Comcast in Calvert County

GregV814

Alright, as many of you know, there is a monopoly in Calvert County that the Parker Brothers would be salivating over. COMCAST has the current run for internet TV service, and have a customer service team dedicated to that fact. Beginning in the first weeks of August my cable and internet was interrupted frequently. The "representative" at the PF Office told me to get new boxes and everything would be peachy keen!!

Well you know the drill...After two weeks of "pixelation" two separate contractors (when not complaining about previous work) told me the problem was the cord between the pederstal in the Court and my house.. So after the temporary cord was laid, shazzzam still pixelation....

It was later revealed the problem was about a block away on another street....that was eventually fixed...

So after 45 minutes on the phone with some Somalian refugee CSR and a supervisor, they "offered" me a veiled apology and 30 bucks.....

So I understand the County politicians gave COMCAST a 15 year contract....cool eh???

Salmon

Cut the cord. Get an app on an Amazon fire stick. Best of all, it can be used anywhere.

RodRugg

When my uncle Stanley used to sell pots and pans to people in the forest, he fell into a cravass and shattered up his leg so bad that some of the bones that go together weren't even connected. He screamed for 6 hours until some guy who lived nearby got so sick of it he came to tell my uncle to shut up because it was scaring his cats. Then he saw my uncle's busted up leg and offered to help my uncle drag himself off his property. When my uncle's leg healed up enough to go back and get his stuff, it was gone and he's pretty sure that guy with the cats took it. Anyways, three weeks later Comcast told him he could finally get cable where he lived but only now he couldn't because he had to pay for all them pots and pans with his own money. He went to jail for 3 weeks after that for throwing rocks through that cat guy's windows and got put in a cell with a TV that showed no-nudes like Sanford and Son and Gunsmoke and Leave It to Beaver. When he got out he was even more mad that he couldn't get cable and he just kept saying he was gonna kidnap that guy's cats and give them away to people he didn't hate or maybe even shoot that guy's head off and get free TV for the rest of his life but he never did. I think he was scared to go back to jail because he hated to do his toilet business in front of everybody even if everybody was looking at the TV.

hitchicken

Cut the cord. Get an app on an Amazon fire stick. Best of all, it can be used anywhere.

Help me to understand what you mean. I thought the Amazon Fire Stick requires either a wifi connection or an internet connection. How would that work anywhere?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The County and Comcast agreed on a 15 year franchise agreement after a study was done by a third party company. https://www.co.cal.md.us/DocumentCenter/Index/2164 I presume you were at the public meeting and voiced your concern with this agreement (not that it has anything to do with your problems)?

Please help me. I've been rolling on the floor laughing so hard for so long that my muscles are in such a weakened state that I cannot pick myself up from that comment. Man, that was a good one. As if anyone in Prince Frederick listens to the people's concerns. You are an effing joke.

Goldenhawk

With all due respect, I don't think that will help. He said his internet service AND his cable were interrupted regularly. It all comes in over the same coax cable - if his TV is flaky, his internet connection is probably also bad. With bad internet, TV-over-internet will be bad. Comcast has him both ways - with a monopoly on the one and only cable running to his house, there's not much he can do about it.

Hannibal

Help me to understand what you mean. I thought the Amazon Fire Stick requires either a wifi connection or an internet connection. How would that work anywhere?

You are correct. The Fire Stick uses an existing internet connection to provide you content. A workaround (without relying on a traditional in home network) is to use your personal hotspot through your phone service (LTE). This serves as an alternate when Comcast goes out. Granted, my company pays for unlimited service on my phone so it's an option for me. I am not sure what that feature would cost privately. Then again, given the cost of a monthly internet service package, it may be cost effective. Also, it likely can't support multiple draws on that feed (not sure).

Hannibal

I'll join this rant. We moved into Calvert a couple years back into a new neighborhood. Comcast was the only service available to us (no Fios, etc.). I am not entirely sure if Dish/Direct TV was a viable option for internet service. We were more or less told our only option was Comcast (didn't know about this supposed monopoly). Anyhow, with a new (and higher) mortgage and three young kids who were becoming more aware of the TV (as opposed to books, outside, etc.) - we committed to cutting the cord and really downsizing our TV package to just some smart TV access (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.). In talking with Comcast to set this up, we were informed that limiting our subscription to just internet was actually more expensive than packaging internet and TV. This was their attempt to stave off cutting the cord. Didn't like this, but had no choice and signed their standard two year contract which gave us their internet package along with ONE STANDARD DEFINITION cable box (simply because we had to). Over the course of those two years, service was as you would expect. We'd deal with the occasional outage and the semi-frequent downturn in data leading to a lot of lagging or failures to connect. We'd have to constantly cycle our modem or have Comcast "flash" it. We managed ....... and I think our package cost us $120 total (including taxes, etc.). High in my opinion, but this was the basic package they offered.

Move ahead and our two year term apparently expires. We're not notified (our problem for not being ahead of this), but our bill jumps from $120/mos to $180/mos. Again, basic internet and one SD box. We call on a Sunday and ask WTF and am told our special pricing expired and this was our new rate. We ask what other plans are offered and we're told none. My wife, in a fit of rage, tells them they can go ahead and cancel our account. We're told they cannot cancel on Sunday's and we'd have to call back on Monday. I explain to my wife that we need to assess because many things in our house rely on the internet (our house phone, a lot of our TV content, basic browser access, Alexa, security items, etc.) and unfortunately, we cannot simply bail.

I jump online Monday morning to prepare myself for a phone call with Comcast. I go to explore their available packages. Their website funnels you to specific options that pigeon hole you. In other words, you cannot get new customer pricing. If you state you are an existing/previous customer, you have to provide them information which directs you to your account. AND FOR THE KICKER, when you log into your account, you are now not allowed to see what packages are available to you ....... you must now call to speak to someone. To be clear, as a customer, I have no ability to research what my options are without speaking directly to one of their reps.

Anyone tried calling in there? Protip ..... use the prompts to tell them you want to add service .... you'll get right through. Tell them you want to cancel ...... you will wait, and wait, and wait to speak with someone. And when you do get through, even if you are dead-set committed to opting out, they won't let you do it timely. Be prepared to be on the phone for 30 mins.

In our case, we worked out a negotiated rate. They wouldn't honor their introductory pricing. They basically acknowledged we had no other provider to pin them against and stated we simply had to make a choice of whether we wanted service or not (and of course, they stressed it was OUR choice). So now, I pay $145/mos for home internet and one SD box. FML.

Comcast is hands down the biggest POS company that exists. Aside from the guys who actually troubleshoot their physical lines, they are all worthless. Fios would get such a huge bump in switch over simply for NOT BEING COMCAST that I am surprised that they haven't pushed that agenda. The conduit/infrastructure is already in for most areas. If the County doesn't allow that competition, then they need to police Comcast.

Second protip ...... call Comcast constantly. Anytime we have a service interruption (talking pixilation or an outright outage) .... even for seconds, we call. We tell them quality is crap and/or we lost service and we demand our account is credited. Last week, we lost service for 30 minutes. They credited me back $25. Each time we cycle the modem .... we call. Each time they tell us we should cycle the modem .... we call. As I've explained each time, you all want to charge me a ridiculous rate, than I am going to expect ridiculous service. I am going to hold you accountable in that my payment is proportionate to full time use and access and when i don't get it, my payment is to be adjusted. Sh!t, i will look up when outages happen overnight during periods in which I am sleeping. Doesn't matter. F them. I've had them tell me they had no reported outages in the area and I will play the "not my problem what your computer shows ..... all I know is that at about 3AM, I couldn't watch my dirty shows." Ching ching.

Sorry for the novel but I hate these fukkers.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Hannibal...I didn’t want to use too much white space, but we experienced the same as you. Excellent rant, btw. :lol: When we moved to Broomes Island in 1998, there was no cable option, until Comcast, finally, came through there. We had a tv antenna on the roof. We left Calvert almost two years ago, and went with Direct TV that did the price hike, too, after a year. We have Hulu right now. The fire stick sounds awesome, but I refuse to give any more of my money to Bezos.

Last edited:

Salmon

True, you need internet connection. I have used it in hotels. I pay for the Direct TV app. I used to have Sling. The only downfall is if you like the Orioles or Nationals. The Orioles owner does not allow MASN to be streamed on these apps. That said, the overall selection is a much better value than Comcast.