Coming For Super Hero's

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Dockterman posits that most superheroes are white and “either function as an extension of a broken U.S. justice system or as vigilantes without any checks on their powers,” then continues, “In fact, real-life police officers sometimes adopt the symbolism of these rogue anti-heroes.”

She goes on to espouse the claim of “systemic racism” within the law enforcement community of the superhero universe, which she suggests has historically featured too many white men and which does not adequately “reckon with issues of systemic racism—let alone sexism, homophobia, transphobia and other forms of bigotry embedded in the justice system or the inherent biases these superheroes might carry with them as they patrol the streets, or the universe.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/time-magazine-says-superheroes-are-like-cops-and-should-be-reexamined

DaSDGuy

Sadly, most people who discuss "sexism, homophobia, transphobia and other forms of bigotry" are also practitioners.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

SamSpade

For those who aren't much into the history of comics - it was quite a while before there were any FEMALE superheroes either - and when there were, they were clad in skimpy tight spandex.

Because comics are NOT literature - it's profit. You sell comic books to little boys. When they first started - it was white guys DRAWING them.
Black Panther, Falcon, Luke Cage - they came along a lot later. Why? Sales.

One thing I try to say - it is NOT ABOUT YOU. What's the point of telling ANY story if it has to be tailored to your sensibilities?

SamSpade

To be fair, so were some of the men. :) I do agree with you however - female Thor? Give me a break.

I don't have a problem with "female Thor". The premise of Thor is always - "if he be worthy". If it's going to be a woman, it makes sense it'd be Thor's girlfriend Jane Foster, while he gets himself together - and reclaims Mjolnir.

I'm less cool with totally retconning a character to suggest they were ALWAYS female (aka Captain Marvel) when anyone who reads it knows otherwise.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How I feel about cartoon characters is....they are cartoon characters. They can be whatever the person who draws them wants them to be.

But rather than repurposing male cartoons to make them female, why not simply....create female superheroes? It's not like there's some limit on how many there can be. I guarantee you nobody wants to see a girl Batman. Or a gay Batman, since we're on the subject.

But the Left hates women, and they won't go see any female superhero even though they are the ones clamoring for it.

Hijinx

I have a different thought.

IMO they should leave comic book character to the comic books .