Copperheads!!

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
GutiesFamily said:
I am not sure either about a copperhead being extremely aggressive. My 12 yr old (who has had training) is able to catch them bare handed as well. If we get on around our house. He just merely relocates it back into the woods. I have had him bit more by a Black Rat then anything else. As far as her having them at her home. Have you tried to supply them with habitat at farest edges of your propert, such as along a forest line. That is what we do, and we haven't had any come near the home, since we have.

You need your Fing head examined!!!

Cowgirl

:yeahthat: I would never let my 12 yr old try to catch a copperhead....that's just asking for trouble. It only takes one time with the wrong snake to get seriously injured. When we lived in Leonardtown, we had a dog that managed to get bitten twice by a copperhead. I guess he didn't learn his lesson the first time. I was also out in the pasture, moving a piece of plywood that got blown around by a storm, and when I lifted it up, I found curled up copperhead. My goat was pretty curious about what I was doing, so he came over. I was holding the plywood up and trying to keep the goat away, but the stupid goat stepped right on the snake. Luckily, the snake didn't bite him. I hollered for my brother, who brought me a shovel. I don't take chances with copperheads...especially with so many animals (pets and livestock) around.

And BTW Guties, what's with ressurrecting the 2 yr old tread?

johnycarcinogen

James White said:
First off an official statement..lol
It is illegal in the State of Md. To kill any snake...ok did that part..lol

Copperheads have been increasing in numbers in the southern maryland area for the past 3 years.

Some of the main hot spots for them are.
CRE,ranch club,Hollywood,Waldorf ,Hughesville,And a few other places.

Came across a copperhead in ranch club couple weeks ago, though it looked as somebody had already ran it over

SouthernZ

I have never seen a docile copperhead, every one that I have run across has been very aggressive. I lay no claim to being an expert on snakes, but the 7 or 8 times I've come across a copperhead, they have been far and away the most agressive snake I've ever seen.

Hi there,

Well I realize that I'm really late (5 years) answering this, but I ran across your post while looking for snake related stuff. I have a suspicion that those 7 or 8 snakes that you encountered were likely hognose snakes. I've written a detailed article about copperheads and about the other snakes that they are commonly confused with: It's not a copperhead! Stop killing hognose snakes.

The reason I say that is copperheads are almost always calm and docile, hognose snakes however put on a very impressive defensive display.

I hope this helps,
-SZ

Hi there,

Well I realize that I'm really late (5 years) answering this, but I ran across your post while looking for snake related stuff. I have a suspicion that those 7 or 8 snakes that you encountered were likely hognose snakes. I've written a detailed article about copperheads and about the other snakes that they are commonly confused with: It's not a copperhead! Stop killing hognose snakes.

The reason I say that is copperheads are almost always calm and docile, hognose snakes however put on a very impressive defensive display.

I hope this helps,
-SZ
Wow! Great article! I'm going to bookmark it! Thanks!

One suggestion tho... the green against the black is hard to read. I found myself having to hilight the areas as I read it.

Terence

Error 404
Awesome posting in a old thread! btw if your bitten goto hospital, like people said before me. anyways this thread may die again. pce :whistle:

Last edited:

SouthernZ

Awesome posting in a old thread! btw if your bitten goto hospital, like people said before me. anyways this thread may die again. pce :whistle:

I'm sorry about that, instead of posting in an old thread I think I'll make a new one just for this, so it will be more accessible to everyone.

And yes...if you're bitten then go to a hospital. But the likelyhood of ever being bitten is incredibly low unless you were doing something that you're not supposed to (i.e. trying to catch it or kill it).

-SZ

I have never seen a docile copperhead, every one that I have run across has been very aggressive. I lay no claim to being an expert on snakes, but the 7 or 8 times I've come across a copperhead, they have been far and away the most agressive snake I've ever seen.

Well, you should see a Cottonmouth, those bastards are downright evil!

SouthernZ

Not only are you late (5 years) answering this, it would probably have been better if you had read the original posters entire message.

Else you would have seen this part

Your own webisite identifies that the pupil shape of the eyes are one of the determining factors

Furthermore the OP identified the triagnular head, a common trait of pitvipers

If you look more closely you will notice that I was not replying to the original poster, I was replying to another user who posted in the thread about encountering 7 or 8 aggressive snakes.

-SZ