Commute to Montgomery County area

Seamaid

Thank you for your reply and everyone elses, it really helped!

that's why I hit it in the morning, there is always some excuse to skip the gym in the evenings. Being that my gym is 24 hour it let's me get in at 3:20 or so, workout till 4:30, get ready for work then hit the Beltway.

Now I am driving to NE DC, its closer but takes just as long due too the speed cameras

Nupe2

One more...I live in Charlotte Hall and used to commute to Bethesda. It was 63 miles each way. You do lose a lot of your life with such a commute and I can only imagine how much worse the traffic might be these days. I have a 50 mile commute now and that is the one reason that I am looking forward to retirement within the next 3 years. The wear and tear on your body and the stress of the commute takes its toll. I know the money is better "up North" but sometimes it's just not worth it. Just my two cents....good luck! :yay:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
leave at 3 pm. The coming home traffic would be better then than at 5 pm.

Not necessarily. It really depends on the day. I've left Gaithersburg early around 3pm before and encountered as much traffic as when I've left at 5pm. On average, you should be okay going in and leaving early but traffic around here is fickle and defies explanation sometimes. You never know what you're going to get on any given day. Good luck!

Seamaid

Your right, there is no hard and fast rule with traffic. I won't have to go as far as 270 thank goodness, but still 495 can be awful.

Not necessarily. It really depends on the day. I've left Gaithersburg early around 3pm before and encountered as much traffic as when I've left at 5pm. On average, you should be okay going in and leaving early but traffic around here is fickle and defies explanation sometimes. You never know what you're going to get on any given day. Good luck!

Darcy

I used to drive from Lexington Park to Silver Spring (close to Wheaton) almost everyday. Normally, I take route 4 to 495 and exit to Wheaton. It takes about hour and a half to get there. You should hit 495 at least 6 am to avoid all traffic too.

Mikeinsmd

:yeahthat:

I've been driving it 23+ yrs. If you leave at 5:00, you can make Wheaton in an hour easy. Take 4 to 495.

Returning is a different story. I work in in Rockville & like sweet 16 says, afternoons are a roll of the dice but you can count on 1.5 hours every day.

ImnoMensa

If you go try taking the University Blvd. exit off the Beltway it is a little shorter , dumps you off right in Wheaton proper. Gets you off the Beltway a little sooner.

ImnoMensa

Once they were going to build an inter-county connector up there to take some of the pressure off the Belltway,but Mr. Glendenning spent the money on new highways for Baltimore and they didnt get it.

If you go try taking the University Blvd. exit off the beltway it is faster and gets you off the beltway a little sooner. Dumps you right off in Wheaton.

willie

I'm considering taking a job in Wheaton, I live in north Calvert County. Anyone take this trip reguarly and if so, what route do you take. I was thinking of taking route 4 to 495, off on Georgia Ave, but I was thinking that there could be an easier way?
495 comes to a standstill at New Hampshire Ave. at 6AM. This will be a terrible commute any route you take.

Mikeinsmd

Once they were going to build an inter-county connector up there to take some of the pressure off the Belltway,but Mr. Glendenning spent the money on new highways for Baltimore and they didnt get it.

If you go try taking the University Blvd. exit off the beltway it is faster and gets you off the beltway a little sooner. Dumps you right off in Wheaton.
:confused: They got it. Construction has started. Still has controversy though.