Complete failure @ Wildewood & Rt 4 light

CrashTest

What are you talking about? You can go out to St. Johns Road, Cottonwood Parkway, Wildewood Blvd, White Oak Parkway or Route 4. I included White Oak with Wildewood Blvd earlier because they meet. How are you only counting one?

The St. Johns Rd route is new and I've used it. It's unusable due to speed bumps along the way plus the Macadam road surface on Hayden Rd is not really suited for thru traffic, plus it's several miles out of the way just to get to Rt 235. It's not like it dumps you on Rt 5 or down on Rt 4 by Fairgrounds Rd.

What I mean by my other statement, is that for the vast majority of folks to get out, they have to ALL go north on WW Parkway long before they even get to those other exits you mention. The opposite coming home. See "static bottleneck" below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_bottleneck

itsrequired

The St. Johns Rd route is new and I've used it. It's unusable due to speed bumps along the way plus the Macadam road surface on Hayden Rd is not really suited for thru traffic, plus it's several miles out of the way just to get to Rt 235. It's not like it dumps you on Rt 5 or down on Rt 4 by Fairgrounds Rd.

What I mean by my other statement, is that for the vast majority of folks to get out, they have to ALL go north on WW Parkway long before they even get to those other exits you mention. The opposite coming home. See "static bottleneck" below.

So you agree there are other ways out, just not routes you prefer. Have you done a study about people using Lawrence Hayden? Everyone I know who lives in Wildewood and works in Leonardtown use Lawrence Hayden to get to work.

CrashTest

So you agree there are other ways out, just not routes you prefer. Have you done a study about people using Lawrence Hayden? Everyone I know who lives in Wildewood and works in Leonardtown use Lawrence Hayden to get to work.

Study? You must work in Planning and Zoning or the FDR Blvd Team. Don't need a study to see a when a road is disfucntional.

itsrequired

Study? You must work in Planning and Zoning or the FDR Blvd Team. Don't need a study to see a when a road is disfucntional.

I'm not talking about the road being dysfunctional. You keep making these statements which you then have to back down from. First, one way out then one way in. Then people only able to use the Parkway to get out...then 90% of people going out one way... blah blah blah....I don't know where you work, but it's obviously a place where factual information isn't important, but anecdotal information is key.

terbear1225

Since when do speed bumps make a road unusable?

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
90% of the folks who live in WW must go north on WW Parkway to get out. This equals 1 way out.

This was the first thought that came to my mind. They think it's crazy now. That might actually be humorous to watch but what a fustercluck what would be.

:eyebrow:

Not sure many SoMD drivers are equipped to handle extra decisions like that... :lol:

Well they put one on 234 and people have somehow managed to handle that one so far. :shrug:

Personally I have no clue why they didn't just put in a light and saved the millions on that silly circle. If I recall their was only a flashing light at that intersection before. I could always be wrong but a light system seems cheaper to me than that circle. It is really sad that we have become a nation of people that cannot circumvent a 4 way stop in a rural area to begin with.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
90% of the folks who live in WW must go north on WW Parkway to get out. This equals 1 way out.

Now this made me laugh. Seriously they put a light in because Mrs. Bohanan did not want her children using it. Oh dear lawd I have read it all now. I don't know how we survive down here past Lexington park with only one lane each way and that flashing light at the 5/235 intersection. I have only lived down here for 9 years and I think I have maybe seen one accident at that intersection. If people taught their peeps how to properly drive and the self entitled road warriors would slow down a bit and learn to exercise some patience then we might see a drop in all of these accidents and not need a stop light every hundred yards.

In the late 80's there was a huge need for a light at Pacific Dr. & GMR due to base traffic. I guess that is of so much of an issue anymore. The one place I would certainly back for a light is at the entrance/ exit to the hospital on RT. 5.

CrashTest

I'm not talking about the road being dysfunctional. You keep making these statements which you then have to back down from. First, one way out then one way in. Then people only able to use the Parkway to get out...then 90% of people going out one way... blah blah blah....I don't know where you work, but it's obviously a place where factual information isn't important, but anecdotal information is key.

Government likes fancy graphics and presentations. I wonder how many years it would take them to do this one?

Attachments

• hourglass.png
    hourglass.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 259

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Well just for fun I had to go to Bj's today so I opted for RT 5 to Indian Bridge to St. Andrews and indeed even though I was the first car with several buses behind me and no traffic at all heading towards LT. I did get stopped at the new light so a small silver car could make a right hand turn. Has anyone come from the Wildwood side that saw a no turn on red sign at Mrs. Bohanon's new light? So I must say that I agree with the original poster unless there are more than 4-5 cars waiting to turn left onto St. Andrew's or the same number trying to turn left into the neighborhood this light is useless. Also if you are turning into the neighborhood you only need to stop traffic on one side of the road not both.

garyt27

INAFJ
Came thru there today. weird striping, esp. left from N.bound rte 4, blind curve almost, S.bound 4. Just a stupid light all round.

CrashTest

I used the light the other morning to pull out of WW just to see what it was like. There was a school bus in front of me pulling out of WW left onto Rt4. Being behind that bus made me wonder who much the school busses factored into the decision to put a light there. Can't image what it must have been like for a school bus turning left out of WW at 7:00am without the light.

Curious99

WW has got permits for another 1,000 homes or so.
Get used to slower traffic because that’s what people want; at least that’s what they vote for.

CrashTest

WW has got permits for another 1,000 homes or so.
Get used to slower traffic because that’s what people want; at least that’s what they vote for.

As others have pointed out, the decisions were made decades ago. The Leonardtown brainiacs couldn't anticipate the bottlenecks back then since Google Earth had not yet been invented.

SugarBear47

Same thing happened today pulling out of Walmart/235 light, left turn to go north. Sat thru 3 cycles till finally other drivers were honking horns trying to force traffic across on a red...couple cars went but most made the right turn instead.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I used the light the other morning to pull out of WW just to see what it was like. There was a school bus in front of me pulling out of WW left onto Rt4. Being behind that bus made me wonder who much the school busses factored into the decision to put a light there. Can't image what it must have been like for a school bus turning left out of WW at 7:00am without the light.

I don't think it was the Bohanan family that got the light approved as much as Evergreen Elementary School