Comey Unmasked

Midnightrider

Are you even putting the dots together?

Comey drafts a memo. He admits he wrote this memo, and he admits leaking it to his friend with the intent of leaking it to the media. Low and behold the information that is in this memo shows in the NYT. You just admitted it showed up in the NYT a day before Trump's tweet, discrediting Comey's claim that he leaked it after Trump's tweet. And Comey even testified that he gave a copy of the memo to his friend.

do you think comey remained silent about his meetings with trump after he was fired or do you think he told friends and associates about his side of things?
Do you think the people at the FBI read comey's memos after he was fired?
In either case the info would be out there prior to the 11th.

Also, Comey admitted to telling one person, a friend at Columbia. The NYT article attributes the info in the article from the 11th to two unnamed sources.

SamSpade

do you think comey remained silent about his meetings with trump after he was fired or do you think he told friends and associates about his side of things?

I think he's been in Washington long enough to keep a lot of it to himself - or to trust very few people.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Do you think the people at the FBI read comey's memos after he was fired?
In either case the info would be out there prior to the 11th.

Also, Comey admitted to telling one person, a friend at Columbia. The NYT article attributes the info in the article from the 11th to two unnamed sources.

You're asking about a bunch of hypotheticals. We only know what Comey has testified to. We know he wrote a memo about his meeting with Trump. We know he held on to this memo until Trump mentioned their conversation could have been recorded. Comey decided to CYA and LEAK the memo. Bottom line is the timeline doesn't match what Comey stated under oath. He released that memo before Trump made his tweet. I doubt this will raise any legal eyebrows; but what is raising legal eyebrows is the fact that he is the source of the NYT leak. He may be in legal hot water over this.

Scootboot

Here is Comey's answer about the leak:

COMEY: I asked — the president tweeted on Friday after I got fired that I better hope there's not tapes. I woke up in the middle of the night on Monday night because it didn't dawn on me originally, that there might be corroboration for our conversation. There might a tape. My judgment was, I need to get that out into the public square. I asked a friend of mine to share the content of the memo with a reporter. Didn't do it myself for a variety of reasons. I asked him to because I thought that might prompt the appointment of a special counsel. I asked a close friend to do it.

What I question is the that if there are tapes and there is corroboration why do you need to leak anything? I can not figure out why Trump tweeting about the tapes would cause him to think he needed to leak the memo unless he wanted to get a narrative in the public before the truth came out or just plain get Trump back. I really believe that he has written many memos during his tenure but it is convenient to say meetings with Trump were the only times he did so that the others don't get called into question. Comey is shady to me.

Midnightrider

You're asking about a bunch of hypotheticals. We only know what Comey has testified to. We know he wrote a memo about his meeting with Trump. We know he held on to this memo until Trump mentioned their conversation could have been recorded. Comey decided to CYA and LEAK the memo. Bottom line is the timeline doesn't match what Comey stated under oath. He released that memo before Trump made his tweet. I doubt this will raise any legal eyebrows; but what is raising legal eyebrows is the fact that he is the source of the NYT leak. He may be in legal hot water over this.

Except that that isn't what he testified to and the NYT article attributes their first story to two sources AND their story from the 11th doesn't mention any memos.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Actually, Trump tweeted about the tapes on May 12th. The memos were revealed by the NYT on May 16th.

It was reported on 16 May. I'm trying to find it, but I saw that Comey leaked it to his friend (Daniel Richman) on 11 May.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Bottom line is the timeline doesn't match what Comey stated under oath. He released that memo before Trump made his tweet. I doubt this will raise any legal eyebrows; but what is raising legal eyebrows is the fact that he is the source of the NYT leak. He may be in legal hot water over this.

Incorrect.....

Actually, Trump tweeted about the tapes on May 12th. Comey gave the content to his friend the following Monday. The memos were revealed by the NYT after that. So, I don't know where you're coming up with this idea that Comey released the content of the memos prior to Trump's "recordings" tweet.

awpitt

Main Streeter
It was reported on 16 May. I'm trying to find it, but I saw that Comey leaked it to his friend (Daniel Richman) on 11 May.

No. He gave his friend the content of the memos after the Trump "recordings" tweet. The following Monday, which would've been May 15th.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I was reading this piece from the Young Conservatives website the other day

On May 11, the day before the Trump tweet, the NY Times printed a story, also citing ‘associates’ of Comey with information from the dinner meeting Trump had with Comey. The article even referenced the ‘private dinner’ meeting in the title “In a Private Dinner, Trump Demanded Loyalty. Comey Demurred” while citing information which supposedly was in the memo, including the ‘loyalty’ demand.

This shows that there was already a conduit running between the NY Times and Comey through the associates, it wasn’t prompted by the Trump tweet as Comey claimed under oath to Congress.
Indeed, the Trump tweet may have been a reaction to the May 11 story, as the May 11 story made it obvious that Comey must have leaked since only he would know details of the private dinner meeting and the paper cited his associates.

In regard to the May 11 article, Isaac Simpson of Medium wrote, “It makes little sense that ‘associates’ of Comey would remember the verbiage of the conversation with such detail, and then independently leak that verbiage without any direction from Comey himself, particularly when Comey admitted that he was willing to make such leaks only a week later.”

This problem in the timeline was what Trump’s lawyer, Marc Kasowitz, referred to in his statement about Comey’s rationale for his actions being false.

“The public record reveals that the New York Times was quoting from these memos the day before the referenced tweet, which belies Mr. Comey’s excuse,” a statement from Kasowitz said.

Comey needs to be grilled further on the May 11 story and if he was behind orchestrating that leak.

The links should all work - there are many references that the Blogger cites. If not, you can read it from the YC site -

PsyOps

Pixelated
Incorrect.....

Actually, Trump tweeted about the tapes on May 12th. Comey gave the content to his friend the following Monday. The memos were revealed by the NYT after that. So, I don't know where you're coming up with this idea that Comey released the content of the memos prior to Trump's "recordings" tweet.

You're right, I am mistaken. The article released on the 11th by the NYT was Comey leaking his notes about the "loyalty" question. Although this article does claim there was info in the leaked information pertaining to dropping the Flynn case:

Comey’s testimony under oath, declared that he made the decision to leak the contents of the memo very late on Monday, May the 15th, in the middle of the night.

If we grant Comey every presumption, that once he made the decision to leak the memo, and acknowledge that thereafter he then acted quickly, the very earliest that the contents of the memo could have seen publication would be Tuesday, May 16th.

There is only one flaw in Comey’s narrative.

On May 11th, one day before President Trump’s tweet, the New York Times published an article that detailed much of the contents of the Comey memo.

The ‘Times’ article details accounts from Comey ‘associates’ that duplicates much of the information relayed by Comey in a prepared statement documenting the contents of his memos, that he gave to the Senate Intelligence Committee just prior to his testimony.

Comey falsified his narrative in sworn testimony to the Senate Intelligence Committe as to how and when the content’s of his memos were leaked.

I read the 11 May NYT article and can't say for sure that it alludes to any of the Comey memo regarding the dropping of the Flynn case. It only makes mention of the loyalty question.

Neither here-nor-there, leaking these memos was not authorized, and I believe Comey could be in trouble for it.

Midnightrider

You're right, I am mistaken. The article released on the 11th by the NYT was Comey leaking his notes about the "loyalty" question. Although this article does claim there was info in the leaked information pertaining to dropping the Flynn case:

I read the 11 May NYT article and can't say for sure that it alludes to any of the Comey memo regarding the dropping of the Flynn case. It only makes mention of the loyalty question.

Neither here-nor-there, leaking these memos was not authorized, and I believe Comey could be in trouble for it.
he could be, but his statement under oath was very lawyerly. He said he "had a friend disclose the contents of the memo." I have a feeling that is going to be his defense if leaking the memo is illegal. Semantics, but that's what lawyers are good at....

nutz

he could be, but his statement under oath was very lawyerly. He said he "had a friend disclose the contents of the memo." I have a feeling that is going to be his defense if leaking the memo is illegal. Semantics, but that's what lawyers are good at....

define disclose

PsyOps

Pixelated

I guess it would figure that Comey would throw his friend under the bus. The only problem is... Comey is the source of the memo. He gave it to his friend (Dan Richman) with the intent of Dan Richman leaking it to the press. Comey put it out there, which makes him the leaker.