Did God tell Elon to build a spacecraft?

seekeroftruth

Genesis 6:9 This is the account of Noah and his family.
Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God. 10 Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth.
11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. 14 So make yourself an ark of cypress wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide and thirty cubits high. 16 Make a roof for it, leaving below the roof an opening one cubit high all around. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks. 17 I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish. 18 But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife and your sons’ wives with you. 19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. 20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive. 21 You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them.”
22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him.
Here's the link to the published commentary on these verses.

The earth was going to "hell in a handbasket". God had infinite options. After all, He is God.

He could throw the whole project earth away... explode it from within... or slam a couple moons or planets into it... but instead, God decided to keep the earth and one starter family to "replant".

When God was sculpting Noah... Did He say "you're the one I'll choose if I have to wipe the planet clean"? God knows the future, so He knew that Noah would be a good human... genetically clean, according to the commentary... and Noah wouldn't come with a lot of "hoot and holler" to clean up. Noah was a righteous sort. He tried to do what was right. Noah wasn't the violent sort. He didn't beat his wife and kids. I don't think Noah would have spit at his neighbors. Noah at least tried to play nice with others.

God told Noah how to build the boat. According to the commentary, and a couple of WWII fighter pilots, the boat is still sitting where it lit when the waters of the flood receded. The boat is reported to be sitting on the side of Mount Ararat. A boat is sitting on the side of a mountain... that was built in the desert... and haters doubt the flood... Ah ha ha.

God told Noah to gather species to save. God saved quite a few humans. Noah's family consisted of Noah, his wife, his three sons, and their three wives. God had Noah save two of every creature, but Noah got to bring his whole family. It's nice that his family didn't have him put to death for being insane. I mean who builds a boat in the middle of the desert... especially a boat so big it can be sited by pilots thousands of years later.

It's a good thing Noah wasn't one of those Nephilim! The boat would have to be so big it could be spotted from space, right?

The world was mean. People were hateful. Hateful humans would kill each other off. So, rather than having to re-sculpt the human race, God decided to keep the best example He could muster and washed the planet clean.

I wonder, how many of the humans, who were washed away in the flood, would have declared that God doesn't exist?

I wonder, how many of the humans, who were drowned, shook their fists at the God that doesn't exist?

I wonder, how did it feel, being in that boat, with all the drowning animals and humans screaming for help?

How mean was the earth? How much meaner does the earth have to get today, to match the violence that caused God to tell Noah to build a boat?

How violent can the earth get?

Did God tell Elon to build a spacecraft?

:coffee:

CPUSA

Maybe ask Elon?
I mean, it isn't like he's been dead for 4000 years and his story is a part of a larger story...
He's still here & can answer these questions...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's hard to believe that in all the world - nay, the universe - Noah was the only righteous man. Especially since not long after the flood, Noah got drunk and sprawled out naked, his son saw him, so Noah cursed not his son and not himself for his drunken irresponsibility, but his grandson Canaan who had nothing to do with any of it.

:crazy:

Then you have to believe that all humans and animals then descended from one set of progenitors and inbred from there, which basic science teaches us may be possible but is a terrible idea genetically. Of course, that would also explain a lot..... 🤔

So I've never really liked the story of Noah. It could use a rewrite because the story as presented by the Bible is pretty much impossible.

seekeroftruth

It's hard to believe that in all the world - nay, the universe - Noah was the only righteous man. Especially since not long after the flood, Noah got drunk and sprawled out naked, his son saw him, so Noah cursed not his son and not himself for his drunken irresponsibility, but his grandson Canaan who had nothing to do with any of it.

Then you have to believe that all humans and animals then descended from one set of progenitors and inbred from there, which basic science teaches us may be possible but is a terrible idea genetically. Of course, that would also explain a lot..... 🤔

So I've never really liked the story of Noah. It could use a rewrite because the story as presented by the Bible is pretty much impossible.
Exactly... but if Noah was the best God had to go with.... What does that say about how bad things really were?

There are two more chapters in this Noah story... before we get to the family living in a cave.

Also... God didn't cure them of their sins. They would continue to do whatever it was they did. If they were thieves... they would be thieves when the boat lit on the side of the mountain. If they were gay... the gay gene would carry through. If they had cancer genes... those genes would transfer through. If they lusted.... you get the picture.

That's why I said.... Noah was tolerable. To me, that speaks volumes about the state of mankind when the flood wiped them out.

Remember... this is the story of the family of Jesus... so, Jesus, through Mary, got the Noah genes too... and He had to deal with that.

Oh yeah... there were three wives... so that helped out the gene pool... right? At least there was a little chance for the future.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's why I said.... Noah was tolerable. To me, that speaks volumes about the state of mankind when the flood wiped them out.

My problem with that is that God is supposed to be perfect, so why wouldn't He create something perfect? He's either perfect or He's not. So God is either not perfect or even close; or He created man specifically to be a despicable ignorant predatory scourge. If it's the latter, now one must ask why He would do that.

Oh yeah... there were three wives... so that helped out the gene pool... right? At least there was a little chance for the future.

Right but picture it: you and your husband, your three sons and their wives are what will be repopulating the earth. The sons and their wives have children, and who will those children procreate with? Either their siblings or cousins. Or aunts/uncles or parents, but let's not get too gross with it....

So they procreate with their first cousins, and who will those kids grow up to procreate with? That's keeping it in the family a little too close, and we have seen throughout history and even in the present day what happens genetically when you don't inject some fresh blood into a family line.

Also the animals - everyone should know that you can't mate sibling animals or even too many cousins. People who breed animals know that it's a recipe for genetic disaster.

Which brings us to Adam and Eve, who had an unspecified number of children. Who did they procreate with? Clearly each other. Cain became a wanderer and started another tribe - did he take his sisterwife with him? He must have because it's not like he could meet chicks at a bar - there weren't any. It doesn't say how old Cain and Abel were when their sibling rivalry ended in death, but we "know" that Cain had children and descendants, as did Seth. Abel has no descendants that are mentioned. So were they children when their story came about? Or adults and Abel's descendants weren't worth mentioning? Or he was a late bloomer and didn't have any? Or he wasn't faster than his sisters?

I don't claim to have any answers. Only questions.

seekeroftruth

Consider this scenario.... God saw the earth getting out of control... so, He kept the tolerable Noah... washed off the earth... and when the earth was dried out sufficiently, Noah's boat was back on solid earth... Then He got back to work on making upgraded humans to help repopulate the earth... without destroying the product.

I think the "choice" part is what makes man so fallible.

God is good at evolution. He kept Noah around like we save some wheat seeds. Never know when you might have a reason to graft it in, right? Where did genetic engineering come from?

Like I keep saying... I really don't have a clue.

Noah is just a minor character in the Bible... I think he symbolizes God's willingness to work with warped individuals.

It seems that if we were all perfect... life would be boring.

AND... Morons like Noah are in the same family as the Messiah. We all have black sheep in the family. We all have relatives that everyone gossips about. Noah was one of those.

Oh, and Methuselah who lived for over 900 years... as well as another guy who was the first bigamist... are Cain's kids... and grandkids... etc.

I bet Noah had to be as rich as Elon to afford that boat of his. That's why I thought about Elon.

I really don't have a clue... I heard it's better if when you see the word "God" you substitute "Higher Power". But that's the old "friends of Bill W" me from back in AOL days... when handidoll was active... lol

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It seems that if we were all perfect... life would be boring.

See, and I wouldn't be bored at all. I get worn out with thieves and cutthroats, not nice people living well. I'm tired of the wicked flourishing and bad things happening to good people. I would be content if people were at least morally perfect, at least most of the time. A little slippy here and there, then back on track. Your kids sass you, but they don't rob, rape, and kill old women. The guy on the street is rude, but doesn't cut your throat. Your woman friends talk smack behind your back, not beat and starve their children.

I'm pretty much over imperfection and ready for something else.

seekeroftruth

god.jpg

This is a picture my daughter drew for me in Sunday School when she was about 8 years old.

Kinnakeet

You b

you believe all this from a book no one can prove is true

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You b

you believe all this from a book no one can prove is true

I'm a confirmed atheist. Not even an agnostic - legit atheist.

That said, I am interested in a number of pop cultural phenomena and religion happens to be one of them. I'm not hostile toward believers, I'm simply interested in what and why they believe. Like it or not, religion is a major factor in our society and I feel like everyone should have a working knowledge of Christianity and the Bible just like they have a working knowledge of how government is supposed to work.

And THAT said, nobody needs to "prove" the Bible is real. That's why it's called "faith".