Dept. of Education to monitor chatter, Facebook

E

EmptyTimCup

I know you're butthurt that Glenn Beck and The Daily Caller were either mis-informed or lied to you.

Oh yes Andrew you bent me over the rail and corn hole me with your stunning logic and facts .........

:1bdz:

E

EmptyTimCup

Teachers and administrators do not surf Facebook and My Space. There are too many other things that need to be done during the day. Most school systems have blocking software that blocks social media sites (such as Myspace and Facebook). In my district, an Administrator or Teacher couldn't get to either of those sites on a school computer if they tried.

well then how can you be held responsible for preventing bullying ....... :whistle:

like kids tell you everything ......... but bet your bottom dollar someone, somewhere will SUE, because well ya should have known .........

:popcorn:

E

EmptyTimCup

I realize Andrew you work for the school system and you think you know what the hell is going on ..........

The agency’s threats, which are delivered in a so-called “Dear Colleague” letter,” have the support of White House officials, including President Barack Obama, who held a Mar. 10 White House meeting to promote the initiative as a federal “anti-bullying” policy.

The letter says federal officials have reinterpreted the civil-rights laws that require school principals to curb physical bullying, as well as racist and sexist speech, that take place within school boundaries. Under the new interpretation, principals and their schools are legally liable if they fail to curb “harassment” of students, even if it takes place outside the school, on Facebook or in private conversation among a few youths.

“Harassing conduct may take many forms, including verbal acts and name-calling; graphic and written statements, which may include use of cell phones or the Internet… it does not have to include intent to harm, be directed at a specific target, or involve repeated incidents [but] creates a hostile environment … [which can] limit a student’s ability to participate in or benefit from the services, activities, or opportunities offered by a school,” according to the far-reaching letter, which was completed Oct. 26 by Russlynn Ali, who heads the agency’s civil rights office.

E

EmptyTimCup

mostly refers back to "The Blaze" and Dally Caller ....... but this was new food for thought .....

Government "Anti-Bullying" Overreach Hits Facebook

The West Virginia Gazette noted in February that the schools’ extension of anti-bullying policies to school busses and stops, text messages, online postings, and other electronic communications reveals stark government overreach:

“Opponents call the bill an overreach by government. They say off-campus bullying is best left to parents to handle.”

Likewise, Robert Holland, senior fellow for education policy at The Heartland Institute, asserts that there is no necessity for federal meddling in local disciplinary issues.

“The U.S. Department of Education-the least popular of all federal agencies according to a recent Pew poll-should not intervene,” said Holland. “Well-trained classroom teachers, working in cooperation with parents, should discipline students who engage in bulling or other misbehavior. Local school boards should spell out disciplinary policies clearly. If a school fails to maintain sound discipline, parents should be free to choose a better school for their children.”

Furthermore, Holland contends that the Department of Education is the last agency from whom any parent or student should seek assistance:

Since its founding as a political payoff from Jimmy Carter to the National Education Association, this lavishly funded Cabinet-level department has failed to solve any problem is has addressed, an example being the minority achievement gap, and indeed has often made it harder for schools to succeed.

Ironically, Holland refers to the DOE’s overreach in this matter is “federal bullying.”

Instead of the regularly scheduled school bullying summits, Holland contends, “We ought to be holding summits on dismantling this bureaucratic monstrosity and returning power to the people, as opposed to pursuing yet another politically driven agenda.”

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
well then how can you be held responsible for preventing bullying ....... :whistle:

like kids tell you everything ......... but bet your bottom dollar someone, somewhere will SUE, because well ya should have known .........

:popcorn:

There are ways to prevent bullying without negative reinforcement ya'know?

I realize Andrew you work for the school system and you think you know what the hell is going on ..........

I haven't worked for the public school system for two years. :shrug:

mostly refers back to "The Blaze" and Dally Caller ....... but this was new food for thought .....

Government "Anti-Bullying" Overreach Hits Facebook

You're going in circles. The articles you posted were dis-proven as either ignorant to the facts or outright lies (likely both). So, you link to a different article which cites the same exact articles you posted as it's references.

You can post 100 articles saying "The Department of Education has ordered schools to monitor Facebook for cyber-bullying" but it doesn't make it true.

As for the possibility of a school being sued (ans losing in court) for not preventing cyber-bullying, well, journalists don't write articles that might be true two-three years down the road.

Mongo53

Am I'm the only one that noticed that the article posted the source at the bottom, "The Daily Caller?

So Glenn Beck reported the Daily Caller article in 2 spots, his Personal WebSite with a link to his news website. BUT both had a link to the original article independent of Glenn Beck.

Yes, MediaMatters.org and others use tapes and videos, and it shows how dishonest they are that they have this material but still get it so incredibly wrong.

Why don't you ask Harry Reid, if you can find him under all the egg he has on his face for running with the MediaMatters.org story about Rush calling our troops phooney troops.

Yep, MediaMatters.org has him on tape saying that, and they wrote a huge story about it, right up to the spot where they stopped the tape. Because Rush went on in the next few seconds to explain exactly what he meant. And when you hear the tape in its entire context its impossible to miss what his exact meaning was, no matter how incompetent you are.

Strategically using only snipets and edits of tapes and video, you can be extremely disfactual and that is exactly what they do.

DipStick

Am I'm the only one that noticed that the article posted the source at the bottom, "The Daily Caller?

So Glenn Beck reported the Daily Caller article in 2 spots, his Personal WebSite with a link to his news website. BUT both had a link to the original article independent of Glenn Beck.

Yes, MediaMatters.org and others use tapes and videos, and it shows how dishonest they are that they have this material but still get it so incredibly wrong.

Why don't you ask Harry Reid, if you can find him under all the egg he has on his face for running with the MediaMatters.org story about Rush calling our troops phooney troops.

Yep, MediaMatters.org has him on tape saying that, and they wrote a huge story about it, right up to the spot where they stopped the tape. Because Rush went on in the next few seconds to explain exactly what he meant. And when you hear the tape in its entire context its impossible to miss what his exact meaning was, no matter how incompetent you are.

Strategically using only snipets and edits of tapes and video, you can be extremely disfactual and that is exactly what they do.

Again, I've called out the "journalism" of The Daily Caller. They quote only a piece of the letter in a part of their "article" that is unrelated to the general point they were trying to make. And, instead of posting a link to the publicly available document, they jump right in to analysis of the text that does not exist in the document.

The Daily Caller is saying that the Department of Education is demanding Principals monitor facebook. They even say facebook is oh-so-happy about this. Then to prove their point, they quote the part of the document that says in school bullying and harrassment should be dealt with (which doesn't really prove their point, but hey, we quoted something therefor everything we've posted is true).

Glenn Beck lost any credibility he had with me years ago when he said NBC News was a communist organization because their global broadcast headquarters are located on Rockefeller Plaza (so is FOX News' headquarters, guess Beck forgot he could see 30 Rock from his office window:whistle:).

DipStick

James O'Keefe is placed on a throne and made out to be a hero of some sort because he did the exact same thing (down to the part where he didn't walk in to ACORN dressed as a pimp, he wore a shirt and tie and they called the police on him:killingme). But, like most things in modern American media, the entire truth didn't matter. ACORN's gone. All their employees are unemployed.

Just like, hypothetical, an edited videotape of Glenn Beck saying "black people are murderers" would get him fired on the spot even though the full video might say "That's just as asinine as saying black people are murderers."

Mongo53

James O'Keefe is placed on a throne and made out to be a hero of some sort because he did the exact same thing (down to the part where he didn't walk in to ACORN dressed as a pimp, he wore a shirt and tie and they called the police on him:killingme). But, like most things in modern American media, the entire truth didn't matter. ACORN's gone. All their employees are unemployed.

Just like, hypothetical, an edited videotape of Glenn Beck saying "black people are murderers" would get him fired on the spot even though the full video might say "That's just as asinine as saying black people are murderers."
What James O'Keefe did is NO different than what 60 minutes and the rest of MSM does, except 60min and ABC news have been sued for slander and lost big time, because there was no denying they manipulated the facts and lied about their subject. How are the nuisance law suites going against O'Keefe.

O'Keefe made visits to multiple Acorn locations, with varying results, but you talk about one of the visits, when Acorn was on to him, like it was the only visit. That's NOT the whole story is it?

Besides, O'Keefe just uncovered what ACORN has been accused of for years, but the Liberals refused to believe it, demagogued conservatives that complained and the media ignored it and did nothing to investigate it, even after report after report of obvious wrong doing, they just accepted Acorns version of the story.

Your NOT arguing O'Keefe was just doing the same thing as MediaMatters.org are you? That the Acorn employees never did anything wrong? That O'Keefe just took them out of context? Your last statement certainly seems like you are?

Mongo53

Again, I've called out the "journalism" of The Daily Caller. They quote only a piece of the letter in a part of their "article" that is unrelated to the general point they were trying to make. And, instead of posting a link to the publicly available document, they jump right in to analysis of the text that does not exist in the document.

The Daily Caller is saying that the Department of Education is demanding Principals monitor facebook. They even say facebook is oh-so-happy about this. Then to prove their point, they quote the part of the document that says in school bullying and harrassment should be dealt with (which doesn't really prove their point, but hey, we quoted something therefor everything we've posted is true).

Glenn Beck lost any credibility he had with me years ago when he said NBC News was a communist organization because their global broadcast headquarters are located on Rockefeller Plaza (so is FOX News' headquarters, guess Beck forgot he could see 30 Rock from his office window:whistle:).
Oh, I agree the article over reacted, and I have the same complaint about the MSM and especially the leftist gotcha criticism media. I've looked up the poles that nhboy/nonno posts articles about, that don't link to the poll and shown the data and how it was manipulated and does NOT show anything of the kind that they are claiming and going off about.

But if that is your complaint, you should be totally disgusted with the MSM and leftist gotcha outlets that do it 100 times worse?

Oh, Glenn Beck, did he really claim NBC News was communist? OR did he show the Communist and Fascist symbolism in the Rockefeller center artwork? He does talk about how Rockefeller was a progressive and although he has a point, I think he takes it too far, especially on his TV show. Do you have a reference for this? Cause I remember the show your talking about, and I think he takes his point about communist symbolism in art and Rockefeller's trying to influence the future too far, I do NOT remember him claiming NBC News or anyone working at Rockefeller Center was Communist. Are you doing the same thing as MediaMatters.org?

Have you ever been to Rockefeller Center, I was struck by the suggestiveness of the art work, but I don't think Beck is right in all the points he was making about the symbols in that and other things and progressives.

Last edited: