Crime Lab @ Tackle box this am

BernieP

Resident PIA
Maybe hiring an armed guard on off hours would help.

You would think by now they would have fixed the physical security and added some additional electronic surveillance and security.
Don't need an armed guard either. A dog and a night watchman.
Doesn't the sheriff have the Lexington Park substation? I'll skip the snide remarks.
But you would think they would make it a routine patrol .

Lights in the rear, cameras. That stuff isn't expensive. No reason they shouldn't have the perps on tape.

But there are reasons, but it would be speculation to think someone doesn't care enough to take steps.

glhs837

Power with Control
You would think by now they would have fixed the physical security and added some additional electronic surveillance and security.
Doesn't the sheriff have the Lexington Park substation? I'll skip the snide remarks.

Lights in the rear, cameras. That stuff isn't expensive. No reason they shouldn't have the perps on tape.

But there are reasons, but it would be speculation to think someone doesn't care enough to take steps.

Last time he spoke on the subject, he expressed that he had met his minimum legal requirement and didnt intend to make any changes. That was two robberies back, I think.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Went through the crime reports at the sheriff's blog for the past month, no report on Tackle Box.

Baker12

I was there at 7am the morning after. It took these idiots about 30 minutes to actually break in to the store, they took 4 or 5 guns, and the cops were waiting for them in the parking lot when they came out. Sounds like to me that it was pretty well secured and the cameras and security system proved to be very valuable. Not sure why everyone is bad mouthing the Tackle Box, other than several people here do nothing but bad mouth everything in the world

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was there at 7am the morning after. It took these idiots about 30 minutes to actually break in to the store, they took 4 or 5 guns, and the cops were waiting for them in the parking lot when they came out. Sounds like to me that it was pretty well secured and the cameras and security system proved to be very valuable. Not sure why everyone is bad mouthing the Tackle Box, other than several people here do nothing but bad mouth everything in the world

Excellent news. Brought the haters up short, I'm sure...

glhs837

Power with Control

If he's upped his game, that's great. Glad to hear it.

nutz

Our insurance company said absolutely not when I asked about a dog for the storage area.

glhs837

Power with Control

To be clear, the last time this happened, I think more than 40 handguns were stolen because they were able to break in easily through the cinder block walls and because the guns were in simple glass display cases, there were able to grab that many in a short period and get away in I think 5 minutes before the cops showed up. And the owners answer at the time was that it was too hard to secure that many weapons at the end of every day.

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/3684...harges-and-trafficking-contraband-cigarettes/

http://forums.somd.com/threads/142221-Tackle-Box-Gun-Cabinet-Cleaned-Out-in-Burglary

So, my question back to the crowd is that if it had not taken 30 minutes for them to gain entry, would the police still have been waiting for them?

black dog

Free America
To be clear, the last time this happened, I think more than 40 handguns were stolen because they were able to break in easily through the cinder block walls and because the guns were in simple glass display cases, there were able to grab that many in a short period and get away in I think 5 minutes before the cops showed up. And the owners answer at the time was that it was too hard to secure that many weapons at the end of every day.

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/3684...harges-and-trafficking-contraband-cigarettes/

http://forums.somd.com/threads/142221-Tackle-Box-Gun-Cabinet-Cleaned-Out-in-Burglary

What do you think gun stores should do with there gun inventory at the close of business?

Wishbone

78 months? Why not 78 years?

What reason is there to allow this ####bag back out into the public in 6 years?

glhs837

Power with Control
What do you think gun stores should do with there gun inventory at the close of business?

Securing them in some manner would be nice. I understand that removing each weapon and placing them into a safe or secure room would place a burden. I also understand that securing the cabinets they are left in shouldn't take too much effort. You cannot make anything theft proof, what you can do is take steps to slow down a potential thief so much that they either don't try, or if they do, chances are really good that they will get caught. Security operates in layers. If your building is easy to get into without tripping an door alarm, then add the layer elsewhere. Noise/shock sensors, PIR detectors, whatever.

Baker12

Considering these thieves got caught pretty quick, I'd say that the Tackle Box has improved since the last break in. The Tackle Box has struggled to stay afloat since the WalMart/Kmarts moved in, turning it into Fort Knox is probably pretty costly and would likely lead to its demise. Perhaps Ken Lamb should hire the armchair geniuses on this website to stay in business

black dog

Free America
Securing them in some manner would be nice. I understand that removing each weapon and placing them into a safe or secure room would place a burden. I also understand that securing the cabinets they are left in shouldn't take too much effort. You cannot make anything theft proof, what you can do is take steps to slow down a potential thief so much that they either don't try, or if they do, chances are really good that they will get caught. Security operates in layers. If your building is easy to get into without tripping an door alarm, then add the layer elsewhere. Noise/shock sensors, PIR detectors, whatever.

Their building isn't easy to break into... It's cinder block...you either have to use a sledge or drive a vehicle through the wall. It's a fishing,hunting goods store.
And it's not just a burden to move firearms twice a day, it incures damage to said firearms when constantly being moved not just from the owner but by employees.
The guns at the Sunoco in Callaway used to be stacked up in the cases, I don't know if he stores them in a vault at night or not.. Every handgun had scratch's the last time I was in there.
Where do you stop when loading up the safes each night? What's next cases of ammo, expensive fishing reel's...
It seems it would be easier to fix the problem ( doing fixed time in prison ) for stealing firearms instead of creating more work that is unnecessary.

black dog

Free America
Considering these thieves got caught pretty quick, I'd say that the Tackle Box has improved since the last break in. The Tackle Box has struggled to stay afloat since the WalMart/Kmarts moved in, turning it into Fort Knox is probably pretty costly and would likely lead to its demise. Perhaps Ken Lamb should hire the armchair geniuses on this website to stay in business

The problem that Ken has is the influx of new ffls that will do a transfer for 10 to 20 bucks on guns that they should stock or order in and make 50 to 250 bucks on.
Why would any gun store would transfer a new gun in for Penny's when they can order it in for a customer and make Dollars.
If all the gun stores in southern Maryland understood good business practices, they all would make good money.

glhs837

Power with Control

Again, Fort Know isn't the goal, slowing them down enough to make it either unpalatable to try, or make the chances of their apprehension greater, those are the goals. And if steps he took are indeed responsible for them getting caught this time, then kudos to him. If the alleged 30 minutes was instead due to them just being idiots, then he gets no credit. And we have no way to know which of those cases it is.

Their building isn't easy to break into... It's cinder block...you either have to use a sledge or drive a vehicle through the wall. It's a fishing,hunting goods store.
And it's not just a burden to move firearms twice a day, it incures damage to said firearms when constantly being moved not just from the owner but by employees.
The guns at the Sunoco in Callaway used to be stacked up in the cases, I don't know if he stores them in a vault at night or not.. Every handgun had scratch's the last time I was in there.
Where do you stop when loading up the safes each night? What's next cases of ammo, expensive fishing reel's...
It seems it would be easier to fix the problem ( doing fixed time in prison ) for stealing firearms instead of creating more work that is unnecessary.

As I recall, the last time, they did just that, sledged in enough blocks to climb in. And since they didn't come through the door, no alarm. As to cost, cameras that alert you when something moves into view and send you an email with the picture or video are pretty cheap these days, unlike 2008. And maybe he has them and that's what did the trick, in which case, again, kudos.

Baker12

from what I was told by one of the employees, the perps were young. Coupled with the likelihood that these "yoofs" were part of the Lex Park population that accounts for the majority of crimes, my guess is that we are dealing with several kids with IQs in the mid 70s, a criminal background, and zero positive familial figures...just a hunch

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
from what I was told by one of the employees, the perps were young. Coupled with the likelihood that these "yoofs" were part of the Lex Park population that accounts for the majority of crimes, my guess is that we are dealing with several kids with IQs in the mid 70s, a criminal background, and zero positive familial figures...just a hunch

Oh, my!

arnoldarena.jpg