Cypress Vine...

T

toppick08

Last call for takers.....I'm rippin' it out tomorrow....Pm me if you want some seeds...
:yay:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Is it too soon to start my seeds indoors in some pots for spring planting? Also, is there anything I need to do to the seeds before planting them (e.g., soak, cut, etc)? :shrug:

I was thinking of starting them in small pots inside a sunny window to get them off to a good start before moving them outside when the weather warms up.

T

toppick08

Is it too soon to start my seeds indoors in some pots for spring planting? Also, is there anything I need to do to the seeds before planting them (e.g., soak, cut, etc)? :shrug:

I was thinking of starting them in small pots inside a sunny window to get them off to a good start before moving them outside when the weather warms up.

Do it now............plant 1/8 " deep........keep moist........they take a while to germinate.

Plant as is.....no cutting required....

crabcake

Do it now............plant 1/8 " deep........keep moist........they take a while to germinate.

Plant as is.....no cutting required....

:yay: I have 7 small pots in a sunny sill to get them started now. I figure I'll divvy up the seeds among the pots in hopes I'll have 7 plants ready to move outside in a month or so. I'll report on their progress periodically. :smile:

crabcake

Should I cover the small pots with saran wrap for a sort of "greenhouse" effect, since they're by a window getting southern sun exposure? I could poke a couple of small holes in the saran for breath-ability. :tap:

T

toppick08

Should I cover the small pots with saran wrap for a sort of "greenhouse" effect, since they're by a window getting southern sun exposure? I could poke a couple of small holes in the saran for breath-ability. :tap:
yes.........

crabcake

Here are a couple pictures of my baby cypress vines. Mind you, I have seven pots, each full of these seeds. :yahoo:

Attachments

• cypress vine babies.jpg
    cypress vine babies.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 53
  • cypress vine babies2.jpg
    cypress vine babies2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 67

crabcake

Ipomoea quamoclit...

Folks, this thing is a monster, and the hummers have really enjoyed it..:yay:

You weren't kidding when you said this thing is a monster. It has taken over the entire back fence line, as well as choked out the 10'-tall sunflowers I had growing there. Once upon a time, there was a bird house back there. I hope the babies escaped before the vine chewed it up! :lol:

One point to note, though, is that this specific variety is actually called "Cardinal Climber" (ipomea sloteri) as opposed to cypress vine (ipomea quamoclit) though it's noted to be frequently confused with CV. I've reserved seeds from the vines I have going apesh!t on the fence this year from Toppick's "mothership" so that next year, I can pass them to other fences in the yard and have the entire back yard surrounded with these beautiful green plants with the bright red flowers. And you were right ... the hummers LOVE this thing!

Attachments

• Cardinal Climber1.jpg
    Cardinal Climber1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 71