Cooper, 7 month old American Bulldog ISO home!

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
Cooper is a 7 month old American Bulldog who is in need of a forever home. He's house and crate trained, sweeeet - played with a little boy at Petco for about 30 mins or more, gets along w/other dogs (never been around cats).

His owner's decided that they don't have the time a puppy needs/deserves. If you think you might have the home he is looking for, please send me an email and I'll send you an application (katmc@secondhoperescue.org).

Attachments

• cooperface.jpg
    cooperface.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 429
  • cooper.jpg
    cooper.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 146
  • cooperstand.jpg
    cooperstand.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 120

frequentflier

happy to be living
Cooper is a 7 month old American Bulldog who is in need of a forever home. He's house and crate trained, sweeeet - played with a little boy at Petco for about 30 mins or more, gets along w/other dogs (never been around cats).

His owner's decided that they don't have the time a puppy needs/deserves. If you think you might have the home he is looking for, please send me an email and I'll send you an application (katmc@secondhoperescue.org).

Any chance you can bring him down today?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Just a quick question and I am hoping I don't offend anyone.

Why are there so many dogs that LOOK like pit bulls that have different breed name? I can't remember the one that I looked at, what they called the breed, but it looked like a pit bull to me. I really don't get it. I think the one I looked at they referred to as some kind of terrier? I could be wrong. J I didn't get that dog cause it was REALLY strong on the leash and I couldn't handle it without hurting myself. Just wondering. :shrug:

morningbell

hmmmmmm

Why are there so many dogs that LOOK like pit bulls that have different breed name? I can't remember the one that I looked at, what they called the breed, but it looked like a pit bull to me. I really don't get it. I think the one I looked at they referred to as some kind of terrier? I could be wrong. J I didn't get that dog cause it was REALLY strong on the leash and I couldn't handle it without hurting myself. Just wondering. :shrug:

I just responded to Unix's post about Bully breeds, I just seems that some rescues are lying or bending the truth when they either don't really know or want to get these dogs adopted so badly. It's obvious some mixed dogs have pit/bully breeding that they don't list. I know some, if a stray, is hard to tell but come on.

We are currently looking for a K9 companion as an addition to our family, we're searching petfinder weekly but it's getting to the point where SO is considering going to a reputable AKC breeder.

Look at this pup, now tell me, does anybody see the Shepherd in this dog?

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

As an FYI, that pic that KK posted is definitely an American Bulldog. I'm familiar enough with the breed and can see it right off, especially with his eye patch. Even looks pure breed to me. If not, it's really close. However, I can see where if someone wasn't familiar with an American bulldog would think it resembles a pit.

Also, most larger muscle bound dogs, are strong on the leash, regardless. I have a dog that outweighs me, and used to try to drag me all over (and sometimes succeeded). I bought a harness instead of a collar and have had no problems controlling him since.

But then again, I think many people see pits in every dog that they are unfamiliar with like it's some kind of mass hysteria. When T was alive, he was an elkhound and people would say he had pit in him. His colors and markings were nowhere near close. :rolleyes: Technically, my 4 pound wonder has markings that resemble a pits more. :lol: But also there are some dogs that are mixed that come into shelters, and an untrained person may just make the call and say what they think the dog resembles. I don't think there is any intentional attempt to mislead. I once saw a definite Jack Russell that was called a Cairn. :lol:

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"

If you saw him in person you would see the shepherd in him....

Unfortunately too many people and shelters see and label almost any dog "pit" mix, which sends many dogs to their death.

As far as Cooper - I have all his paperwork, he is a pure bred American Bulldog bought from a breeder in Florida.

If you want to make sure you don't get a mix with any type of "pit" in it, then by all means, buy from a "REPUTABLE" breeder - but be aware that just because they are registered w/the AKC that it does not equate to a reputable breeder.

And since I'm sure someone is going to throw this out - any dog we adopt that we even suspect might have pit in it, we tell the potential adopter.

We have labeled many dogs pit mixes and only once they have gotten older have we been able to guess just what the other half of that mix might be.

frequentflier

happy to be living
It is so hard to tell the *breeds* just from looking at a dog. Case in point: an adopter decided to pay for the DNA testing for a dog that was guessed to be a Lab mix. Turned out, the dog had Coonhound in him (and something else I don't remember- though something you would not have guessed)
If someone is truly interested in what the dog "really" is, the DNA tests are available.

ITS ME

I just responded to Unix's post about Bully breeds, I just seems that some rescues are lying or bending the truth when they either don't really know or want to get these dogs adopted so badly. It's obvious some mixed dogs have pit/bully breeding that they don't list. I know some, if a stray, is hard to tell but come on.

We are currently looking for a K9 companion as an addition to our family, we're searching petfinder weekly but it's getting to the point where SO is considering going to a reputable AKC breeder.

Yes, I think he looks like he has shepherd in him. He has huge ears and a long nose. :yay:

Unbelievable

Spay and Neuter Your Pets
If you saw him in person you would see the shepherd in him....

Unfortunately too many people and shelters see and label almost any dog "pit" mix, which sends many dogs to their death.

As far as Cooper - I have all his paperwork, he is a pure bred American Bulldog bought from a breeder in Florida.

If you want to make sure you don't get a mix with any type of "pit" in it, then by all means, buy from a "REPUTABLE" breeder - but be aware that just because they are registered w/the AKC that it does not equate to a reputable breeder.

And since I'm sure someone is going to throw this out - any dog we adopt that we even suspect might have pit in it, we tell the potential adopter.

We have labeled many dogs pit mixes and only once they have gotten older have we been able to guess just what the other half of that mix might be.

I never thought I would say this and I'm sure Krazd_Kat never expected to hear it, but I think pits and pit mixes are the best dogs ever! They may not always love other animals, but they love people, they're smart, they are the quietest dogs ever and, by gosh, they are cute. You really need to just let them into your life and they will quietly creep into your heart.:huggy: JMO:coffee:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
I never thought I would say this and I'm sure Krazd_Kat never expected to hear it, but I think pits and pit mixes are the best dogs ever! They may not always love other animals, but they love people, they're smart, they are the quietest dogs ever and, by gosh, they are cute. You really need to just let them into your life and they will quietly creep into your heart.:huggy: JMO:coffee:

I agree but not everyone wants a pit or bully breed which seem to be consistent in the pet rescue groups. I have rescued, fostered and had pits/bully breeds in my past so I'm aware of the terrier mentality and the constant need to be stimulated, they are very sweet and loving K9s but at the same time they carry a stigmata of being able to tare you or a young child apart. One pit I had tore down all the tree limbs, from 5 feet down, on a path from the barn to the house. He'd hang off a branch and shake it until it became loose. Many times I had to get him loose with a bucket of water but he'd just go back the next day determined. He still needs to be stimulated and he gets along with all dogs, even at his ripe old age of 11.

But then there are the sweetest pit mixes that one day feel the need to have to protect, too much. Another rescue of mine lived with a friend. Very sweet boy, fawn with emerald eyes, would never hurt a fly, loved kids. Well so and so was getting off her shift, she worked in the same office as this pup called home. she was rounding the corner when the owner's husband came home, she didn't expect to see him and he startled her, so she gasped and squealed a little wouldn't you know it, the sweetest pitty jumped on her, clamped down on her arm that had been protecting her face and left her 12 stitches. The owners put him down, no way they were having him as a liability, I don't blame them. Recently a boy I know was playing with the neighbor kids who happen to leave the gate open to their yard. The boy shut the gate, knowing they had two dogs and was sure they didn't want them roaming. As he shut the gate both pit mixes jumped on him and attacked him. He also had stitches but was smart enough to lay face down during the attack. I don't know what happened to those pits, I wouldn't know how to feel as the owner of those dogs.

With a dog that strong, who knows what could happen. There have been times I was bitten by my dogs, even sweet beagles, growing up with them as a child, it can even happen during play.

When I went back to see the first pup I mentioned, the 11 year old, last November, he had no teeth and was having a hard time walking but he knew who I was, gave me a hoarse bay like "where the hell have you been?!" and then gummed the side of my face. That dog will forever be in my heart.

My SO is dead set against adopting a pit/bully breed as well as me being a mom, there is no way I'd risk my own flesh and blood.

Unbelievable

Spay and Neuter Your Pets
I understand completely, but the key to any dog is human control over its environment and situations. They should not be left unattended or running freely in yards or any place they can dig out of or jump over. One of the foster pits we have has dug a hole three feet deep -- we think she's going to take a quieter means of getting rid of some of the other dogs she interacts with during play time, if you know what I mean. After all, they are very smart dogs. The worst bites I've had thus far are one from a 4 week old kitten who bit through my hand (he's two years old now and still with me) and one on my face by a scared chihuahua (he's upstairs now sleeping).

Crashpupty

havoc is havoc
I agree but not everyone wants a pit or bully breed which seem to be consistent in the pet rescue groups. I have rescued, fostered and had pits/bully breeds in my past so I'm aware of the terrier mentality and the constant need to be stimulated, they are very sweet and loving K9s but at the same time they carry a stigmata of being able to tare you or a young child apart. One pit I had tore down all the tree limbs, from 5 feet down, on a path from the barn to the house. He'd hang off a branch and shake it until it became loose. Many times I had to get him loose with a bucket of water but he'd just go back the next day determined. He still needs to be stimulated and he gets along with all dogs, even at his ripe old age of 11.

But then there are the sweetest pit mixes that one day feel the need to have to protect, too much. Another rescue of mine lived with a friend. Very sweet boy, fawn with emerald eyes, would never hurt a fly, loved kids. Well so and so was getting off her shift, she worked in the same office as this pup called home. she was rounding the corner when the owner's husband came home, she didn't expect to see him and he startled her, so she gasped and squealed a little wouldn't you know it, the sweetest pitty jumped on her, clamped down on her arm that had been protecting her face and left her 12 stitches. The owners put him down, no way they were having him as a liability, I don't blame them. Recently a boy I know was playing with the neighbor kids who happen to leave the gate open to their yard. The boy shut the gate, knowing they had two dogs and was sure they didn't want them roaming. As he shut the gate both pit mixes jumped on him and attacked him. He also had stitches but was smart enough to lay face down during the attack. I don't know what happened to those pits, I wouldn't know how to feel as the owner of those dogs.

With a dog that strong, who knows what could happen. There have been times I was bitten by my dogs, even sweet beagles, growing up with them as a child, it can even happen during play.

When I went back to see the first pup I mentioned, the 11 year old, last November, he had no teeth and was having a hard time walking but he knew who I was, gave me a hoarse bay like "where the hell have you been?!" and then gummed the side of my face. That dog will forever be in my heart.

My SO is dead set against adopting a pit/bully breed as well as me being a mom, there is no way I'd risk my own flesh and blood.

Sounds like some owners let their guard down. These are powerful dogs that have to be walked were the owner takes the lead and not be dragged along. These dogs are not Golden retrievers, they have to be walked and challenged daily. If left just sitting they will wait for something to stimulte them and the out come is rarely good. You have to be totally dedicated to this breed to be successful and unfortunatly most people are not and stories like this come out. These dogs need attention on a daily basis, video games and TV will not baby sit them as it does most children. When is the last time you really walked your dog and not the dog walk you? Either way a dog still needs a proper home so lets focus on that shall we.

Last edited:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
I understand completely, but the key to any dog is human control over its environment and situations. They should not be left unattended or running freely in yards or any place they can dig out of or jump over. One of the foster pits we have has dug a hole three feet deep -- we think she's going to take a quieter means of getting rid of some of the other dogs she interacts with during play time, if you know what I mean. After all, they are very smart dogs. The worst bites I've had thus far are one from a 4 week old kitten who bit through my hand (he's two years old now and still with me) and one on my face by a scared chihuahua (he's upstairs now sleeping).

What gets me mad is when a family will just go for a dog without looking into the breed at all. When my kids are grown I will be a pit owner again, I want them to understand how to live with dogs to start. I love the breed and when I heard about their plight that is why I started rescuing them so long ago.

Sounds like some owners let their guard down. These are powerful dogs that have to be walked were the owner takes the lead and not be dragged along. These dogs are not Golden retrievers, they have to be walked and challenged daily. If left just sitting they will wait for something to stimulte them and the out come is rarely good. You have to be totally dedicated to this breed to be successful and unfortunatly most people are not and stories like this come out. These dogs need attention on a daily basis, video games and TV will not baby sit them as it does most children. When is the last time you really walked you dog and not the dog walk you?
I COMPLETELY agree with you. We used to all it ruling them with an iron fist (NOT beating them!!!) it was an expression my friend and I used when talked about being 10 steps ahead of them. Know what they're going for, see what they're seeing. Through this we could ask if they were begging and they'd go lay down, we could soot a look even and it would work. It was funny actually. We had a relationship with these pups.

4thegirls

I have an American Bulldog that everyone thinks is a pit. I bought her from a reputable breeder that does not breed outside of a certain blood line and only will breed his dogs with other breeders who are trying to establish the same thing he is "temperment". They have to be well socialized with people and other dogs. She has no problem with people BUT we have had issues with other dogs. We have been able to correct those problems with training and ME being more aware in those situations they are now controlled. My son loves her and she has been a great companion for him. I would not trade my bully for anything. This dog has every trait of an American Bulldog, I just hope someone gives his a chance because they are great dogs.