Commute to NAS PAX

I am starting a position at NAVAIR in April. I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of where to live? I am used to living in a more urban are and looking for an area that has entertainment or an Annapolis like feel to it. Does that exist in southern Maryland? My girlfriend and I are in our early 30s and do not have any children.

I am also considering the National Harbor area. How far of a commute would it be from the National Harbor area? I did the drive outside of rush hour and it was roughly a hour. Would it be imflated greatly during rush hour?

My boss does the drive down here from Annapolis every day.

MrX

High Octane
Live in Mid to Northern Calvert, and have a livable commute to work and entertainment without having to deal with most of the BS that would come with living extremely close to either.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I am starting a position at NAVAIR in April. I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of where to live? I am used to living in a more urban are and looking for an area that has entertainment or an Annapolis like feel to it. Does that exist in southern Maryland? My girlfriend and I are in our early 30s and do not have any children.

I am also considering the National Harbor area. How far of a commute would it be from the National Harbor area? I did the drive outside of rush hour and it was roughly a hour. Would it be imflated greatly during rush hour?

If you like the 'Annapolis feel' why don't you just live there? :shrug:It's about a 2 hour commute.

The only areas I can think of (outside of Annapolis )that have an 'Annapolis feel' is maybe North Beach or Chesapeake beach - I think that would be about an hour commute.

Personally, I would rather live close to the base & venture out vs. the opposite. I'm sure Wildewood (California, MD) has lots of US Naval Academy graduates living there - you could get a pseudo Annapolis feel.

fjh3

Thx

All,

Thanks for all of the good information. I am going to scrap the plan to live in National Harbor and focus on the North/Chesapeake Beach area. It seems to have most of the amentities I am looking.

fjh3

KVF323

If you like Annapolis, maybe move to Calvert somewhere between Naptown and PAX? Maybe Dunkirk?

morningbell

hmmmmmm
All,

Thanks for all of the good information. I am going to scrap the plan to live in National Harbor and focus on the North/Chesapeake Beach area. It seems to have most of the amentities I am looking.

fjh3

St. Mary's County is AWESOME especially for young couples!! I live 5 mins from Pax gate 3, I love my neighborhood, we just bought our house and now we're moving (because of unfortold events) across country.
You know, gas is supposed to go up again soon, think about the time and money wasted by commuting 20 hours or more a week.

You should buy our house :jet:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Well, let's see! In St. Mary's we have one nasty, slimy movie theater, one bowling alley that no one really wants to frequent because of the management, probably a dozen or more strip malls, plenty of fast-food joints, a new Olive Garden with lines around the building, a 1950's armory converted to a recreation center, sections of a 10-year-in-the planning road that goes nowhere, and some of the highest taxes in the country. Welcome to SoMD.

Nashville's looking better and better all the time.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It's a 5 - 10 minute commute to Pax from the South, no matter what time of day.

The same distance to the North would be a 1/2 hour - 45 minute commute.

If you have a car, live close to work, and drive to play. It becomes a lot of NOT fun doing it the other way.

Toxick

Splat

I'm sorry to hear that.

With the exception of drinking, fighting and the television in your own living room, there is no virtually no entertainment down here whatsoever.

You may think I'm being sarcastic... I am not.

It is a desolate cultural wasteland.

Outside the base is Lexington Park - it has all the crappy parts of urban life (crime, gridlocked traffic, rampant drug use, street-walking prostitutes), but none of the benefits. (museums, decent local music scene, upscale shops, restaurant variety).

If you enjoy things like fishing, barbecues, drag races and 10 oz Budweiser, you've picked the right spot.

If you enjoy things like live comedy acts, concerts, and a state government that gives a rat's ass about your existence, you've landed on the dark side of the ####ing moon.

You're looking at a commute of about an hour and a half to two hours depending on traffic.

Traffic is awful during rush hour.