Cloth Diapers

va_girl_in_somd

Do any of you guys/gals cloth diaper? I'm expecting my first and considering it as an option, not for environmental standards (since science is inconclusive if cloth is actually a better option when you take into account all the laundering) but for financial reasons (the upfront cost is higher but over time it's been shown to save a bundle). Are there any good cloth diaper swaps/ resources/ etc in the area?

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Do any of you guys/gals cloth diaper? I'm expecting my first and considering it as an option, not for environmental standards (since science is inconclusive if cloth is actually a better option when you take into account all the laundering) but for financial reasons (the upfront cost is higher but over time it's been shown to save a bundle). Are there any good cloth diaper swaps/ resources/ etc in the area?

Never did it, too much poop handling for this girl. Rinsing and squeezing out fecal contaminated material wasn't gonna happen. Good luck, I hope you have a strong stomach and save big $$$ though.

snuzzy

I intended to use cloth diapers, bought plenty of them ahead of time...they make great dust cloths!

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I remember my mother using cloth diapers for my brother. No way, tyvm. I don't wanna be messing with that. There are ways to save money on disposables. And the savings in hassle is well worth it for me.

emma1606

The new target brand Up and Up are working great for me and I always used huggies but not anymore, MUCH cheaper!!!

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
The new target brand Up and Up are working great for me and I always used huggies but not anymore, MUCH cheaper!!!
Haven't tried those, but BJ's brand is perfectly good. I often splurge, however and get Luv's, which I believe are made by Pampers and work just as well. The only difference being the outer layer isn't as much like cloth as Pampers. I say who cares what's on the outside as long as it holds onto what's inside.

A common mistake parents make (from an economy standpoint) is going to a larger size diaper before it's necessary. The larger the diaper, the fewer diapers you get for the same money. A lot of parents assume that if a diaper leaks one time, or even a few times, it means you have to get bigger diapers. This isn't necessarily true. I've found, after having 4 children of my own and having taken care of more day care children than I can count, that all babies go through a stage where they explode out of their diapers. Getting larger diapers doesn't solve the problem. In fact, in some cases larger diapers make it worse because they fit looser and have gaps.

Register with all the major brand baby stuff websites and get tons of samples and freebies....Pampers, Huggies, Gerber, all the formula companies and don't forget Babies R Us. You will get tons of useful stuff. AND when you go to the hospital and they give you the free diaper bag from one of the major formula companies....ask for the ones from the others. Enfamil, Similac and Good Start all have free diaper bags with sample and coupons, not only for formula but for diapers and other baby products. But if you don't ask, you'll only get whichever one the nurse decides to give you. I got three and two of them even had baby storybooks in them. :yay:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv

Yes, I did. But it was a diaper service that my MIL paid for. For a year. I had twins in 1986!

If you want to go this route, even washing your own diapers, you will save money. But cut yourself some slack too! Hopefully, they are still available, but I used diaper liners also. So when they pooped, I used the usual wipes, but didn't have to do the flush and rinse part with the diaper itself. The liner kept the mess off the cloth, so flush or dispose of properly. Wala! :smoochy:

BTW- I have 3 grand children now, so what do I know? I'm OLD! But I'll be damned if I'll do cloth diapers now!! Pampers and Pullups!! :killingme

Cowgirl

My sister uses cloth diapers. Did for both of her kids. She loves them. :yay: They are MUCH better than they used to be. It depends on what brands you buy. Some cloth diapers are just as convenient as disposables. They have liners that you can lift out of the diaper and flush.

My sister uses the kind that you fold and pin. It's very easy once you get used to it. In fact, here is this video she made. She loves cloth.

morningbell

hmmmmmm

My SO's mother just gave me a butt load of cloth diapers, inserts, woolen/waterproof pants, wool wash, some she made herself and sold online and some she had left over from her daughter. IDK how many lasted through all 4 of her boys but they're all in EXCELLENT condition.
We aren't doing 100% cloth, we're doing Seventh Generation disposables and G diapers when we're out (even though I heard G diapers aren't that great, after we purchased them.
I figure if his mom did it with 3 children and his sister did it with 4 boys I can do this.

IDK of any cloth diaper services in Southern MD or any swap, but I'll keep my ears out for them and ask friends who have used/are using cloth diapers.

wearepbandj

It is not worth it. Buy diapers. Ask your friends and family to save coupons. I did cloth diapers when i had my son. That last a day...lol! He pooped ever 5 mins. I wasn't even breast feeding.

Goobergrl6

Yes I did cloth and LOVED it! I still have all my diapers. I used pocket diapers mostly which go on and off like a sposie. They are NOT bad to clean. You either plop the poop intot he toilet and throw the diaper into a bag, or if it does not plop they have little sprayers you can attach to your toilet and spray it off. Not bad at all! There are no real good swaps here but you can sometimes get them on craigslist and some websites like diaperswapper.com, mothering.com, and diaperpin.com
If you have any questions PLEASE feel free to ask!

SoMDGirl42

I didn't have a choice with my youngest but to do cloth diapers after she was born. She had a severe allergic reaction to the disposable diapers within hours of birth.

I did cloth diapers for the first 3 months. I used the Fuzzi Bunz, but they were really expensive! It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be using the cloth. The only problem I had was I couldn't afford to buy stacks of them, so I had to wash them every day. I think I had about 16.

Fuzzi Bunz Cloth Diapers: Cloth Diapering Made Simple - Nurtured Family

After 3 months the doctor said I could try a different brand of disposable diaper (other than pampers swaddlers) than the hospital used. She was sensitive to some, but no major reactions. I ended up using Huggies and it worked out.