County parks

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
It didn't make sense to me that someone would not allow someone to throw a frisbee in a park. It does make sense that someone would be asked not to hit golf balls, foam or not in a park.

Baggett park usually has someone there smacking balls.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
It didn't make sense to me that someone would not allow someone to throw a frisbee in a park. It does make sense that someone would be asked not to hit golf balls, foam or not in a park.

What's the difference? Who gets to decide what is allowed and what isn't?

kom526

Real golf balls or soft, practice balls?
Not sure. My teams never practiced there, but I would say the same couple of guys there a couple of days a week, doing some short iron work. I have chased people off Chaptico field 2 for hitting golf balls off that surface. Then again our league had spent a couple thousand dollars to re-furbish that field and we (and the county) are trying to maintain its condition. That being said, there is still plenty of open space to hit balls around there.

Monello

PREMO Member
That seems pretty obvious. The people we pay to take care of the parks. Parks and Rec. The same people you are complaining about!

I still don't see the difference in using the park for any activity that doesn't infringe on anyone else. Whether it's croquet, badminton or hitting soft golf balls.

I'm not complaining about the employee, just complaining about the rule. Like I said before the guy was quite pleasant in his dealings with me.

Homeland

I still don't see the difference in using the park for any activity that doesn't infringe on anyone else. Whether it's croquet, badminton or hitting soft golf balls.

I'm not complaining about the employee, just complaining about the rule. Like I said before the guy was quite pleasant in his dealings with me.

Ok. I do see the difference and I think the employee was justified. Agree to disagree.

Monello

PREMO Member
Ok. I do see the difference and I think the employee was justified. Agree to disagree.

This works for me. I'll probably make a phone call and post how it goes. I'm sure there has to be some open space in the park I can use.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Divots? :shrug:

Most golfers fix their divots. Plus kids playing tear up the grass just as much. A dog digging in the ground will tear it up, too, and I know they allow dogs in the park.

The P&R guy didn't know, either, because when Monello asked him why he just kept saying it was the rules without citing a specific rule or why hitting golf balls wasn't allowed. If he'd said "divots" that would have at least been a valid answer.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Most golfers fix their divots. Plus kids playing tear up the grass just as much. A dog digging in the ground will tear it up, too, and I know they allow dogs in the park.

The P&R guy didn't know, either, because when Monello asked him why he just kept saying it was the rules without citing a specific rule or why hitting golf balls wasn't allowed. If he'd said "divots" that would have at least been a valid answer.

The P&R guys that tend the grounds that I've met, probably don't know what a divot is anyway. Hell, I had to look up the proper spelling and I've smacked a few balls myself.

It may be a power trip on his part. I can't really say.

I know I'd be surly if I had to go around and clean up after the soccer moms/dads that leave their trash on the bleachers and grounds when they collect there little darlings and head home to warm up a frozen entrée.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Here is an actual occurrence that happened at Myrtle Point Park. You know that little beach that people walk to and boats go? That one.
Well one day we stop by the beach by boat and anchor in the water. Boy is at the waters edge catching minnows with a really tiny hook and a bit of bait. Not hooking them, but pulling them out when they bit to the beach to put in a bucket. Kid is having a blast, he's 9. Well, up walks the afore mentioned "properly attired power tripper representing P&R" and says, "You can't be in the park without paying $5.00." I tell her I didn't come in through the gate but by boat, pointing at it not 20 feet out off the beach. "It doesn't matter" she says, "you must pay $5.00 or you will be forced to leave." My son then says, "Daddy, do we have to leave?" Well, the short of it is I shut her down and took the wind out of her sails by explaining that I wasn't in the county park of Myrtle Point, I was on a beach owned by the State of Maryland. I further explained that the county R&P does not own the land below the high tide mark. What R&P has is riparian rights to control assess to the beach, hence the $5.00. But the State “It is well established that the title to land under navigable water is in the State of Maryland, subject to the paramount right of the United States to protect navigation in the navigable waters." I parsed a lot of this to her. She would not have logical facts stop her, "I'll call the police if you don't pay and continue to stay here" she says. Do what you have to do I tell her and get my boy back to what he was doing.
She left, never heard from her again and no law man showed up. Also think about it, it wasn't like she was carrying a R&P receipt book. She could have been pocketing the money. So the story here is... Challenge, challenge, challenge. Fight for the little things because they can become the big things. Acquiescence, and blind compliance to perceived authority, has made a mess of things in this country. Grow a pair and stand your ground. Take nothing at face value. But do it in a polite manner.

Edit: Also, that day there were many other beach goers and maybe about six other boats.

Same thing happenedf to us last month. We went ahead and paid. My question is, how much are they paying a P&R employee to sit on the beach to collect monies that probably don't equal what he is paid for the day. :shrug:

kom526

I think the R&P employees do a far amount of damage to the fields when they are cutting the grass. We have complained several times after a cut about the scalping wheels digging trenches the length of the fields and we get a "wasn't us" as a reply. As far as cleaning up after games and practices; I know that on game days we have 2 field managers that walk the entire park to clean up and we email reminders to coaches and parents about keeping the areas clean. This has actually been a good season for us as far as cooperation from all participants.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Most golfers fix their divots.
That might apply to people who pay to play on a golf course. I'm not so sure the majority of those hitting balls would even be considered golfers, - a couple of clubs does not make you a golfer any more than a pool makes you a swimmer.

And once that divot is out, withiout propoer follow up care it's just a dead chunk of grass and dirt.