Clipping Wings?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I have four different type perches in his cages that are supposed to help keep his talons trimmed and I have some "lava" looking things and some other things that are supposed to keep his beak trimmed. I read that most birds won't require their beaks to be trimmed unless it's sick or has other issues. If his toe nails need trimmed, I'll have them done when he's ready for his wings.

Thanks for the advice. We are new to the bird world. I'm currently reading three different books on birds :lol: It's great reading for the 7 year old. She puts the bird on his playgym and sits and reads him books every night. He nibbles on his lava rock while she reads, then feeds him his fresh green parsley and cheerio snack. They are bonding well together.

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of bird do you have? Welcome to the wonderful world of birds . They are great pets.

Roman

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of bird do you have? Welcome to the wonderful world of birds . They are great pets.
I know that you directed your question to Somdgirl42, but I have an Amazon Parrot (Perdue), and a Macaw (Macauley). They are such good Pets. Mac is 23 now, and Perdue just turned 26. I've had both since they were Hatchlings

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I know that you directed your question to Somdgirl42, but I have an Amazon Parrot (Perdue), and a Macaw (Macauley). They are such good Pets. Mac is 23 now, and Perdue just turned 26. I've had both since they were Hatchlings

That is dedication. Kudos to you! :yay:

PrepH4U

Are they nice? I swear my grey is taking forever to be nice. So many marks and scabs from her biting. Lil biatch! lol But she is a great talker and is very funny. She will bite me and yell ow or laugh. She is just turning 3.

Roman

Are they nice? I swear my grey is taking forever to be nice. So many marks and scabs from her biting. Lil biatch! lol But she is a great talker and is very funny. She will bite me and yell ow or laugh. She is just turning 3.
Mine are nice, but that's because they were hand raised I guess. Get your Grey away from it's cage, and then see what happens. Many Birds are cage- aggressive, but once out, and away from it, they are pretty good. Handling them often can tame them out nicely.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I did, and thanks for telling me what you have. I have no plans of ever having a bird again. I don't have enough life left.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

How old was she when you got her. I know if they're paired, they become aggressive, but I don't know if that changes if you unpair them. Do you know if she was a breeder?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Mine are nice, but that's because they were hand raised I guess. Get your Grey away from it's cage, and then see what happens. Many Birds are cage- aggressive, but once out, and away from it, they are pretty good. Handling them often can tame them out nicely.

We caught a cherry head in the back yard in FL. You could tell he was once a pet, but he was a biter. Had to use heavy duty leather gloves with him for a few weeks. Even after that he would bite occasionally, and he preferred the company of men, so he became my husbands baby. I've never been able to find a pic of a prettier cherry head. He was beautiful.

My other two birds were a nandy, and a Quaker.

I would love to get my hands on a hyacinth, but I'm too old to take on another bird with a long lifespan.

Roman

How old was she when you got her. I know if they're paired, they become aggressive, but I don't know if that changes if you unpair them. Do you know if she was a breeder?
Her grey would be too young to be a breeder, but that is a good question. I had a Nanday Conure too. He was old when I got him, but wow..was he ever a squaker!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Her grey would be too young to be a breeder, but that is a good question. I had a Nanday Conure too. He was old when I got him, but wow..was he ever a squaker!

I know all about squakers. When we lived in WPB, we moved into a house near the water, and our neighbors had a big privacy fence, but we knew they had birds...they woke us up every morning.

When we finally met the neighbors, they introduced us to their birds. Actually, they were her birds. She had 200, and kept most of them outside. So, you can imagine what our mornings sounded like.

When they split up, she had to move into an apartment, and needed help with her birds. Bill and I volunteered our back yard, since she was going to be in an apartment nearby, and it would be convenient for her to take care of them.

At some point, she gave us a young Nanday, then we acquired the Quaker, but I don't remember how. Pam eventually found another place to keep most of her birds, especially the larger of the bunch, and I ended up with only about a dozen of the smaller parrots and a pair of grass parakeets in the back yard.

The caged birds always attracted the parrots that had been released, because someone decided they didn't want the burden, or had escaped because their wings hadn't been clipped. That's about the time I noticed the Cherry Head pokin' around and sitting on the cages. He showed up at least once a day. So, I set a trap, and that's how we acquired the Cherry Head.

When our daughter came along, we no longer had the time, or the finances. I know, we've all heard the story, and berate those who do this, but it was best for the birds. They MUST have that social interaction. So, we re-homed them.

Anyway, that's my bird story.

PrepH4U

I take her out daily and try to interact with her by singing and talking to her. She loves to be scratched on her head. I guess I should try and move her gym and tree to another room. Both are on wheels. Thanks!

She was two when I got her. I am not sure she even is a girl! :lol: Before I got her I made sure both girls were in agreement to take her after I am gone. She is a lot of company though. The only time she isn't talking is when she is sleeping! :lol:

SoMDGirl42

"he" is a Cockatiel. His name is Marley. I got him from a lady in VA who was moving from VA to the West Coast (CA) and didn't want to have to drive cross country with him. Mini-me really wanted a parrot (macaw), but she is better off with a smaller bird. I don't want her to loose a finger or anything.

She got him last Christmas time, he was a baby when she got him. She spoiled him rotten and gave him lots and lots of attention because he was her "baby". I like to call him a dog bird because the minute you get near him he drops his head and wants you to scratch him. He is without a doubt the sweetest bird I've ever been around. He's pretty quiet and sings mostly at night time when we get home. He's not very loud at all. I have been putting a towel on the kitchen table and sitting him up on his playgym while mini me sits at the table doing her homework. She is enjoying reading to him every night for 20 minutes :killingme At this rate, the bird will be reading at a 1st grade level in no time.
That's the thing with most parrots. Fortunately, there is no need to know unless you're going to give her a friend, or breed.

I was told I could take "him" to a vet and have a DNA test done to determine if "he" is a boy or a girl. It's very expensive. As far as I'm concerned, "he" is a boy :coffee:
Meet Marley!

Attachments

• Marley bird.jpg
    Marley bird.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 292

mAlice

professional daydreamer
"he" is a Cockatiel. His name is Marley. I got him from a lady in VA who was moving from VA to the West Coast (CA) and didn't want to have to drive cross country with him. Mini-me really wanted a parrot (macaw), but she is better off with a smaller bird. I don't want her to loose a finger or anything.

She got him last Christmas time, he was a baby when she got him. She spoiled him rotten and gave him lots and lots of attention because he was her "baby". I like to call him a dog bird because the minute you get near him he drops his head and wants you to scratch him. He is without a doubt the sweetest bird I've ever been around. He's pretty quiet and sings mostly at night time when we get home. He's not very loud at all. I have been putting a towel on the kitchen table and sitting him up on his playgym while mini me sits at the table doing her homework. She is enjoying reading to him every night for 20 minutes :killingme At this rate, the bird will be reading at a 1st grade level in no time.

I was told I could take "him" to a vet and have a DNA test done to determine if "he" is a boy or a girl. It's very expensive. As far as I'm concerned, "he" is a boy :coffee:
Meet Marley!

Cute.

cockatiel.com Is My Cockatiel Male or Female?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Place a mirror in front of your cockatiel. How does it react?
Normally a male will be fascinated and the mirror should hold his attention for quite some time while he performs in front of it. A female tends to lose interest fairly quickly.

LOL Typical.

Roman

Meet Marley!
I used to raise Cockatiels. The females have a different whistle than the males. It's hard to tell by the color of Marley's orange cheeks in the picture you took, but if the orange is bright, he is most likey a Male, if it is a dull orange, it's probably Female. I can definitely tell by the whistle, what sex they are when I hear it. Marley is very cute!

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
We have a couple of Conure Parrots... we used the All Kinds vet for wing clipping and he is really great with both birds. Fiona is 5 and Izzy will be 3 (next week in fact). We acquired them both from Petco. Fiona did excape one time outside. Hours later I found her outside beat up by a big black bird (Crackle I think). Ever since, she hates to be touched and can be agressive. But she has her moments. Sometimes she'll fly down on me and explore... going up into my pant legs, etc. Then she'll eventually come up and place her head against my chin and nearly fall asleep. So she does still have some loving in her. Izzy, the younger one is mommies baby. When we acquired Izzy we thought everything was fine. One day he sat on my arm chair and was swaying. His eyes were barely open... Mommy rushed him to All Kinds vet and found... he was basically starving himself... from the trauma of finding a home with another parrot, he was also too young hatchling to be sold. In fact All Kinds vet scolded Petco for allowing him to be sold so young. Mommy had to cradle and feed him with a syringe for weeks. He luckily survived and he is quite a little pistol. But unlike anyone else, he's mommy's baby. She can cradle him against her chest and he'll nearly fall asleep, I suppose knowing he's in Mommy's arms. He might allow me to pet him.. I cross the line, I get the beaky attack... lol.

If you ever get a chance to acquire or watch the Parrots of Telegraph hill. Awesome documentary about the wild parrots... it can be very sad for some weaklings out there. I get tears thinking about his story of his cripled parrot Tupelo.... you parrot owners much watch this!

The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok.. thanks for reading our parrot story.. and the vet at All Kinds is highly recommended.

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
Here is our baby Izzy (he's 3 yrs old next week) eating some red Virgina Sausage from Mommy...

Attachments

• Fiona Eating VA Sausage-01.jpg
    Fiona Eating VA Sausage-01.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 259
  • Fiona Eating VA Sausage-02.jpg
    Fiona Eating VA Sausage-02.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Fiona Eating VA Sausage-03.jpg
    Fiona Eating VA Sausage-03.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 246

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
And here is our Mean Green Fighting Machine Fiona (she's 5 yrs old)... her glamour shot! lol. When Fiona is mad, her eyes turn to aligator eyes... lol.

Attachments

• Fiona Stairway Shadow.jpg
    Fiona Stairway Shadow.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 289
  • Fiona Stairway.jpg
    Fiona Stairway.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
And here is our Mean Green Fighting Machine Fiona (she's 5 yrs old)... her glamour shot! lol. When Fiona is mad, her eyes turn to aligator eyes... lol.

Sadly to say Fiona passwed away this past monday and we are very heart broken. She had a serious crash landing on 30 January which she ran into a pointy leg of an oak stool. Not uncommon and she usually gets up and shakes it off. But this time she ruptured her little spine and was unable to use her legs or feet at all. The vet took x-rays and there was no sign of fracture, so they placed her on medicine for the swelling and pain and in hopes of a long enduring recovery, but the vet gave a 50/50 chance of any type of recovery. We cared for her day in and out. Hand feeding her, cleaning her messes, trying to comfort her as much as we could and hoping for some sign of life to her little legs and feet. Always nothing but she kept up her spirits... until Sunday.

Fiona always had the flight of our house and was rarily caged, but she also adapted never to go to the bathroom in her cage. Typically she would come out and go to the bathroom on newspaper layed around her cage. The vet believes that from lack of eating and going to the bathroom regularly the poison eventually backed into her system. Sunday (10 Jan) she started to vomit and refused to drink, but did eat some crackers. Mommy bird stayed home from work that Monday to watch her and made an appt to see the Vet. While at the Vet Fiona went into remission and the vomit must have backed into her lungs. She was collapsing. Seeing her beautiful little eyes looking at us for help. The vet said she prolly wouldn't even make the trip home. We had to end her misery. She passed away around 11am that morning. She suffered no more.

Fiona would have been 6 y/o in April. We acquired her when she was only a few months old and gown to be quite a character. She loved music and actually bopped and danced to the beat of certain songs. She loved to visit Mommy in the bedroom on mornings and get her feathers blow-dryed. She was quite a pistol sometimes and we miss her so...

She is buried in between two beautiful trees in our back yard and have a hand made cross made out of large matches made by my father. A place I am sure her spirit is resting in comfort.

We now have to focus our love and attention to her little brother Izzy. He knew and squawked long and loud that morning we brought her corpse home to bury. Like he was yelling NO! Besides the hurt and loss, he is doing fine.

Rest in peace Fiona... we love and miss you ~ Mommy, Daddy and Izzy

Last edited: