there for a routine mammogram. :bawl: It discouraged me ENTIRELY from ever trying to get one again... they really made me feel like a second rate citizen and that I didn't deserve to get one or something. :frown: I confirmed with my obgyn and she said my dr. was correct to start me on those at the age of 30... and I shoudl have been getting them once a year since I was 30... It was a really bad experience, emotionally and physicall in terms of having to wait 6 months and burn 4 days of leave from work for this. The experience left a bad taste in my mouth and I vowed I'd NEVER go back for another one after all that - ever. Its a personal enough ordeal let alone having to keep going through all they made me go through. Luckily after about 6 years I was able to put it behind me and get another one done.

Old Dog

Has the St. Mary's ER improved? 5 years ago on Thanksgiving we took my stepdaughter there due to pains in the lower right side of her abdomen, fever, not being able to keep anything down. We told them all her symptoms. They had to try several times just to draw blood and get an IV into her. They pumped 1/2 liter of fluid into, had her pee into a cup, took and X-ray and then sent us home calling it gastritis and told us to alternate Tylenol and Advil for the pain. To be fair her dippy doctor (whom we never used after that) said the exact same thing the next day.

By the following Tuesday we were back at her doc's (different doc) who sent us immediately to Civista where a CT scan revealed that her appendix was as big as a man's fist and the surgeon said it might have affected her bowel and colon. It was so dripping with infection when they removed it they had to leave the incision open for several days.

So, for our money, currently we'd pick Civista over St. Mary's.