Traffic Rant Clements traffic circle

glhs837

Power with Control
:lol The aerial images are new, but when you zoom in close enough it switches to the street view images - which are pre-circle construction.

The median and curbing around the circle itself are not much of a barrier, for a car. For a truck they are barely a bump in the road.
He could have swerved slightly to go through the circle, which may have caused him to lose control at the rate of speed he was traveling.

I think we need one of our local forum afilliates to head over there and take some pics of the circle...... I woud but its a busy day out here in the forest.

OldHillcrestGuy

No brake lights until the last second. I'm thinking the guy was asleep and got a very abrupt awakening.

I agree with you, 6am in the morning who knows how long he may have been driving, probably nodded off and then once he hit that traffic circle and went flying through it that probably woke him up, but it was too late by then. Then again he was a old like guy like me it could have been a medical problem. It was terrible that he hit that house at such a speed and a miracle no one was killed, imagine what would have happened if he had crossed over into the other lane on Budds Creek Rd and hit someone headon or T boned a car in the circle.

Thought about a possible med issue, and I'm hopeful that wasn't the case and he's ok. But I'm also thinking if it was a med issue bad enough that he drove thru the circle like that, chances are he never would have used the brakes at all.

Also appears that was one of the trailers used for hauling refuse to/from the transfer station. Hope it didn't stink too bad.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I came through there a little while ago. It looks as though he also hit the dirt in the middle of the circle, then the curbs at the gas station. It is amazing that the house is still standing and no one was killed. :yikes:

BernieP

Resident PIA
I came through there a little while ago. It looks as though he also hit the dirt in the middle of the circle, then the curbs at the gas station. It is amazing that the house is still standing and no one was killed. :yikes:

Well the circle did it's job, it slowed him down.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Ya notice the brake lights didn't come on until almost point of impact?

They came on twice. I'm thinking they were applied more than that before hitting the circle. But after hitting the circle curb was so violent with the cab bouncing up and down and side to side, that the driver lost his footing on the brake pedal. My guess is that he didn't see the signs or knew the circle was there. Maybe the last time he came through there was no circle or circle construction? But that wouldn't account for the 4-way stop before now would it? So I'm going with going with the hitting the curb for no brakes.

John Z

if you will
I know this is "age-ist", but maybe when you reach the age of 70, no more driving 18-wheeler big rigs.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I know this is "age-ist", but maybe when you reach the age of 70, no more driving 18-wheeler big rigs.

Drivers are required to obtain a new medical certificate every two years, or every one year if certain medical conditions are known to exist.

glhs837

Power with Control
Drivers are required to obtain a new medical certificate every two years, or every one year if certain medical conditions are known to exist.

Used to have to get a new explosive driver physical every few years. Which basically boiled down to "Has a pulse and can remember his name". Nothing remotely like a flight pusical, even the annual short form. And LR, if he applied the brakes at all prior to hitting the circle, I cant see how he would have carried that much speed through it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Used to have to get a new explosive driver physical every few years. Which basically boiled down to "Has a pulse and can remember his name". Nothing remotely like a flight pusical, even the annual short form.

Since I carry a CDL, I have to get the DOT physical every two years. It's reasonably thorough, I guess (eye exam, hearing test, blood pressure, health questionaire, etc), although I am surprised it does not include any blood testing; just a urine test. No stress testing to check heart response either.