Cruises

barncat

I'm starting my research on cruises, never been on one but hubby and I want to take a vacation late fall (October or November) by ourselves and have some fun. It seems Carnival is popular for fun and partying and the price is cheaper so it might be the winner. Anyone have any experiences on Carnival cruises and maybe have a ship they would recommend?

Also I have lots of questions. I read through the previous cruise threads and visited cruisecritic.com and am reading through stuff. I've learned so far that's it's easy to smuggle liquor onto the ships with you, which is a good thing because I normally have a heart attack when I buy a beer at an event and have to pay $5+ for one beer (I'm cheap). Is the buffet food included in your booking fee, or is that separate? I imagine eating at the on-board restaurants is an out-of-pocket expense, but I didn't know about the buffet.

We decided that we don't really plan on staying in the room much so an inside basic room is fine with us. We would rather spend our money on fun and activities. I'm leaning towards the Caribbean (east or west) and tend to get stir crazy when I'm not doing my normal hectic life so I don't want anymore then 5 days. From what I read on here, the Western Caribbean has ports that have more outdoorsy activities and the Eastern Caribbean is beachy. What's the weather like in the Caribbean's in October/November? We are waiting so late in the year because the baby is due in July and I want to have a little time to shed the baby weight.

Thanks for any and all info.

kelb

art imitating life
I'm starting my research on cruises, never been on one but hubby and I want to take a vacation late fall (October or November) by ourselves and have some fun. It seems Carnival is popular for fun and partying and the price is cheaper so it might be the winner. Anyone have any experiences on Carnival cruises and maybe have a ship they would recommend?

Also I have lots of questions. I read through the previous cruise threads and visited cruisecritic.com and am reading through stuff. I've learned so far that's it's easy to smuggle liquor onto the ships with you, which is a good thing because I normally have a heart attack when I buy a beer at an event and have to pay $5+ for one beer (I'm cheap). Is the buffet food included in your booking fee, or is that separate? I imagine eating at the on-board restaurants is an out-of-pocket expense, but I didn't know about the buffet.

We decided that we don't really plan on staying in the room much so an inside basic room is fine with us. We would rather spend our money on fun and activities. I'm leaning towards the Caribbean (east or west) and tend to get stir crazy when I'm not doing my normal hectic life so I don't want anymore then 5 days. From what I read on here, the Western Caribbean has ports that have more outdoorsy activities and the Eastern Caribbean is beachy. What's the weather like in the Caribbean's in October/November? We are waiting so late in the year because the baby is due in July and I want to have a little time to shed the baby weight.

Thanks for any and all info.

Oct Nov? Hurricane Season I believe.

G-Diddy

Carnival is VERY family oriented. We went on a Carnival cruise to the western Caribbean for DHs B'day and were very surprised how many families with small chaildren were also on the cruise. Since you're goin' childless, yoou may want to checkout another cruise line. There's plenty to doin' on the ship. All meals are included. Of course there are some things like the sushi bar that's extra. You don't pay as you go. You set up an account by depositing cash with the purser or by giving them a creditcard, then when you want a beer or something else not covered, you just let them swipe your room key card. Also, all cruises are about being on the ship. They usually are only in the ports of call for about 8 hours. So you really can't do too much. Hope this helps...:howdy:

lovinmaryland

Carnival is VERY family oriented. We went on a Carnival cruise to the western Caribbean for DHs B'day and were very surprised how many families with small chaildren were also on the cruise. Since you're goin' childless, yoou may want to checkout another cruise line. There's plenty to doin' on the ship. All meals are included. Of course there are some things like the sushi bar that's extra. You don't pay as you go. You set up an account by depositing cash with the purser or by giving them a creditcard, then when you want a beer or something else not covered, you just let them swipe your room key card. Also, all cruises are about being on the ship. They usually are only in the ports of call for about 8 hours. So you really can't do too much. Hope this helps...:howdy:

Family oriented as longs as the kids dont wander up to the topless sun deck :lol:

I have been on Carnival, Royal caribbean, & Holland America... I would say Royal Caribbean was the most family oriented and Carnival was more of a young party atmosphere....:yay:

Old Timer

If you are going childless, rather than a cruise, you may want to consider an all-inclusive couples only resort where you don't have to worry about the cost of the alcohol, food or mandatory tipping because it's all included in the cost. Only extras are spa services and excursions.

Nanny Pam

I did Carnival cruises before and had a blast. Yes I was an adult then, too. I'm just saying it was way too much fun. :yahoo: :yay:

G-Diddy

Family oriented as longs as the kids dont wander up to the topless sun deck :lol:

I have been on Carnival, Royal caribbean, & Holland America... I would say Royal Caribbean was the most family oriented and Carnival was more of a young party atmosphere....:yay:

I don't know if that happened, but there were plenty little ones and the only place Carnival enforced the adults only rule was a the kareoke bar.

G-Diddy

If you are going childless, rather than a cruise, you may want to consider an all-inclusive couples only resort where you don't have to worry about the cost of the alcohol, food or mandatory tipping because it's all included in the cost. Only extras are spa services and excursions.

I vote for this option....:buddies:

barncat

Is a couples only resort a social atmosphere? I really love my hubby and the idea of spending a week alone with him is nice, but I think we will have more fun in an atmosphere that promotes social activities and some drunk partying is what we are looking for, not quiet romantic time.

Last edited:

TRAVELWORX

Yes you are correct hurricane season is sept through to the end of nov. And with this being said that makes it the least expensive to cruise during these months. Recently Carnival has made many changes and are geared towards children, they have awsome programs for kids of all ages. If you are looking for a more adult oriented cruise i would recomend Royal Caribbean. All food is included except in the specialty resteraunts.

If you concider a party place that is all-inclusive try Cancun or Montego Bay Jamaica, if you go to a couples resort that is exactly what you are getting... they have great night clubs but not like you will find in a non-couples resort

Just some friendly advice from your local Travel agent, I hope you find what you are lookin for and have a wonderful vacation... If you take a cruise or trip during hurricane season find out the emergancy hurricane plain for the cruise line or tour company you are traveling with, this is very important to know. I hope this info has been usefull... God Bless

Elle

Happy Camper!
We decided that we don't really plan on staying in the room much so an inside basic room is fine with us.

We did 9 nights with 3 people in an inside cabin and don't regret not splurging for the window or balcony. Granted if we had something to compare it to maybe we would have minded but the money we saved was worth it since we didn't know any better.

I can't say enough great things about the cruisecrittic forum - we got so many great ideas from the people there. We even did a special meet & mingle with some people we met online that was catered by the ship and the cruise director showed up and gave us all little gifts.