Damn you SMECO

I don't think it should be optional.
Since the cost of building the infrastructure to support the peak loads is paid by everybody. People who opt out should have their service discontinued.

Yep paid for by our taxes. Just like schools. I don't use them yet I pay for them for other peoples kids. I don't use the County parks, but I pay for them too. Anything else?

BOP

Households that had our previous load management equipment received an opt-out letter for our CoolSentry program. We discontinued the previous load management program and the corresponding credits in December 2010 and replaced it with the new and more effective CoolSentry program. If you received this letter and do not want the CoolSentry DCU equipment to replace the previous load management equipment, please call 866-921-9474 or send back the written reply informing us that you do not wish to participate. (The CoolSentry DCU is installed outside by the air conditioner.)

Customer-members who did not have the previous load management system and who did not receive the opt-out correspondence, do not have to opt out of the program, but they can choose to sign up if they are interested in receiving a SMECO CoolSentry digital programmable thermostat with installation, valued at $300, and up to $50 in annual thank-you credits on your electric bills. You can sign up at www.SMECO.coop/CoolSentry or by calling 866-921-9474.

If you need to contact us about the CoolSentry program: Call 1-866-921-9474, if you would like to speak with a Contact Center representative, please call 1-888-440-3311.

Would that be the free thermostat that catches fire if you don't take the batteries out?

BOP

Since the cost of building the infrastructure to support the peak loads is paid by everybody. People who opt out should have their service discontinued.

Well, aren't you precious?

:smack:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
You're a moron! I pay for my electricity just like everyone else therefore I have a right to decline having anyone control anything on my home. :smack:

PrepH4U

Nope. SMECO is not a government agency.

Would you want to live in a country with no public education?

No I would not, BUT seeing that we all are paying for it maybe we should make sure that all the children take advantage of the "free" education. They should all make straight A's if not, they are disqualified and should be kicked out. How does that sound? hmmm Same reasoning that you should be agreeable with.
Oh and big brother will be by your house to install complimentary camera sensors to monitor your obedience to the rules of the government. No need to contact them this is a service that COULD possibly benefit you. :whistle:

babycorn

They installed a cool sentry unit on my house even though I never asked for it. Over the last two years Ive gotten quite a few cards asking me to sign up for it and kept throwing them away. They told me you have to opt out i the last round of letters they sent out, I guess they have to trick people into getting it.

Shame on you SMECO, you will be getting a bill for the holes in my siding.

I dont ever remember getting that card in the mail.. but was home the other day.. watched the SMECO truck go to a few neighbors house .. walk to the door.. ring door bell.. when nobody answered they went to their truck and began installing the devices on everyones house! At first i thought something had broke.. but then dude was ringing my door bell.. he went through the "talk" about the device.. i told him i didnt ask for it.. and i didnt want it.. he made me sign some sheet saying i declined ! Well, the very next day i look out to see a SMECO truck leave my drive way.. AND THAT DAMN THING IS ON MY HOUSE !!! :cds: So how do i get it off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Am I the only one who isn't disturbed by Cool Sentry? I didn't return any of their cards one way or the other, they installed it anyway, and I'm like....meh. Fine with me.

C

czygvtwkr

Households that had our previous load management equipment received an opt-out letter for our CoolSentry program. We discontinued the previous load management program and the corresponding credits in December 2010 and replaced it with the new and more effective CoolSentry program. If you received this letter and do not want the CoolSentry DCU equipment to replace the previous load management equipment, please call 866-921-9474 or send back the written reply informing us that you do not wish to participate. (The CoolSentry DCU is installed outside by the air conditioner.)

Customer-members who did not have the previous load management system and who did not receive the opt-out correspondence, do not have to opt out of the program, but they can choose to sign up if they are interested in receiving a SMECO CoolSentry digital programmable thermostat with installation, valued at $300, and up to $50 in annual thank-you credits on your electric bills. You can sign up at www.SMECO.coop/CoolSentry or by calling 866-921-9474.

If you need to contact us about the CoolSentry program: Call 1-866-921-9474, if you would like to speak with a Contact Center representative, please call 1-888-440-3311.

I have never had the previous load management system, shouldn't your tech have seen that? I have lived in the house for five years and never signed up for it. If I did have it before then SMECO owes me some credits for it because I never got any.

C

czygvtwkr

Am I the only one who isn't disturbed by Cool Sentry? I didn't return any of their cards one way or the other, they installed it anyway, and I'm like....meh. Fine with me.

What I am upset about is getting a bunch of cards for it over the last couple years and throwing them away cause I didn't want it. Then all of a sudden they came and installed it anyway, the wording of that letter makes me thing they tricked people into getting it.

lets say I send you a letter asking you if I want to install some cheap plastic bling on your car, you throw it away, I keep sending you letters. Finally I send you one that says Im going to install it unless you tell me not to, you think its just more junk mail and throw it away, then all of a sudden you go outside and you have all this plastic bling on your car.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

If I can afford to pay my own bill, it should be no one else's business what I want! I can manage my own life, if your incapable let SMECO do it for you! :coffee:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
What's the big deal with running the washer, dryer, and dishwasher at the same time and during certain times?

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
I'm a little confused about what they are installing by your outside heat pump unit. According to the Smeco web site, Cool Sentry only involves them replacing your thermostat with a programmable one. This requires them to come in your house and makes no mention of an external unit:

SMECO CoolSentry Programmable Thermostat and Installation

Can someone who has had one of these things installed take some pics and post them -- especially if you can get a shot of any manufacturer name and model.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Your freind is wrong, They DO NOT turn your A/C Off.... They adjust how the compressor cylces on and off. It only affects the tempature in the house by a few degrees for a few hours.

We have been on it since inception never noticed a differance( except getting the credit on my bill)
Well, since the compressor is responsible for generating the cool air, and they "adjust how the compressor cylces on and off," they are in fact turning your A/C on and off.

You can't make a heat pump more efficient just by putting a programmable thermostat on it. You save energy by turning it off.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Customer-members who did not have the previous load management system and who did not receive the opt-out correspondence, do not have to opt out of the program...www.SMECO.coop/CoolSentry or by calling 866-921-9474.
I've always considered opt-out policies to be sleazy, and I'm being generous with that term. People who have opt-out programs know they will get far more "participation" than they would with an opt-in program simply because many people will not take note or take time to opt-out. Conversely, only the people who really want the product will opt-in, and several of them may completely miss the notice.

Whether it is the credit card company who requires me to opt out of marketing mail, the spammer who requires me to opt out of their virtual junk mail, or the power company, it is equally distasteful.

Last edited: