Dishes that were once popular but hard to find now

still crave them occasionally, fried bologna sandwiches :yum:

That reminds me when we were on a college diving trip to a quarry in Pennsylvania. We were college students, didn't prepare well, and kinda ran out of food. The only thing left was bologna and hamburger buns. We fried the bologna on a stick over the fire and put it on the bun. Called it a sludge burger.

lovinmaryland

When we were kids my parents idea of Chinese food was that la choy canned stuff. OMFG it was TURRRIBLE!

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 156

DEEKAYPEE8569

Anybody make Shepherd's Pie anymore? That 6x9 casserole dish using mashed potatoes as a crust; filled will browned ground beef, onions, corn and anything else one might think to include, topped with a layer of mashed potatoes? I haven't had that in years.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Anybody make Shepherd's Pie anymore? That 6x9 casserole dish using mashed potatoes as a crust; filled will browned ground beef, onions, corn and anything else one might think to include, topped with a layer of mashed potatoes? I haven't had that in years.

that's most definitely a staple in today's average household. That's the type of dish that'll never go out of style and all generations can appreciate and easily make. Not for this list.

glhs837

Power with Control

Couple three times a winter at least. Great stuff

PeoplesElbow

You know what cracks me up about finding recipes for this on the internet? A lot of them say "a great way to use leftover mashed potatoes" Who in the hell has leftover mashed potatoes?

My mom use to make huge batches from scratch because my dad liked "tater cakes" the next day, I hated them. They were basically fried mashed potatoes, pancake shape and size.

PeoplesElbow

Ooh, I've got one: chicken a la king.

:barf:

That was a staple in every home I knew growing up. Good riddance.

My freshman dorm back in 1992 use to have chicken a la king once a week. I had never heard of it and scarfed that stuff up. They also had 2-3 different kinds of quiches too every week, also never heard of a quiche, I asked the lunch lady what was a Quickie and got an odd look.

My mom use to make huge batches from scratch because my dad liked "tater cakes" the next day, I hated them. They were basically fried mashed potatoes, pancake shape and size.
My grandma made those, called them potato pancakes. Hers were pretty good, seasoned up and fried golden brown. Not much different than hash browns.

PeoplesElbow

I make them once a week and use the entire bag for just two people. I'm always saying side dish for meatloaf, topper for cottage pie, etc but the next day there's never any left. I make really good mashed potatoes.

Wow two people eat 5 lbs of potatoes?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
When we were kids my parents idea of Chinese food was that la choy canned stuff. OMFG it was TURRRIBLE!

That made me gag a little

:barf: OMG, my parents did, too! We were overseas where we had the most wonderful food in the world available to us and my mom STILL made this god-awful gunk! :jameo: Navy family of 5 and she would stretch those dollars. Well, I could not eat it, I would gag. I went hungry on Chop Suey night, because the rule was you ate what was made, no substitutions, and I couldn't stomach it. :bawl: