Copilot - Microsoft's AI

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Puppy advice comes from the "internet experts" who don't know WTF they're talking about and may have never even seen a puppy in their lives, but I asked it if I should vote for Biden or Trump and the response was surprisingly balanced:

1. Policy Positions:
    • Biden: President Joe Biden is a Democrat. His policies focus on healthcare, climate change, infrastructure, and social justice. He aims to expand access to affordable healthcare, address climate change, and promote racial equity.
    • Trump: Former President Donald Trump is a Republican. His policies emphasized tax cuts, deregulation, strong borders, and a conservative judiciary. He prioritized economic growth and national security.

The rest was a bunch of blah blah, that I should research and make my own decision, don't forget about third party candidates, blah blah blah. I asked it a few more political questions and it was leaning left but not anything terribly offensive....and then there was this:

You
How do I fact-check political statements?

Copilot
Fact-checking political statements is crucial for informed decision-making. Here are some steps you can take:
  1. Be Skeptical:
    • Approach all claims with a healthy dose of skepticism. Remember that politicians and public figures may use hyperbole or misleading language.
  2. Check the Author and Publisher:
  3. Verify the Claim:
  4. Use Fact-Checking Websites:
    • Websites like PolitiFact, FactCheck.org, and Snopes evaluate claims made by politicians and public figures. They rate statements on their truthfulness using a standardized system32.
  5. Check Multiple Sources:
    • Cross-reference information from different sources. Look for consensus among reputable fact-checkers and news outlets.
  6. Look for Context:
    • Understand the context in which the statement was made. Sometimes a partial quote can be misleading without the full context.
  7. Fact-Checking Tools:
Remember that fact-checking is an ongoing process. Stay curious, verify information, and rely on credible sources to make informed decisions.

:roflmao: THERE it is.

In my casual forays into AI, I have to say I'm not impressed and can't figure out how a normal person would use it instead of doing a Google search. Is this meant to do away with individual websites and perspectives, and just give an official answer to everything? Because that sucks and is worthless (unless you're a Dembot who needs to be told what to think and too much information makes your head explode).

What am I missing here?

limblips

PREMO Member
I prefer to do my own research. Color me "boomer" but I want to know where the info came from, not just a bot sending me stuff.

SamSpade

1. Use Fact-Checking Websites:
    • Websites like PolitiFact, FactCheck.org, and Snopes evaluate claims made by politicians and public figures. They rate statements on their truthfulness using a standardized system32.
I don't know what to say. I find their "fact-checking" to be little more than the Democratic version of The Emperor's New Clothes - where they pretend the Democrat's obvious statements and action are not there. Where they gloss over and re-explain stuff that anyone with two eyes can tell.

And of course, how the overwhelming majority of their critical articles are of conservatives. Oh, yeah, they MIGHT make concessions for Democrats, but they're never harsh. An enormous part of the media pretends to be impartial - but much of is like Jon Stewart who once said that reality has a liberal bias.

I don't use these sites to fact-check- I use them to read what excuses Dems use and what attacks they use against conservatives.