Did you know.........zoning law??

CountryLady

luvmyponies
http://www.stmarysmd.com/docs/PermitsFAQ.pdf

Pay particularly close attention to FAQ's # 5, 6, 18

FAQ #5: Do I need a permit to build a barn?
A building permit is not required to construct an agricultural building for agricultural purposes if the structure is outside the Critical Area. The building must comply with required setbacks of at least 5 feet from the side and rear property lines (CZO Schedule 32.1 footnote 4) and be separated from all other structures by at least 10 feet (CZO Section 51.2.4.c). It may not be located in the required front yard setback. It must be located at least 10 feet away from a septic system/easement and at least 15 feet away from any well. Septic and well setbacks may be reduced by the Health Department in
some circumstances. An Environmental permit is required to construct an agricultural building if the structure is to be located in the Critical Area.
A private stable is considered an agricultural building for permitting purposes.
Related Issues
The maximum allowable height of a detached accessory structure is 40 feet in most zoning districts (CZO Section 51.2.4.b and Schedule 32.1).
Any electrical work requires a permit and must be done by a St. Mary’s County Master Electrician.
Revised 9/14/10
This information is provided as a service to the customers of the Department of Land Use and Growth Management. Our responses to questions are based on the St. Mary’s County Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Ordinance as well as other agency guidelines which are subject to revision from time to time. The information is intended to be a general guide for typical projects but may not apply in every case. References are provided should the applicant wish to obtain further information from the appropriate
ordinance. The following abbreviations will apply to the ordinance reference: CZO = Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance; SO = Subdivision Ordinance.
P.O. Box 653, Governmental Center 23150 Leonard Hall Drive, Leonardtown, MD 20650 PHONE: 301-475-4200 X 1500, FAX: 301-475-4635, St. Mary's County Government

FAQ #6: How many animals may I have on my property?
Our zoning ordinance does not regulate the number of animals kept for agricultural
activities. However, animal husbandry operations must maintain adequate fencing or
other means of confinement (CZO Section 51.3.3.a.1).
Animals kept for personal enjoyment are not regulated by the zoning ordinance Stables
are permitted in the RPD, RSC, RL-T, RNC, VMX and TMX.
Related Issues
Commercial enterprises such as kennels and equestrian facilities require site plan and/or
permit approval
(CZO Section 51.3.10, 11, and 41).
Revised 9/14/10
This information is provided as a service to the customers of the Department of Land Use and Growth Management. Our responses to
questions are based on the St. Mary’s County Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Ordinance as well as other agency
guidelines which are subject to revision from time to time. The information is intended to be a general guide for typical projects but
may not apply in every case. References are provided should the applicant wish to obtain further information from the appropriate
ordinance. The following abbreviations will apply to the ordinance reference: CZO = Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance; SO =
Subdivision Ordinance.
P.O. Box 653, Governmental Center 23150 Leonard Hall Drive, Leonardtown, MD 20650
PHONE: 301-475-4200 X 1500, FAX: 301-475-4635, St. Mary's County Government

FAQ #18: Can I have a horse on my property?
Horses are regulated by our zoning ordinance only with respect to their shelter. A private stable is described as an accessory structure, not related to the ordinary operation of a farm, for housing hoofed animals (CZO Schedule 50.4 Use Type 123).
A private stable is a permitted accessory use in the RPD, RSC, RL-T, RNC, VMX, and TMX zoning districts (same reference as above).
Related Issues A building permit is not required to construct a stable as it is considered an agricultural building. However, an environmental permit is required to build a stable in the Critical Area. Plumbing and/or electric do require permits and must be installed by the appropriate licensed contractor.
See Use Type 10, 11 and 41 (Animal Boarding, Stable) for commercial applications. Revised 9-14-10
Note: This information is provided as a service to the customers of the Department of Land Use and Growth Management. Our responses to questions are based on the St. Mary’s County Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Ordinance as well as other agency guidelines which are subject to revision from time to time. The information is intended to be a general guide for typical projects but may not apply in every case. References are provided should the applicant wish to obtain further information from the appropriate ordinance. The following abbreviations will apply to the ordinance reference: CZO = Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance;
SO = Subdivision Ordinance. P.O. Box 653, Governmental Center 23150 Leonard Hall Drive, Leonardtown, MD 20650 PHONE: 301-475-4200 X 1500, FAX: 301-475-4635, St. Mary's County Government

Last edited:

DeeCee

A horse of course!
http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/docs/LUGMFAQ.pdf

FAQ #6: How many animals may I have on my property? Revised 2/19/13
Our zoning ordinance does not regulate the number of animals kept for agricultural activities. However, animal husbandry operations must maintain adequate fencing or other means of confinement (CZO Section 51.3.3.a.1).

Horses are not allowed in the following zones: RSC, RCL, RH, RNC, RMX, DMX, CMX, CC, I, OBP,

Related Issues
Commercial enterprises such as kennels and equestrian facilities require site plan and/or permit approval

FAQ #18: Can I have a horse on my property? Revised 2-15-13
Horses are regulated by our zoning ordinance as equestrian facilities. A permit is required.

An equestrian facility is any building, structure or land area that is used for an equestrian activity or event.

An equestrian activity is the care, breeding, boarding, rental, riding or training of horses or the teaching of equestrian skills.

An equestrian event is the competition, exhibition of other display of equestrian skills.
Horses are allowed in the following zones subject to permit approval: RPD, RL-T, RL,VMX, TMX.

Horses are not allowed in the following zones: RSC, RCL, RH, RNC, RMX, DMX, CMX, CC, I, OBP,

Note: This information is provided as a service to the customers of the Department of Land Use and Growth Management. Our
responses to questions are based on the St. Mary’s County Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Ordinance as well as
other agency guidelines which are subject to revision from time to time. The information is intended to be a general guide for typical
projects but may not apply in every case. References are provided should the applicant wish to obtain further information from the
appropriate ordinance. The following abbreviations will apply to the ordinance reference: CZO = Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance;
SO = Subdivision Ordinance.

P.O. Box 653, Governmental Center 23150 Leonard Hall Drive, Leonardtown, MD 20650

Last edited:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/docs/LUGMFAQ.pdf

FAQ #6: How many animals may I have on my property? Revised 2/19/13
Our zoning ordinance does not regulate the number of animals kept for agricultural activities. However, animal husbandry operations must maintain adequate fencing or other means of confinement (CZO Section 51.3.3.a.1).

Related Issues
Commercial enterprises such as kennels and equestrian facilities require site plan and/or permit approval

FAQ #18: Can I have a horse on my property? Revised 2-15-13
Horses are regulated by our zoning ordinance as equestrian facilities. A permit is required.

An equestrian facility is any building, structure or land area that is used for an equestrian activity or event.

An equestrian activity is the care, breeding, boarding, rental, riding or training of horses or the teaching of equestrian skills.

An equestrian event is the competition, exhibition of other display of equestrian skills.
Horses are allowed in the following zones subject to permit approval: RPD, RL-T, RL,VMX, TMX.

Note: This information is provided as a service to the customers of the Department of Land Use and Growth Management. Our
responses to questions are based on the St. Mary’s County Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Ordinance as well as
other agency guidelines which are subject to revision from time to time. The information is intended to be a general guide for typical
projects but may not apply in every case. References are provided should the applicant wish to obtain further information from the
appropriate ordinance. The following abbreviations will apply to the ordinance reference: CZO = Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance;
SO = Subdivision Ordinance.

.....and with a stroke of the pen we lie and bully and abuse our power because we are your county government. ~ good ole boy network!

CountryLady

luvmyponies
:whistle: HOW DO THOSE CROOKS STAY IN OFFICE????

OH, BECAUSE THEY LIE WHEN THE TRUTH WOULD DO THEM MORE GOOD!!!

ISNT THAT RIGHT?
:duel:

Attachments

• FAQ #5-Permit Needed to Build a Barn.jpg
    FAQ #5-Permit Needed to Build a Barn.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 224
  • FAQ #6-How Many Animals Allowed on Property.jpg
    FAQ #6-How Many Animals Allowed on Property.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 161
  • FAQ #18-Are Horses Allowed on Property.jpg
    FAQ #18-Are Horses Allowed on Property.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 183

DeeCee

A horse of course!
:whistle: HOW DO THOSE CROOKS STAY IN OFFICE????

OH, BECAUSE THEY LIE WHEN THE TRUTH WOULD DO THEM MORE GOOD!!!

ISNT THAT RIGHT?
:duel:
Only the FAQs were updated on those dates, not the actual zoning ordinances that refer to equestrian activities (i see where distillery ordinances were updated in Feb 2013 - but equine ordinances remain unchanged). http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/docs/CurrentZO.pdf
The updates to the FAQs were most likely updated in response to questions you had when the citation occurred and they realized the FAQs didn't match the actual ordinances as they are written, so they updated them (but I'm just guessing here).

You can check resolution and ordinance update type, subject, adoption and effective dates here:
http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/countyattorney/resord/resord_list.asp?orderby=dadoption+Date

In any event, why does your unfamilarity with the actual zoning ordinances pertaining to your residential zone make them liars or bullies?

Last edited:

Hoover

Zoning and Horses in Charles County
(1) “Animal” is defined as every nonhuman species of animal, both domestic and wild, including but not limited to dogs, cats, livestock and fowl.

Maryland Horse Zoning for Charles County. Just FYI.

(2) Private horse stables providing for 2 or more horses shall have a setback of 75’ from any public road or lotline. Pastures, when fenced, may extend to the lot line. A minimum of 1 acre per animal is required.

(3) Pens, stalls and runs for animals shall not be located within 50’ of any adjacent residential line.

(4) Horses maintained as pets are Conditionally Permitted in all zones, except BP district, must be on a minimum of 2 acres.

(5) Commercial stables are considered any stable for the housing of horses or other equines, operates for remuneration, hire, sale, or stabling or any stable, not related to the ordinary operation of a farm, within a capacity for more than 4 equine.

(6) Commercial stables may operate with a Special Exception in RC(D), RR, RL, RM, CV, PRD, and MX zones; must be greater than 5 acres and a setback of 100’ for all structures.