Coyote photographed in Lusby

warneckutz

I don't know why. I think part of it may be public panic avoidance. I earlier mentioned seeing one for a couple years where I goose hunt in Charles. When I got checked by a rabbit cop one day (actually one of many days) I mentioned it to him. He told me I was crazy and there were no coyotes in Charles. The same thing in Calvert when I've talked to them here.

Then again, I had one try to cite me for having an unplugged shotgun. The gun in question was an over/under. She had her citation book out and was getting ready to start writing when the training officer stepped in.

I figured not wanting to cause a panic... who knows...

warneckutz

Years ago, there was a bear spotted near the creek that runs through my property. I would have loved to see that!

boo-boo2.png

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

Don't forget that a furbearer permit is required to take a coyote. Even though it is open, unlimited, year-round, season on them.

Good point. There are a few exemptions, but generally, yes, you need a furbearer's permit if you plan on hunting coyotes themselves.

I don't know why. I think part of it may be public panic avoidance. I earlier mentioned seeing one for a couple years where I goose hunt in Charles. When I got checked by a rabbit cop one day (actually one of many days) I mentioned it to him. He told me I was crazy and there were no coyotes in Charles. The same thing in Calvert when I've talked to them here.

Then again, I had one try to cite me for having an unplugged shotgun. The gun in question was an over/under. She had her citation book out and was getting ready to start writing when the training officer stepped in.

:lol:I've only been stopped a few times by DNR. I messed up one time and left my plug out on accident. Ranger Rick shows up and gave me a warning. It was Thanksgiving morning on my annual goose hunt. I got lucky there.

Individual officers may not know, but DNR as an organization has known for some time.

Coyotes are a relatively new addition to local ecosystems, and were first documented in Maryland during 1972. Initial substantiated sightings occurred in Cecil, Frederick and Washington counties. Since that time population densities and occupied range have expanded incrementally and coyotes now occur statewide. Current trends appear to display a declining distribution gradient when proceeding in a west to east direction across the state. Highest densities are witnessed in western Maryland, and the lowest occur on the eastern shore.

Regulatory History

Prior to 1995 there was no mention of coyotes in Maryland statute or regulation and it was unclear what, if any, management options were permissible for this species. Realizing these inconsistencies, DNR supported legislation that provided for the legal classification of coyotes as a "Fur-Bearing Mammal", subject to several sunset clauses. This authorized the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to independently develop management strategies and harvest regulations for this species. Subsequent amendments prescribed certain management options to be instituted by DNR.

Specifically these amendments allow for the incidental take of coyotes while a hunter is legally pursuing other game species, and a year round harvest season by predator calling. The amendments further authorized DNR to establish a trapping season for coyotes with harvest regulations determined by DNR. Trapping seasons are established annually by regulation and are concurrent with fox trapping seasons in individual counties.

During the 2000 legislative session the General Assembly repealed the sunset clause provisions, thus affording the coyote permanent statutory classification as a "Fur-Bearing Mammal".
http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/hunt_trap/coyote.aspx