Dillon's bus accident

csanders

Anyone hear any details on the Dillon's bus accident that happened yesterday afternoon just prior to the Mattawoman P&R? Apparently the driver ran the stop sign and hit an oncoming car, killing the driver...

archivist13

Why am I not surprised?! The commuter bus drivers are crazy and I am surprised this has not happened sooner. I am so glad that I gave up riding the bus years ago.

Gigi22

I am sorry for all involved, but like posted earlier I am not surprised.. some of those drivers drive like nuts.. Both companies.. They will run a light, they will run over you if you don't get out of the way and speed like crazy. I know they are on a tight schedule but come on.

Now that someone has died maybe they will crack down on the buses and the drivers...

tagryn

In fairness, I drive that road every day and people regularly ignore the posted 45 MPH speed limit on Mattawoman/Beantown Road, even with the sheriffs' running regular speed traps. Going north, that point where the accident happened is coming around a gradual curve, and regardless of whether he had right of way or not, from the condition of the vehicle after the crash the car was roaring down the road and plowed right into the side of the bus.

I feel sorry for the young man's family, but with how people drive that road, it was only a matter of time before it happened to somebody.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
In fairness, I drive that road every day and people regularly ignore the posted 45 MPH speed limit on Mattawoman/Beantown Road, even with the sheriffs' running regular speed traps. Going north, that point where the accident happened is coming around a gradual curve, and regardless of whether he had right of way or not, from the condition of the vehicle after the crash the car was roaring down the road and plowed right into the side of the bus.

I feel sorry for the young man's family, but with how people drive that road, it was only a matter of time before it happened to somebody.

:yay:

And before he went to Dillion, I rode with the driver involved on Keller. He's a very good driver, slower than most and very cautious.

~mellabella~

Are the commuter buses hard to drive? I watched one yesterday on 5 who kept coming into the other lane. He/she was doing the speed limit, but they couldn't stay in their lane to save their soul! Pushed 3 different people to the far side of their lane to avoid being hit.

HoyaLawya

Dillion and Keller Bus Drivers are unsafe

I have called in comlaints to the number on teh sticker on the back of both bus lines. I start seeing them near the navy yard and heading down 295 in DC then all the way to Clinton. Every day, yes every day, these busses will stay in the far left lane of the freeway before the merge to 295 and then cut over at the last minute. I see them get on near the navy yard from the center lane, run the red light or just cut off traffic that is legally in the left lane for the on ramp. I have been cut off by these jerks at least once a week. I must have called in 10-20 complaints over the last couple of years. There is clearly a record of their unsafe and reckless driving practices. As an attorney myself, I am sure that any suit against Dillon bus company will be able to find a past history of complaints and the failure of Dillon management to do anything about them. My heart is saddened for such a tragic loss. Even if the young man was driving fast, the bus was at fault for not even bothering to stop at the stop sign. The bus driver's driving days are over because he will get the maximum 12 points for this accident.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Schedule Schedule Schedule
Keeping to the schedule is what keeps riders using their service
Keeping to the schdule is how they control costs
and meeting the schedule is how the bus driver is rated.

If you were to follow larger delivery trucks, naking the same types of daily runs, you'ld see the same type of driving.

It's wrong, but it's a way of life on the road. Unfortunately cops are more interested in writing speeding tickets then pulling over reckless drivers. I can understand why, speeding is easily quantified - you drove over the speed limit as measured by a certified device. Reckless can be a matter of opinion.

E

EmptyTimCup

Carlin Denard Biles, 20, was heading north in a 2012 Ford Focus at about 6:15 p.m., and was just south of Chaney Place at the park-and-ride lot when the bus, driven by Anthony Ricardo Fairchild, 46, of Glenarden, pulled into the road preparing to head south into St. Mary’s County, according to reports from the Maryland State Police.

Damn Gobberment Mandated Fuel Economy .............. might have lived if it had been a 69 Ford LTD instead of a shoe box